Ty 250 Age ?

vaughan

Can anyone help me to date my TY 250 and any other info as to its Origin,

Is the White frame original.

I have included a couple of photos if this helps.

The Frame number is 498-801910

Cheers,

Vaughan.

post-3272-1161267140.jpg

post-3272-1161267160.jpg

post-3272-1161267162.jpg

post-3272-1161267184.jpg

Edited by vaughan

Hi,

Are you shure of the 498 ? Usually this type of TY250 in the UK are 493. Please recheck also the first digit of the second part, since I did not see any TY in the 8xxxxxx serie.

If we assume the "8" are "3", it says the bike is a ty250 twinshock post 1977.

Regards

I rang the customer service dpt at Yamaha uk 01932 358000, told them what i had.

They asked me to send my engine & frame numbers in writing, in return they sent me a letter stating the age of my bike.

I can use this document in order to get an age related registration for my bike :guinness:

By the way the proof of maufacture letter cost nowt but a stamp. :guinness:

Edited by pitley

The TY250 number prefix changed to 493 starting with the 1976 model which was called TY250C in Australia. The paint schemes for the Aussie, US and Canadian TY250C and TY250D were different to the UK, German, Danish and French bikes so being an Aussie I can't tell from the photos what year yours would have been sold new.

Even though they have different paint and stickers on the tank, side cover and exhaust heat shield, as far as I can tell, all the 493 prefix bikes around the world were mechanically the same.

Your engine # will be 493-301910, the 3's often look like 8's unless you have a DT250 engine, do the engine and frame numbers match? if so then the 8's are 3's. Kickstart appears to be from the RD250 or XS650, recommended conversion for people over 6'6" tall :ph34r:

This dates it as a 1978 manufacture and the graphics are from the '78 model but, Yamaha had a huge unsold stock of these in the US and a lot of the models were returned to Europe and had new graphics fitted to update the look. So you didn't think you were getting an old bike, don't you just love marketing departments :chairfall:

The TY250 was for sale in the uk up until 1984, unchanged from the '77 model apart from the graphics, and of course there was the 'mythical' 1981 TY250H from 1981, but that is another story :blink:

Thanks, Everyone for the help and advice it is much appreciated.

Vaughan.