What Is My New Bike ?

gasgas249uk

:D Nice try guys , some were close but noone got it right. The :angry: was a clue !!

Its a Merlin 1985 DG-350 Louis Gallach replica , named as many will guess after there works rider.

This bike is completely origional and unrestored apart from the rear Betor shocks.

Its completely different from the DG-350 and other Merlin twinshocks and is rare as rockling horse S**t and horny as hell. I'm sure its the only one in the UK , but you never know whats lerking at the back of someones garage , which is where this has been for the past 10 years or so in Spain.I bought it on trust from Spain based upon a few photos and a seller who couldnt speak a word of English.Id send him loads of questions an hed some back with a one liner. I wired him the money and just hoped that it turned up !!.

It was quite and interesting experience !!. It all came good though and further reinforces my view that trial enthusiasts where ever they are in the world, are a good bunch of geezers.

The bike is complete and starts well, runs quiet with lots of compression. I'm planning a full restoration and will post piccies once its done.

If anyone has any of their own piccies of these in action please post them - cheers

Another piccie

Another piccie

I bought it on trust from Spain based upon a few photos and a seller who couldnt speak a word of English.Id send him loads of questions an hed some back with a one liner. I wired him the money and just hoped that it turned up !!.

I just love that... It epitomises what having a passion for something is all about. Go for it and sod the consequences :angry::D:D

Certainly an interesting and rare bike. Get it sorted and out in next year's ACU Classic and add a bit of colour and variety back into the series.

Fanatic,

The wheels are not allowed by the ACU - according to the handbook. I have other 3 spoke Merlins that i have fitted clear perspex spacers to the wheels that you can hardly see and this makes them fall in line with the rules. I plan on making spacers for this bike as well.

Im certainly going to do some of the rounds next year on this bike , along with my others.Its a difficult one as the trouble always is that when you do a bike up and pour your soul into it , you dont want to damage it ,but you want to rider it as well. Its lucky ive got a few spares for when things snap. :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

what a fantastic bike, would love one myself. i often look on spanish web sites at the trials bikes for sale, and have seen some nice bikes there but have never taken it any further. did you have the bike shipped over? if so was it a lot of hassle as this is the major stumbling block in buying from spain.