Scott Trial

perce

I've had a few requests for this so to save sending out emails etc. here goes.

The start field is sign posted from the centre of Richmond, it's on the road from Richmond to Markse. OS leisure map #30 is ideal for the area.

Programme with map is available on the start field & most local shop / garages etc.

Get to the start field for 8 ish then you'll get a good look round. or hell lets loose at 9.00am when the first man sets off & they then go at 20 second intervals.

There's then several ways of doing it, you simply can't see everything as it all happens too fast so making a plan & sticking to it is a good idea. The amount of traffic on the day stops you going everywhere, parking can also be a nightmare This is also how I see things, so not all will agree!

Plan 1

Underbanks - first real vantage point of the day. Basically a staircase which has good viewing & good parking. By leaving the start field by 9:15 you'll get a good vantage point here. Great place to go for a first Scott view as they come up here in convoy with 5 or 6 bikes in the section at once. Stop here until all the stars go through as they're starting to cut through the stragglers by now.

By Pass - You'll have a fair bit of time to get here so there's time to stop at Reeth for toilets etc. There's a good pie shop just up the road from the Buck. You'll be able to see some later runners here in petrol check 2 then cross the road to see the early men into petrol check 3. There's normally 3 sections in this group with either the 2nd or 3rd usually being the best hazard. just follow the beck until you find something good. From first man getting here you can stay for approx 3/4 hour, then move on.

Shaw Gutter / Bridge End - It'll be a mad rush to get here, the congestion will be awful, so if you can't do with hassle I suggest going to Reels Head which is the same parking as Underbanks.

Shaw Gutter is a longish walk for a good spectacular Section, it's a bit like Witches Burn in the SSDT. Basically you'll see the flags on the left side of the road, just follow them back. Bridge End is right next to the road after the petrol check, not as good a section but not so far to walk. Stop here only 3/4 hour max.

To avoid going back into the traffic follow the road to Bd Castle, then take the turning to Barningham, then follow the road to Newsham. You've now got 2 options, first go back to the start field where you can watch them finish or walk down through the fields to the last section, follow the road towards Richmond & turn off after Kirkby Hill towards Feldom Ranges. Option 2 is to hang a right in Newsham, head towards Helwith/Holgate, you'll cross the flagged route on the hill top near a cattle grid, then go down to the cross roads & take a right. There's a building about 300 yds on, park up & walk down the road to Goats Splash, you'll find the course flags so turn left & follow them to the section. This is a fairly tough climb which gets worse as the day goes on. If you walk the course back 10 minutes or so from here you'll find another section, Hell Holes, which is in a beck. You can't get from here back to the finish to see the top lads finish so hang around a while & cheer on the also rans, most lads are buggered by here so a bit of encouragement means a lot.

Plan 2

Start Field

Surrender - Leisurely ride up from the start field as the first man isn't due until 11 ish. Hang a left in Markse & then right onto the main road up to Reeth, miss all the traffic at Underbanks. After Pies & Pees in Reeth follow the Swaledale road to Healaugh, turn right at Sunterville & take the narrow road up to Surrender, this will be well sign posted & the only access to Surrender on the day.

There's going to be 2 sections at Surrender & if you want a bit of walk follow the course back 10 minutes or so & you'll find Roys Rocks. Surrender is the Scott icon & probably one of the best spectator hazards.

If you feel like a bit of a walk out Richies Revenge is probably a 15 minute walk up the track after the Surrender sections, it's worth the walk as it's a fairly tough section.

You can watch at Surrender for at least an hour before moving on.

Whaw Bridge - These 2 sections are right next to the road side on the road heading to Tan Hill. Fairly steady but usually slippery as sin & take marks all day. You can stay here for an hour or so.

Now head back towards the start / finish but take in Reels Head first.

Reels Head - decent section which will get harder later on, fair walk from good parking on the Fremington / Marske road. if you want to see the good lads finish you can stay here a maximum of 1/2 hour. The Scott isn't just about the stars though so this would be another place to stay on & encourage the lads out for a tough days sport.

The spectator groups I haven't mentioned in my 2 plans:-

Sleeper Bridge - snotty climb up green rocks, not a lot to look at but takes marks all day long. Look out for some aggressive rides.

Rawcroft - beck section that's under trees so it's usually pretty slippery, although I'd expect a lot of cleans.

Grand Canyon - good section which takes marks, gets progressively worse so don't expect many cleans after the first dozen or so.

Tank Trap - looks absolutely nowt but takes marks, again get's worse as the day progresses.

Black Hills - Absolute nightmare for anyone after the first dozen get through. If it's a very wet day it isn't so bad but if it's dry the mud gets dragged up, it's hell! Long gully with 2 or 3 sections in it so worth the walk.

Where ever you go enjoy your day, park with sense & take all your litter home. Then go down to the Kings Head to bid on all the auction goodies & get p****d. Then you'll be ready for the results sometime about midnight.

Grand Canyon, Tanktrap & Black Hills are roughy in the same place, on the West side of the Arkendale / Low Row road. There's a track leads off the side of this which takes you to Tank Trap, then follow the course flags to Black Hills. No idea have far it is to walk as I've only ever done it on a bike, most likely take you 10 - 15 minutes. You'll get a good view though as very few bother to go there.

I'd say they're worth a fairly long walk but you really want to be staying there for some time to make it worthwhile. I've no idea what sections are being used in there but it's a pig of a place on a dry day in summer, so expect plenty of pushing shoving :lol:

I'm observing at Black Hills and I reckon it will take you about 15 minutes to walk from the road. It's best accessed by turning right in Reeth, heading towards Barnard Castle, then after the pub on the right(3 miles from Reeth) the road forks left towards Tan Hill. Not far along this road, maybe just under half a mile, there's a track, usually with a bar across. Park there somewhere and standing at the bottom of the track and looking to the hills, walk slightly to your left in the direction of five to twelve. They are old lead workings I think and when I observed there about four years ago, the first rider came through and had an easy clean - but I had barely a clean after that. The mud soon covered the rocks and it was really viscious. I know the riders don't like it at all. You get to see a good proportion of the entry through as by then most are still going. It takes about 2hrs 20mins for the entire entry to pass through. Light is bad for pictures and there's no Little Chef up there, and it gets cold because the sun doesn't seem to penetrate. There are three sections usually, but I can't be certain, though I know there are definitely two.

Which is the section that has the big rock in it and the one where chains come of at the top. Becouse iam going ti it we are setting of at 6:30 to get there 4 8:30. Matthew Jones is riding it he is from S****horpe and we are going to support him becouse he rides at our club which is S****horpe Motorcycle Club.

Hey Perce,

Just wanted to thank you again for the briefing.

We arrived late and all the programmes were sold out.

Without this we would have been stuffed!!!

PS Who was observing at section 70 (Goats)?

He provided much conversation, amusement and entertainment for me and the lad all afternoon and gave my lad his old programme.

Please thank him for me.

Malc Reynolds was on Goats, I pulled in there just before Grimbo & Doug came by, then chased off down the road to check the course was OK & get back in front of them again a couple of sections later.