Rust!

boofont

While all of the previous replies are valid (ahem), I used to have terrible corrosion problems with my enduro bikes and have tried many solutions. As usual however, the oldies are the best:

To remove rust, use Solvol and a toothbrush. If it's really bad and in an area where you're not too bothered about the possibility of scratching, use a stiff wire brush instead. If it's just surface corrosion, spraying with WD40, leaving for a couple of minutes then rubbing with a dry cloth usually does the trick.

To prevent rust (re)occuring, douse the entire bike in WD40 or similar (ProCare is pretty good) after washing. It's probably not a good idea to spray WD40 onto brake disks though ;)

Protect the areas most prone to corrosion (header pipe, spoke nipples etc.) with a coat of vaseline. This will offer pretty good protection against road salt but the only sure-fire way to keep the brown at bay is to hose the bike down after EVERY ride.

I find that not drying my bike "properly" after washing ,is a good way to get corrosion back in the same places that it had taken me ages to clean the corrosion off, before

Only way I have found to cure it ,is to dry off best I can ,then get an oily rag and wipe it on suspect places straight after washing.This also lasts for the next time out ,riding in the mud.(my spoke nipples went rusty before my eyes a few weeks back while riding a stream ,after taking ages cleaning them and not lubeing them after )

I find that when I get home after a good days riding ,the last thing I want to do on a dark ,cold ,winters night ,is spend ages outside washing and drying the bike.But I find what I do, helps a great deal while it gets neglected for a few days in the garage.

As for spraying WD40 ...I ruined 2 sets of brake pads by accidently overspaying the discs.

Regards

N