Betor Shocks

g4321

this should start some discussion........

I bought several sets of betors from graham...great price, nice guy, shocks ok for the price......

then I tried njbs clubmans from steve goode

great guy, good price saocks look pretty but......

then came the njb experts from the same brummie...still a nice guy.....price still ok although much netter than the clubmans and better also than the betors......

i now have two sets of falcon from Robin. All these trials people are very nice, .....most expensive yet....but the best so far

you pays yer mnoney and takes yer choice.

PS I like IRIS chains and Monos also......

Are the Betors Graham Guppy is selling the same as the ones Sammy Miller sells? If so Grahams price is very competetive.

Your opinion of the NJB Experts is interesting - I am tempted by these - the price is the same as Sammy Miller Betors but do the Experts have 4" travel - NJB website quotes only 3" travel for Clubman shocks. I have tried a 200 TLR with NJB shocks and they were nice.

NJB Trickshocks look 'trick' but price is a bit more than I want to pay.

I am not planning Falcons this time - the reason for the swinging arm modifications I have done is to allow me to use alternative shocks - for a long time Falcons was the only choice for a TLR250. I still have the original swinging arm intact with Falcons if I decide to refit.

I would be interested to hear any opinions on Betors or NJB's - pros & cons.

The other shocks rockshocks etc are outwith my planned budjet - in reality my skill level is such they would be wasted!

I have Betors on my Bully and TY, they perform very well but I seem to have blown both set's as they both have lost most of the oil inside? There are very well priced shock's released from Spain I suspect, that Mick Andrews developed. I contacted Alan Whitton "excuse the spelling" hoping to purchase a pair but didn't have any at the time. would love to try a set though.

No experience of Betors, had NJB expert on the Armstrong, oh dear! Falcon on the Cub, people rave about these but can't really see what the fuss is about, now put Rock Shocks on the Armstrong and it's just great. Expensive but very good, if you can afford them have them.

To quote a well respected southampton fantic man...

the betors are sort of falcon copies with inferior materials

the njbs have 4 inches (wheres my mono) of travel

and i dont think graham has the same springs on his betors as SM (mono again???)

I have heard some stories about falcons blowing seals also but the are rebuildable and mineare new

i think the rockshocks are a 80s design...if there is no gas, the oil will become airiated (?) at higher temps....

My old Marzocchis were gaud also.....

I have a set of White Power shocks at home...anybody out there who can rebuild them?????

lee

interesting thread; I've used Betors for a year on my TL280 SWM, and went from 13.4" to 14" and the 50lb spring rate, because I am around 13st in weight. Just looking at what shocks to go for my next bike and confess do like the idea of getting a rebuildable set, but for twice the money (Rockshocks), is it worth it.

The Betors have performed really well, for my riding ability, so good value

The Rock Shocks are updated from the 80's product and now have a threaded body for preload adjustment (as per Falcon Alloy & Classic shock) but I wondered about them not being gas filled. All I can say is they give a more modern action than the gas filled NJBs & Falcolns I've used previously, so far so good.

gas shocks would be the prefered choice for a mx or enduro bike as oil filled might heat up or become aerated but as a trials bike spend so much time stood still in queues and sections are very short oil should be a more than satisfactory and has been for 100 years..

falcons have in the past bent on me betor have held up to the 15 stone lardy for years and the old pair of girlings on my cub have done 3 years now (100+ trials) with only a hose down every month or so