Addingham Moorside Closure

shercoo

I was at Addingham yesterday and it is true the council are closing it Monday apart from about 14 days a year of organised trials. I'm absolutely shocked and mad that the council can so easily close such a place like this, which has been going for so many years, from a complaint by someone living close by. Is there nothing we can do to stop these people ruining it for so many of us?? The problem is like the guy earlier said, we just sit back and accept whatever the council says. Something needs to be done!! Any ideas guys??

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very child like but a partition could be created and i'm sure we'd do are best to help out in signing it.

I think all the clubs that use the venue should pay for a lawyer to defend are case but in reality a club that will very probably get to run it's yearly trials there is not going to fork out good money to pay for other people to practise there!.

i just hope somebody out there can find a solution to are problem. :rolleyes:

The one thing i don't understand is the fact that he wants to close such a great piece of land just because he couldn't get his paper, that is one sad man :D:o

You see around here he'd just "disappear", but I hear that's illegal in other parts of Britain. :rolleyes: Edit: thought I better sneak a smilie in there - big brother could be watching :D

We really do need to continue the campaign that got underway when DEAFra were at their worst. Trials needs to be promoted as the responsible ecological motorsport, although then we're separating ourselves from MX and Enduro - which although less environmentally friendly, do have the money to do something about it - and money talks in this country.

Edited by bikespace

I honestly can't believe the council are in there right minds :D I can completely agree with the council wanting to get the excessive noise issue resolved but closing it only effects the majority of people who dont have noisey bikes. What sort of people can do this to trials riders, do we have to start resorting to terrorism to start getting the support we need from these people. When you look at all the support they give to groups they consider to be a threat to society and then look at the way they treat generally law abiding hard working people it makes you wonder if it is all worth it :crying: .

As for ideas get a petition together with as many user groups as possible that benefit from this venue. Get in touch with your MP and the police try to get them on your side, after all they dont want bikes riding illegally do they :crying::P Try to come to an agreement with the council to allow continued usage and you in your turn will stop all noisey bikes using the land, if thats the problem? More often than not its used as a global excuse for ridding society of the evil breed of people in this world that just happen to like bikes :o (Its about time all the manufacturers worked together to stop this at source rather than leaving it up to a few thoughtless/selfish induviduals :()

I'm starting to rant :rolleyes:

You see around here he'd just "disappear", but I hear that's illegal in other parts of Britain. :o Edit: thought I better sneak a smilie in there - big brother could be watching :crying:

We really do need to continue the campaign that got underway when DEAFra were at their worst. Trials needs to be promoted as the responsible ecological motorsport, although then we're separating ourselves from MX and Enduro - which although less environmentally friendly, do have the money to do something about it - and money talks in this country.

Good idea :rolleyes: How to get the message to people is tough though, a programme soley about trials will never get onto the main TV channels.Maybee if it was a feature on another programme? Countryfile was covering the Yorkshire Dales last week :D

Our problem as a sport is that we are too small in number so it'd be hard to make our voices heard

At Hawkstone you have both disciplines with Trials & MX and theres plenty of people with vested interests in those 2 sports to put up a fight however it needs our governing body to get a grip with these issues and deal with them like I said. If we need to get involved via petitions or whatever then tell us what we have to do which will have the greatest effect and we will do it.

Our problem as a sport is that we are too small in number so it'd be hard to make our voices heard

At Hawkstone you have both disciplines with Trials & MX and theres plenty of people with vested interests in those 2 sports to put up a fight however it needs our governing body to get a grip with these issues and deal with them like I said. If we need to get involved via petitions or whatever then tell us what we have to do which will have the greatest effect and we will do it.

I think there's plenty of people willing toput a lot of hard work in to help the sport but we don't know exactly what we should be doing :rolleyes:

I don't know the situation surrounding the closure of Addingham moor, Are we talking Mr. Fothergill's land Silsden folk call the Nab.

http://www.silsden.net/index.html

This is the Silsden web site, you'll find the forums under news and views on the front page, I would start by asking why the council are closing down a well used area for Silsden youth to ride Trials, and BMX bikes, while the biggest complaint in Silsden by the youth is nothing to do.

Start a topic and ask.

Good call Ishy - that seems like the ideal place to voice your views. Get your point across - the organised, responsible side of motorsport being killed off. Reference to Dougie (an inspiration to youth riders), being multiple world champion, partly due to the excellent local facilities. Silsden as the root of modern trials in the UK - all that jazz.

I'd get on there myself, but a North Yorkshireman living on the Welsh border probably won't have much sympathy in the Silsden area.

Who've we got local to Addingham - preferably someone with kids and the potential of seeming fairly responsible?

I'm sure the inital correspondence to the council could be a group effort :rolleyes:

I don't think bikespace has to read about Silsdon problems - the same thing happens most Saturday nights in Oswestry (Where he lives) - I was appalled at the state of my old home town when I last visited in 2001.

large groups of drunken youths assembled outside pubs -looking for a fight - spitting on any older person trying to get past on the sidewalk - the local Parish Church now has wire across the stained glass windows because of yobs throwing beer bottles when they come out of the pubs across the street ( you know the ones Gaz - The Bell - The Oak ) - However I suspect that this happens in many other small towns all over the UK - maybe it's time they re-introduced conscription in the Army.

Maybe it's time they re-introduced conscription in the Army.

Bloody great idea that is. Have you been watching Bad Lads Army on the TV? It shows just what can be done with a wayward youth. The other week they had WW2 verterans in their talking to them and recounting their war experiences.. It certainly changed these lads for the better.

All we get in this country is kids getting TV & Video games and going on holidays when they done wrong. :D

These damn liberal woosie hippies that are now in power aint got a clue! :rolleyes: (My father said that bless him :o )

I don't think bikespace has to read about Silsdon problems - the same thing happens most Saturday nights in Oswestry (Where he lives)

Round here is peace and tranquility after growing up around Middlesbrough and Stockton in the 70's/80's :unsure: I'm sure Cota Kid will vouch for that.

Anyway, we digress - have we got anyone in the Addingham area that's likely to want to front this??? I'd imagine just a letter to the council, or an email via their site would be a good start if worded correctly.

Edited by bikespace