Fitting New Tyre Beading

rapid roy

hi ferretflasher

i own a 4rt

never had a problem with fitting tyres to montesa's. :unsure:

but my kid rides a 06 sherco 125 plus i also have a spare wheel

leakee spokes what a pain :)

would the doughnut jobbie be worth while addition to the shed as i ripped the tube when removing it

I also use a 14 inch push bike inner tube to but the tyres on with and it usually works a treat. Just use plenty of lube (soapy water or WD40) and it usually goes on OK.

315/4RT's have solid rims Roy.........there are no spoke holes!! Everything else has, that rim tape needs to be changed or seated properly to seal off the spoke holes. Make sure the rim tape is pushed under the rim slot around the edges. Again use a bit of silicon sealant to help it seal before you fit it....only a bit though.

I have tried those white moose/doughnut jobbies by YOU HAVE USED WORDS OR A PHRASE WHICH ARE NOT PERMITTED ON THIS WEBSITE. PLEASE DELETE YOUR POST/TOPIC. DO NOT TRY TO CIRCUMVENT THE FILTERS IN PLACE ON THIS WEBSITE, there are OK but fragile and a lot more expensive than a 14 inch bike tube.

If you find the YOU HAVE USED WORDS OR A PHRASE WHICH ARE NOT PERMITTED ON THIS WEBSITE. PLEASE DELETE YOUR POST/TOPIC. DO NOT TRY TO CIRCUMVENT THE FILTERS IN PLACE ON THIS WEBSITE mouse fragile then you are doing something wrong, they and anyother mouse are the right tool for the job and I feel sure that anyone who tries both back to back will appreciate the ease with which a YOU HAVE USED WORDS OR A PHRASE WHICH ARE NOT PERMITTED ON THIS WEBSITE. PLEASE DELETE YOUR POST/TOPIC. DO NOT TRY TO CIRCUMVENT THE FILTERS IN PLACE ON THIS WEBSITE or any other mouse works. As a diy aid to seating tyres its the best thing.

You should always use tyre soap aswell, wd40 is plain wrong. If this is the standard of workshop ability you should have there should be a goverment health warning on your posts.

Nigel Dabster is quite right, never use WD40 or anything other than tyre soap.

If the wheel rim is cleaned thoroghly you have no need to use silicon to seal the rim band, again just use plenty of tyre soap and the band will just pop into place and seal perfectly - you may need silicon around the valve though. Remove the valve core when inflating the tyre and a with garage forecourt air line, tyre soap and a bit of help from your hands and knees the tyre will blow out to the bead with no problem!

Just to stir things up :D

Why do we not use WD40?

I must admit I don't think I've had to, but i would have no hesitation in doing so if I felt the need.

As I've mentioned before, I never use chain lube on my chain, I use WD40 and get better mileage out of my chain than most.

I quite often spray around the rim to stop the spokes rusting. I've no doubt I've over-sprayed on the tyre while doing this and I'd never bother to wipe it off for fear of it eating away my tyre :)

I use hairspray to hold my grips on, because lets face it I've got no other use for it, and it works.

I put mint sauce on beef because i like it, and it works.

Rules are there to be broken. If you're going to say it's wrong, at least explain to us simpletons why it's wrong. :unsure:

It is quite simple BS, the use of petrolium products may soften and deteriorate the rubber. The tire may not meet its designed 10 year life cycle if this happens!

On the other hand, I have heard that if you paint the tire with the mint sauce it will give you better grip on the rocks!

:unsure:

WD40 state that their product is safe for almost all surfaces including specifically tyres.

They recommend WD40 as a cleaning product for tyre walls and to provide a shine to tyre walls including white wall tyres and it is mentioned specifically in their FAQ's and in their suggested use guide.

Presumably if they are recommending it for car tyres which might be on for a year or two, then it's not going to dissolve my X11 in two or three months.

If WD40 are willing to open themselves up to litigation by advising people to use it to rot away their high speed road tyres, then I'm happy with it on my Sherco.

Old wives tale I reckon ya big bluffers :unsure:

In fact I'm going out to spray my wifes tyres with it now as a test.

I'll keep you posted :)

If you want to put a lubricant on your tyre bead rim then do it, I am certainly not suggesting it rots the tyre. Alexz's dad puts wd 40 on the tyre to soften it a little, and it does.

If you have srayed the wifes tyre rub your hand on it and see if its black It will be. Now if your tyre move s round on the rim and doesn't seat as well then that might not be so good. Tyre soap doesn't have this effect so imho is a more suitable product.

Using the mint sauce analagy, sort of, if you put silicone grease your tyre will fit nice and easy, but I would love to see you dump the clutch after.

Get a ratchet strap around the tire.

Boil some water and pour it over the tire to soften it up.

Works like a charm!

Make sure that once the bead grabs you remove the ratchet strap.

Montesa rims rule but unfortunately i also have to deal with leaking

spokes.

I personally use a bit of fix a flat in the tire and ride it as soon as its mounted.

So far three tires and several flippings all has been sealed.

--Biff

I used wd40 once and spun the bead on rocks. You could acutall see the tire

spinning on the rim.... not good. I probably used 3/4 of a can wresteling with the thing

so most of that was my fault.

So there you go! Myth Busted! Actual testimony from someone who knows first hand!

Although he thought it evaporated, it did not! The petro product soaked into the tire and remained, all the while eating away at the bond between rubber and carbon black! Insignificant on the sidewall outer layer but still acting as a lubricant whilst Biff is trying to climb his hill!

Hey Biff, did you know that if you Yankees pee on your tires during the trial, it will give your cold tires better traction!

Then you have to use the WD to keep your spokes from rusting! And lubing the chain! One swift motion!

The proper beader such as the YOU HAVE USED WORDS OR A PHRASE WHICH ARE NOT PERMITTED ON THIS WEBSITE. PLEASE DELETE YOUR POST/TOPIC. DO NOT TRY TO CIRCUMVENT THE FILTERS IN PLACE ON THIS WEBSITE will make you chunk the ratchet strap in the junk pile.

:unsure:

Edited by copemech