Water In Efi

dixie

Yesterday i answered a question that was really nagging in the back of my mind

i flooded my 4rt in a stream.

i had taken on water in a stream during a trial then went straight over the bars,the bike coughed and stopped

i took the bung of the bottom of the air box lifted the bach wheel to empty it, really gently tried to turn over the motor, felt ok so gave it a kick,it fired straigt away and ran perfectly for the rest of the trial.

stripped it out when i got home and could finde no water or muck in intake body

put in a clean air filter and ran round the block a few times,

maybe this fuel injection aint so bad after all???

It's not really going to make any difference though whether you have a carb or EFI if the bike goes under water. If the engine isn't running when it drowns and water hasn't damaged it, just do as you did and a bike will restart, carb or EFI. If the bike goes under with the engine still running and water gets sucked in, most likely it's going to damage it.

One of our local lads had that unfortunate experience on his 4RT. Fell off it in about a foot of water but the tickover kept the engine running when it went under and inevitably it stopped. They got it out, drained everything off, got all the water out but the damage was already done. Bent valves, bent conrod, scored bore etc. About

Edited by Woody

Yes, I wouldn't disagree with you on that - forgot to mention draining the floatbowl as well as the airbox etc. Was thinking more about the more serious drowning though such as when the bike has played at submarines and taken a lungfull the size of Jordan's

• 2 weeks later...

I was practicing with a few mates once when I set off down a really greasy bank towards what is normally a shallow pond. I realised I couldn't stop so made an instant decision to open her up and try to clear the pond. Much to the amusement of my mates I got didn't get anwhere near clearing it!! Due to the rain the pond was twice the normal depth.

My eejit brother killed his gasser a few years back, went to clean it in a few inches of water...that was actually about 3 feet+ deep, him and bike disappeared....con riod, piston, replate bore....lots of bucks worth...tried really hard not to laugh :):xmas: