4 Stroke Or 2 Stroke Sherco

ridgrunr

I hope they stick with it!! cure the starting, I agree! that it should be easy to start for any rider all of the time. in the sections, has many have said, it is a great trials bike.

Some mention EFI, on the 3.2 with the power it's got, I think it would be too vicious, I think they can cure it with the right carb setup, hope they do!! because I think it's the best riding bike yet.

And in the 06 frame with shorter swing arm, it's even better :guinness:

i have said all along the sherco motor when it runs is fantastic

again this is my experience,and the few people i know,who owned 4t s with the exeption of re500,he has done wonders with his but it is rummored he has rebuilt the engine seven times and changed the carb and whole ignition system

big bucks..

all i want is a bike to ride trials on not develope

Dixie,

Nice rumour, but unfortunately not true!

Never rebuilt the engine....let alone 7 times, did fit the replacement cam though!

Not replaced the 'whole' ignition system, just fitted supplied kit a little differently than was suggested.

Have changed the carb, fitted Keihin supplied from Paxau in Spain. Without a doubt this was the best mod of any, not just for starting.

Many riders have tried mine from Youths upwards, all are able to start it hot/cold without issue, even after stalling or throwing it away!

Cheers

RE500

.... because I think it's the best riding bike yet.

:agree: I loved riding the bike to bits.

I done some mods on mine mainly with carburation. Fitted a a Keihin and tweaked jetting quite a lot.

The Keihin as expected gave the bottom end a real smooth feel with effortless pulling power. But when opened up it had arm wrenching power. :moon:

The sound of it was just perfect. None of the other 4t's have anywhere near the same tonal quality !

When the second hand value gets to around a grand I will buy one again and see if I can get EFI on the thing :guinness:

Have changed the carb, fitted Keihin supplied from Paxau in Spain. Without a doubt this was the best mod of any, not just for starting.

Many riders have tried mine from Youths upwards, all are able to start it hot/cold without issue, even after stalling or throwing it away!

Cheers

RE500

I tried the Keihin RE, didn't like it, big flat spot in the middle just when you wanted it.

Would like to know what jetting is in your carb and any other mod ?

Didn't mount the ign module under the carb, and the new coil where the ign module was placed did you ?

I did!! :guinness:

I'll try post a pic .

How often does the scorpa go out for a ride. Ive never heard you talk about it.

Ah now, the Scorpa SY250 doesn't belong to me, that is the property of "Even Bigger Dave" (son of Big John). He's about three inches taller than me and even more handsome (sickening isn't it?)

The Beta REV3 isn't mine either, that belongs to "Steveo", (younger son of Big John), little bit smaller than me for the moment, he's the rock drummer of the family who is into a bit of downhill and 4 cross MTB at the moment! Everything he does, he does quite well, American Football, Golf, even more sickening he usually whups me at trials as well!

Big John

Hey Dad, I found this great place in Australia to live....Dont think I will be back for awhile,would you mind sending my Beta over,Tell mum not to worry, will be in touch soon .

Steveo :guinness:

hello re 500

did hear that rumor from a certain bearded british classic champion from your kneck of the woods,the one who is also pretty tidy on his scorpa.

seemed a bit extream but entirly belevable.

i wish i had been in a position to keep my sherco as a future project but i had a kitchen to finish.

after your help the sherco was 99% sorted but not quite.

the monty is no way as good motor wise but its got the build quality and reliability,and i am starting to get used to it.

hello re 500

did hear that rumor from a certain bearded british classic champion from your kneck of the woods,the one who is also pretty tidy on his scorpa.

seemed a bit extream but entirly belevable.

i wish i had been in a position to keep my sherco as a future project but i had a kitchen to finish.

after your help the sherco was 99% sorted but not quite.

the monty is no way as good motor wise but its got the build quality and reliability,and i am starting to get used to it.

Hi Dixie,

Yes, I guessed it was 'him', he does like a good storey, i'll have a chat with him on Sunday!.

Glad your enjoying the Mont, maybe the Beta will be better than both...according to the bearded one.

RE500

re 500

one of my buddies has ordered one,so i will be able to do a comparison pretty soon (i hope)

i do like the look of the beta,and was allways happy with the build quality of mine(had three in a row)

lets hope it is as good as it looks

Hi Dixie,

Yes, I guessed it was 'him', he does like a good storey, i'll have a chat with him on Sunday!.

Glad your enjoying the Mont, maybe the Beta will be better than both...according to the bearded one.

RE500

That has just cheered me up after a bad week at work :guinness::moon::wall:

I'd liked to have tried the Sherco 4T as the concept of a bigger motor with more torque is my preference. I was asked to try one at a trial when they first came out as I was on my 4RT and the dealer was interested in how I thought they compared. Unfortunately a split intake hose meant the bike wasn't available afterwards so never did get to try it.

If it grips anything like a 290, has more torque and a linear power delivery and had the starting problem resolved I think I might like one.

Cheers

RE500

I tried the Keihin RE, didn't like it, big flat spot in the middle just when you wanted it.

Didn't mount the ign module under the carb, and the new coil where the ign module was placed did you ?

I'll try post a pic .

Got nudged down the line RE 500, seen you lurking so I thought I would re post, would like to know any info on your carb.

Cheers, ishy.

Hi Dixie,

RE500

That has just cheered me up after a bad week at work :wall::moon::D

I'd liked to have tried the Sherco 4T as the concept of a bigger motor with more torque is my preference. I was asked to try one at a trial when they first came out as I was on my 4RT and the dealer was interested in how I thought they compared. Unfortunately a split intake hose meant the bike wasn't available afterwards so never did get to try it.

If it grips anything like a 290, has more torque and a linear power delivery and had the starting problem resolved I think I might like one.

When I saw that comment about the split hose I thought !! Hmmm I know who you are as it stopped me having a go on it too

post-1163-1165529205.jpg

The 4T that you refer to was being ridden by Simon Evans if you remember and watching him ride sold it to me on the spot :moon: He was awesome on it that day ... until the intake split :guinness:

post-1163-1165529228.jpg

He still rides it to this day although he does ride a 290 2007 as well.

I find it disappointing the 320 has been somewhat over looked because of its teething problems on the early models. I like the bike (looks) more so than the 4rt. Could the way to make it popular is to have a 4-stroke review of all the different 4-stroke bikes.

i should PM this thought to Andy, TC.... Could TC find a rider/s to write bike reports?

Edited by spud

When I saw that comment about the split hose I thought !! Hmmm I know who you are as it stopped me having a go on it too

post-1163-1165529205.jpg

The 4T that you refer to was being ridden by Simon Evans if you remember and watching him ride sold it to me on the spot :moon: He was awesome on it that day ... until the intake split :guinness:

post-1163-1165529228.jpg

He still rides it to this day although he does ride a 290 2007 as well.

Yes, he was riding it well as you say. One or two sections were a bit tight for a non trick rider like me but he didn't mind them. Bloody kids :wall: I was disappointed not to be able to try it as it did look to perform well and as Spud says, it is a good looking bike. Thing is though, I was just behind him for most of the trial and I can't honestly remember that there seemed to be any starting problems with it. The sound really reminded me of a KTM though with the standard exhaust still fitted. Quiet exhaust and a muffled induction suck from the airbox. Sounded stifled actually but obviously wasn't/isn't.

I do hope they get it sorted and reintroduce it (it's not on the website as an 07, just an 06) Even if I'm not to keen on a particular model for whatever reason, it's still nice to see variety out there and if they all offer 2 and 4 stroke models, except Honda of course, it can only make trials more interesting. Assuming they were all reliable and good quality, a 320 4T engine would give the Sherco a head start for me when it came to which one.

Cheers

RE500

I'll try post a pic .

Got nudged down the line RE 500, seen you lurking so I thought I would re post, would like to know any info on your carb.

Cheers, ishy.

Hi

I was sent a new type Keihin with the small hose tail in the inlet stub, this connects by tube to a 'hot start' valve similar to the one supplied in the Sherco kit.

Settings are:

50 Pilot

125 main

~ 1 1/4 out air screw depending on weather.

Didn't write down the needle/slide code.

Engine response is totally linear, no flat spots or jumps in power.

Maybe JarvisSherco is lurking and will post his and Alans impressions of my 4T, especially grip compared to the 290!

Will post rest of info after carb stripdown.

Cheers

RE500