Stnads For Bikes

fozza321

i'm making a trials bike stand for my gcse project, and would like to hear some feedback from you..

would you prefer a stand tht hold the front wheel up separately from the sump guard stand

would you like it to be all in one, and with a bar resting under the head stock

or just a main center stand which is high and holds both wheels off the ground..

anyother idas please say..

thanks

Fozza, good luck with the exam mate.

I have a DRC stand that I bought for my Enduro bike which sits under the bash plate and is adjustable in height. I still use it for the trials bike as it is quite light and can lift the bike up with the use a lever which allows both wheels to lift off the ground. When the arm is up (stand at its lowest point) the bike can be sat onto it for fueling etc so you dont need to heave the bike up to get it on the stand.

Used to have a front and rear stand for the R6 but not really needed for a trials bike, the race stands have to be that way as race bikes have no sump plate for a stand. The DRC stand also turns which makes life easy for washing the bike as you can just spin the bike around.

Still have my old wooden stand I made years ago which I occasionaly use in the workshop as it lifts the bike much higher

If you're making the stand to sit under the sump, have either a hole or removable section to make it easier to do gearbox oil changes. Came up with that idea in the back of my maths book when I were at school and thought I'd come up with a brilliant new idea, only to find about 2 weeks later that some stand companies already do this !

i am going to make two GRP (glass re-inforced plastic) trays to go under the stnad so i can change the oil easier, i think i am going to use the idea of the jack up stand to raise both wheel off the ground just using one stand, but make it so i can use a foot lever to raise it up, like the "jack in a box" stand...

never know in the future you might be buying a freewheel fozza stand...

or maybe not...

thanks

Wide feet so it don't sink into the lawn when you are washing the bike. Both wheels up and a tray/shelve that flips/slides out to keep tools or bits of the floor whould be good. Some kind of hook/strap to stop the bugger tipping /sliding off when you take one of the wheels out, and all for under a tenner :wall: good luck with the project. :wall:

Purchased a jack up stand at the Dirt bike show last year. Simple pivot arm with a nylon wheel running under the upper shelf. As it passes the centre line of the arm it locks itself into place. Simple really.

The most amazing thing of all was the price.....

i was thinking along the lines of the jack in a box stand, which is teh one you were on about, but the only problem is that they have a solid wood top, i am trying to make mine from box, steel i will post a picture of my initial design... two ticks..

:wall:

heres my initial design that i am going to make, i still need to develop the idea, ie. make it so i can get teh bike on the stand with more ease than having to lift it raelly high, which is why i like the idea of the lever and nylon wheel...

but i'm not sure how to do...???

argh it didn't save...

here it is again

its not the highest quality as it would let me load it up fully, i saved it in paint so if you want to make any good i deas on it, you welcome..

thanks

ps don't laugh, i don't claim to be good at art

:wall:

Pants you need to set youre sights on something better.

What is the stand for?

If its for the workshop then its very different from just holding the bike the side stand is for that.

Is it for removing wheels at a trial or on hard surface??

The bash plate is flat so tippin shpuldn't be a worry, reduce length of base tube it could get in the way.

Dont forget if you take a wheel out it can tip make provision for this.

Sounds like you need to go back to the problem solving stage and sort out clear ideas of what you want it do do not what you want the finished thing to look like?

Suggestion look at all those available first and fault find them to point yuo in the right direction.

Had most stands in my time now have a hydraulic pump up, its taken 30 years to get to it but it is the best available and around