World Contenders

alan bechard

Lane, I appreciate you instructing at the youth nationals. I was unable to be there the first two days so my stepson(26) filled in as watchdog for our 10 year old. He said he learned more in 30 minutes with you than a day with another coach. Guess he likes tough love! I liked the way you made us try harder than we were used to. Now every time I am in a section I am always thinking "Use it ALL, all the way to the ribbon".If I am paying for instruction I'd be happy to spend my money with you! Besides I don't have standards to get in the way. :xmas:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I appreciate the fact Lewisport did what they did, I too think the rockpile is a bit boring as compared to TTC terrain!

I think most riders might be receptive to a paid vacation to do Training Days at TTC! Why not Grimbo or Conner? Maybe others! Possibly Atom?

One thing about most riders, they love to ride! I do not think any of them is getting rich!

I do hope Alexz and Sam had a good time and are able to do it again! Great kids! :xmas:

Nigel Dabster Posted Today, 11:38 AM

Alexz said that death Valley was the best place for practice he had ever been to!!

For having such good riders you must not have good riding areas :xmas: It was alright, but nothing that great. What's he going to think if he ever makes it to Donner?

Oh, and that wasn't Death Valley :)

Not Death Valley, whatdayamean? Why did Patrick almost die there then, sirhc? Sure it was Death Valley, it makes such a much better story. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge! I'd like to see a world round there and who from Europe wouldn't want to come and ride in Death Valley?

The trouble with Donner is it's at 7000ft and the bikes don't run as well. The Death Valley location has much better sections, I also believe you could have 12 World Class sections with about a 1/4 mile loop, which would be amazing for spectators. Ridgecrest is also a much nicer town than Truckee for hotels, shopping and places to eat.

Zippy, I think that Patrick, Noel and Citytrials are committed to the task of doing whatever it takes to make an impact on the World Championship. Patrick is motivated, Noel and family are nice, wonderful people that anyone would love and Citytrials is a junkyard dog, just what you need when people start to push you around...............Just the ticket, in a pinch.

Paul, thanks for the kind word. I love to do training and help people!

I also really enjoy going to other riders schools. I've been through Sammy Miller and the Mick Andrews schools, observed Lampkin's, the FIM Women's training camp in Italy and now Alexz and Sam's schools. I've also watched them teach at TCC, so I've witnessed a lot of great people at work!

I've made it a study to observe teaching styles and tried hard to learn from others, each individual brings something unique to the table. I believe you can learn little tips everywhere that can add to your overall knowledge, that's why I try to always keep an open mind and a sharp eye on the scene.

I don't wish to sound like a braggard but I would be surprised if there has been anyone who has had more time as an instructor than me. For several years I was the head instructor at the week long training camps at Donner, Which put a lot of hours, days and weeks in my log book as an instructor. I also believe I've had great success understanding the female trials athlete, by training Debbie Evans.

Of late, I've secretly put in a lot of effort training the Califorina Youth trials team. Now of course those kids are better than me and they don't really care much what I think or say about their riding anymore, which is fine and brings great satisfaction to me to see them doing so well.

It felt good to work with the all you guys at the Youth Nationals, a class is only as good as the students. And you guys were great!

Riders with world championship aspirations need to ride a variety of terrain, that includes the stuff at TTC and also the big dry grippy rocks out west (like Spain!).

Adam Raga used to be strong on the big rocks but struggle in the wet, slick stuff where you just knew that Doug would dominate. Well, this year he showed that he can ride and win on any terrain, any time, any where. The two dominating wins in the U.S. rounds turned out to be the deciding factor in his 2006 championship.

Point is, it is important for young riders to challenge themselves in unfamiliar conditions and ride in all kinds of terrain. Seems to me that some English lads would do well for themselves to ride a bit in California. It's so much like Spain, lots of the people there speak Spanish!

After we have the best-ever family camp and Youth Nationals at TTC this coming July (and Indoor Championship!) you can expect to see me out at Donner in early August as I am determined to give Mr. Bill a hand with the western Youth Nationals this year. It's great for our kids to ride in both places!

dan

No Joke Malibu, I found Ridgecrest much more friendly and modern than Truckee. Debbie also thought it was a one horse town not having been there in a while but it's really taken off, it even has a Starbucks now! What most impressed me was the JP Racing Gas Station, the first one I've ever seen anywhere, Racegas at the pump!

They have tons of Hotels, the food is good "try to find breakfast before a trial in Donner." We even found a PlayStation 3 in town for under $600 bucks that we snapped up right away. Try to find a PlayStation 3 in Truckee or Malibu, Don.

Dan, of course your right that World Champions must be great at everything. That's why Raga and Wigg won! Watching Raga on Mexican TV, it was obvious that he is still not as good in the Mud as he could be, I believe his GASGAS is overpowered.

This next year will be interesting, can Raga hang on? Wigg will be riding his 125cc GASGAS against the 250cc bikes in the Jr World Championship not in the 125cc class which he is still young enough to contest. That's leaves the 125cc World Title WIDE Open, Could Smage be the next 125cc World Champion?

Ridgecerst might be a nice town, but that is no place for a world class trial. It's totaly flat desert with rock piles here and there, it's no comparision to Donner or the TTC. Besides can you imagine being out there in the summer?

Of late, I've secretly put in a lot of effort training the Califorina Youth trials team. Now of course those kids are better than me and they don't really care much what I think or say about their riding anymore, which is fine and brings great satisfaction to me to see them doing so well.

It was so secret that we missed it :) I think there are three young team members that are not as good as you yet that could use some training :xmas:

Ridgecerst might be a nice town, but that is no place for a world class trial. It's totaly flat desert with rock piles here and there, it's no comparision to Donner or the TTC. Besides can you imagine being out there in the summer?

Can you imagine being in Donner in the winter? You might end up eating your relatives! :xmas: