Mitani 4rt Clutch Plates

big dave

dear ferret catcher

I would like to point out a great untruth in your message .

you used the phrase.''the 4rt does not tend to suffer fromr DRAG!!!''

well, mine sure does!!!...its the draggiest clutch I've ever had .....

and you use engine oil in the tranny ????....impossible, I would have no clutch with engine oil!!!..........where did you buy this machine????

I agree with masso. The clutch problem demonstrates itself not only with clutch engagement and dis-engagement in the sections but also during starting when the engine is hot and when trying to start the bike when in gear. Placing the bike in neutral does not always help the problem. To me these are indications of clutch drag. There does not seem to be any oils or lubricants that help overcome it. Will be very interested to hear how the Mitani system works from those who have purchased the kits. From what I have heard the 06 4RT does not suffer from any of these problems so Honda must have made significant changes in the clutching system.

:D

My bike is an 05 with recommended lubricants. Apart form the usual problem of the clutch sticking sometimes from cold on the first occassion of selecting a gear, as happens on many bikes, there is no drag at all when riding. It is just the sharpness of the take up that is the problem.

There is a certain amount of drag on any clutch when kicking a bike in gear, not so noticeable on a 2 stroke but it is there, but more noticeable on a 4 stroke due to the increased compression which means you can't spin the engine as fast as a 2 stroke on the kickstart. 4 stroke MX and enduro bikes can also be a bitch to start in gear at times. Much easier in neutral but in riding they suffer no drag at all.

The only time my bike is a problem to start is when it is in gear, although I can start it in gear sometimes. Put it in neutral and it will go 1st or 2nd kick every time, hot or cold makes no difference.

I haven't had any problems with my clutch on my 4rt. I use ELF's HTX740 gearbox oil, which I change freqwently. I like the clutch motion on the bike, it's so smooth. Changing the master cylinder for the bigger one from a 315 seems quite wierd, as this would make the clutch more heavy and more snappy?! (same amount of pulling the lever moves more fluid to the clutch cylinder than the stock one).

As always, I could be off on this ;-)

go on tell us what oil it is, as i will be in for some later on

this week, tony is also putting me 10 oil filters to one side

aswell after my sucessfull biding on ebay.

:D

Edited by jsp

not that you asked me but I take a little different approach. I dont wait for the oils to get dirty. It only takes a little over 500cc for the engine so I change it every couple rides maybe 6-8 hrs of running. I know I am anal but I figure if I can afford a $7500 bike then I should change the oil often. I have never had oil related failure but neither has my buddy who hardly ever changes his!!!! I just cant do that besides it keeps me out the wifes hair when I am in the shop--trying to keep marital bliss!!

Oil is cheap, engine rebuilds ain't. (especially for four strokers)

I also change the oil frequently, about 15-20 hrs use, or three trials. Air filter gets cleaned after every ride, using PJ1 filter cleaner. The amount of cr*p that comes out of it is surprising, and i'd rather it in the sink than my engine internals.

Plug is still the original. Valves checked every 6-7 trials.

Starts up second or third time, and, hopefully will last an age, because it will take me an age to gain the neccesary skills to exploit the bike's capabilities!!

• 5 years later...