06 Scorpa Problem

jools

Got a problem with my 06 scorpa (7 months old) thats been doin my head in for the past month.

to cut a long story short; it wont rev out; its pinging - and the strange one, when riding a section on any kind of hill/bank, it start fluffing all the way up, loses its power and when you get to the top its fine again :thumbup: . Its died on me in sections and then it will start first kick and will run fine for about a lap... untill it starts pis**n' about again.

it used to rev really clean at the top end but now i'm lucky if it revs clean past mid range. The spark plugs a couple of weeks old and is chocolate brown. when the spark plug was replaced, it made no difference.

The pinging started at the same time. richened it 1/4 turn at the carb. no difference. dont want to go any more as the bike struggles to rev as it is. The boging down on hills/fluffing I thought it was the floats in the carb but they are correct. All the jets are correct. dont know what else to check.

It has been to the dealer twice, cant find anything wrong with it. Phoned birketts twice they cant think what it is. I origianally thought it was the carb but, i'm adamant now it is electrical. both the dealer and birketts said it absolutly wont be!

Tried all the usual disconnect the kill button etc hasnt done anything either. I'm running the air filter dry as recommended with different filters and still the same. I'm trying parts off a mates bike this week and going to see what happens but in the mean time..... thoughts??!! :lol:

cheers.

is the cooling fan cutting when its supposed to ?

Trace all the wiring from the stator to the plug and check its not earthing somewhere, check the connections?.

very unlikely but are the reed petals ok?

quite unusual to get touble with a scorpa so itsa probably somthing daft.

Check your breather pipe from the fuel filler cap - I've known them to get melted by the exhaust pipe where they run down the front frame tube. They can also get full of mud.

You'll end up with a vacuum in your tank and a shortage of fuel to your carb. Bike usually runs fine for a while then runs crap - leave it for a few mins and runs better again - also gets worse as the trial goes on and your fuel level drops. Well worth shortening it anyway if its long. Worth checking out and very simple to fix.

Thanks for the suggestions

Baldilocks; Yep, the fan is cutting in properly so it is'nt getting hot. Also it has'nt lost any coolant. Checked all the connections etc cleaned all with electrical contact cleaner. no different. Reeds are OK.

P.A; checked the filter in the tap and its clean.

ScorpaF ; I have tried the bike without the inline breather at the cap. No different. I also cut the breather pipe down when I first got the bike so it has no contact with the exhaust and is fine. I was running a Hope fuel cap on the bike but put the origianal one back on for the trial yesterday and did'nt help.

Had to retire from the trial yesterday (second time in the past month) coz the bike was running so sick. Then it back fired and blew the mid-box :lol: which leads to believe its electrical. Had a go on my mates 05 and it runs better than mine ever has done! He's kindly offered to lend me parts off his bike to swap n try.

Thanks again for your thoughts....

No the carb is mint. Never actually taken it off untill a month ago! there was nowt in there tho. Got an airline on all the jets etc.

Yes the wiring for the lights have been taken off...... more explanation needed lpb :lol:

cheers

my 06 has also started pinging/pinking really annoying i have tried all the things u mention,my 05 didnt do it,i am totaly convinced that pinking is caused by slightly advanced ignition.if you have the flywheel tool (i dont) then retard ignition a tiny fraction. Saying this i think your misfiring at top end is electrical breakdown possibly coil,ignition unit. good luck if you find the answer let us know..i hope the 07 doesnt ping/pink i have one on order.but if it does i will buy the flywheel tool.

Edited by blockbob

Hi blockbob. ye the pinging started at the same time as the misfiring etc, which is odd because they may be two different things? I've been running the ignition advanced (just before the indicator recommended) since it was new and it has never done it before.

Ill hopefully be going out on it tommorrow but the bikes are relativly simple, all that can be swapped is the carb and the CDI unit.

Ill report back tomoz :guinness:

Thanks again

No the carb is mint. Never actually taken it off untill a month ago! there was nowt in there tho. Got an airline on all the jets etc.

Yes the wiring for the lights have been taken off...... more explanation needed lpb :guinness:

cheers

Is the cylindrical electrical object still attached(or wired in)to the sub frame near the air box?

Is the cylindrical electrical object still attached(or wired in)to the sub frame near the air box?

Yes it is connected.

Went out on it today with a different carb on with standard settings. The bike ran crap.

It was still pinking, wouldnt rev, hunting. Theirs also like a 'murmer' from the engine, like after you've ridden down the road for a few miles... if you know what i mean :guinness: . went back, put on my mates spark plug which is a Denso (ive been running NGK Platinum) the bike didnt seem any better. rode around for a bit and wasnt happy. played about with the mixture on the carb untill it seemed to run at its best which was another full turn richer than standard!

Still not convinced its the carb because it came off a bike which runs spot on and on mine made no difference untill I richened it a lot. I was pushed for time a bit today so will be riding it on sunday as is for most of the day... if it will run properly. :guinness:

if it isnt the carb, then surely its into electrics?

cheers... :guinness:

Did you say that you have checked your reeds???????

Also just a long shot but maybe air getting in fron the crank case oil seal on the flywheel side???????

Start swapping the electrics over????????

Woodruff key out of alignment on the flywheel?????

Busted ring (ouch!!)