4rt Caliper Bolts

rhaines

I need to change the pads on the front of my 4rt an the 2 bolts holding the caliper in place will not come out ....seized, and the allen heads are now pretty stripped. I have read that this is a common problem and I am sure I have seen some replacement bolts made of titanium or something. Can anyone help??

:angry:

They're not seized, they're loctited in! Got to be one of the dumbest things going. Drill, Dremmel, Grind, the choice is yours. Set of good quality allen head bolts will replace the pieces of crap that are in there now. Look at the 07 pictures & I think you'll see them replaced with Hex heads.

My 05 had the same problems--surely honda could do better, or at least teach the "ass emblers" the right way to use an impact wrench!! The first thing i did with my replacement was to use a 3/8 socket/allen, whack it with a hammer and remove, then put grease on it! :angry:

What the hell were they thinking when they decided to do that. It would be ok if the bolts weren't made of toffee.

Thanks for the advice anyway chaps. Looks like I am going to be upsetting the neighbours with plenty of hammering tonight. Thanks FF, I thought I,d seen them somewhere, nice to see you are supplying some descent replacements for what has turned out to be a big sh*t eating fly in a very nice bowl of soup!!

They're not seized, they're loctited in! Got to be one of the dumbest things going. Drill, Dremmel, Grind, the choice is yours. Set of good quality allen head bolts will replace the pieces of crap that are in there now. Look at the 07 pictures & I think you'll see them replaced with Hex heads.

................07 PICTURES????.............what 07 pictures?.........................................masso

• 6 months later...

Bugger...... LOL

I just tried to budge the bolt.... managed to twist the allen key i have all the way round so it now resembles a circle :wall:

Any advice on what to do? I have just bought some good quality allen keys on so i can use a 3/8 wratchet... but the damn thing wont stop spinning...

How do i get the damn thing out?

Jza

You can always change the pads by dropping the front wheel and leaving the caliper attached to the fork leg.

If you've rounded out the original socket head bolts (allen) then buy a cheapish set of 1/4" hex screwdriver tips from Machine mart or Maplin or Screwfix, but not from your local market.

In the set you'll find some Torx bits , these resemble a 6 pointed spline and you'll find one a little bit bigger than the hole you've rounded out in the bolts. Hammer the torx bit into the (soft) head of the bolt, put a 1/4" spanner or socket onto the end of it and unwind the bolt.

It would be better if you removed the front wheel, and got a mate to hold a heavy bit of metal (eg. a club hammer head) hard against the caliper on the inside to absorb the shock. You dont want to bash the torx bit in so hard you break off a fork lug.