Not Running Right

leesmichael

hi everyone

My sherco has been runnign poorly for the past few weeks, we've stripped it down twice and cleaned out all the jets and the carb. We've also moved the needle setting back to standard as we had to move it when we first got the bike. any suggestions welcome thanks.

I would put the clip back to where it was and look for something simple, like new plug, bad gas,clogged air filter, clogged fuel filter, bad cap on the coil. Tell us what it sounds like, is it wuah,ning,wuah,ning or more like potato,potato oh wait thats a Harley

You did turn the fuel tap on did n't you :chairfall: Have you checked the filter on the carb where the fuel line attaches. Sherco changed the ignition systems on the 04 bikes to Leonelli, might be worth checking the stator and like Brian R says, have you checked the plug, cap and lead. Also if you have a kill switch fitted is that playing up.

Edited by John.B

check the float needle valve by removing the carb and blowing down the fuel pipe, air should pass freely with the carb the right way up then turn the carb upside down and it should stop, then it sounds like you need to adjust the air screw, get the bike nice and warm, turn the tickover up ever so slightly the adjust the air screw in or out until the bike ticks over at its fastest. do all the adjustments without touching the throttle. it should then sound like, :chairfall: yyyyiiiiinnnngggg,

Edited by paul w

Just had a thought, when you cleaned you carb did you blow through the two very small holes situated on the mouth of the inlet side of the carb (airbox side). They can easily block as they are very fine drillings. I think if I remember correctly, that one is connected to the pilot jet area which if blocked may cause erratic pickup from tickover. Sometimes I find a slime like substance is blown out on my carb when I do this. If you have already done this then apologies. Good luck.

Have downloaded this link, page 15 shows the two holes in the carb inlet mouth.

Link to Sherco website. http://www.sherco-moto.com/downloads/wayne...nstructions.pdf

Edited by John.B

• 2 weeks later...

. Sometimes I find a slime like substance is blown out on my carb when I do this. If you have already done this then apologies. Good luck.

Interesting point John, does the UK use a additive in the fuel for winter ? I think the ethanol they add over here in winter absorbs moisture, and it pools in little gel like droplets.

Keep fresh fuel in the bike, and dump the old stuff in the car, it can cope with it better.