Bunny Hopping

masso

me and a few of the lads have been having a discussion/argument regarding when the first rear wheel hop-turn happened?...who started it ??......any of you old timeres remember ????........................................masso

Good post :agree:

Must say at the trial last Sunday, Peak Classic, i did have to ask a couple of the observers "we are supposed to be riding to NO STOP rules surely?". Response was a vage bemused look :D

Not to go over old groumd but i blame allowing riders on modern machinery to enter classic trials :D

The younger and some of the older element then see them playing Zebadee and start trying it on pre65 and twinshocks then the whole thing degenerates from there. Sections get tighter / dafter and the "Classic" entries dwindle and the only difference is it's a modern trial with kids on old bikes

So that was the moment when Trials went into decline ? :lol: Always wondered when it was.

Thanks Motosinge :lol:

:D

I can pinpoint the event when, for my money, the face of trials changed forever. It was the Italian World Championship round in 1981 when SWM riders Giovanni Tosco and Gilles Burgat, the young World Champ-to-be, made a great play of stopping and balancing (feet-up) on a crucial section

The first bunny hop I saw on a trials bike was by Bernie Schreiber around 1981 on a Bultaco. It wasn't in a section though, just showing off bunny hopping on flat ground over a some of people laying down. In his Observed Trials book around 1984 there are photos of him bunny hopping a dozen people on flat pavement. It also shows him demonstrating the rear wheel hop turn. He was also jumping off 7 foot vertical ledges on his Bultaco long before they ever became part of sections.

The first bunny hop I saw on a trials bike was by Bernie Schreiber around 1981 on a Bultaco. It wasn't in a section though, just showing off bunny hopping on flat ground over a some of people laying down. In his Observed Trials book around 1984 there are photos of him bunny hopping a dozen people on flat pavement. It also shows him demonstrating the rear wheel hop turn. He was also jumping off 7 foot vertical ledges on his Bultaco long before they ever became part of sections.

ahhhh.....................well, this looks like the closest answer to my question......the rear wheel turn!!!

not just hopping around....somehow I get the feeling there was some europeans doing it first...............................................masso

Seconded, Schrieber but it was earlier than '81. Probably 'bout '78.