Uprated Rear Spring

rockrider

Hi !

Being new around here, I thought I would see if anyone could help me with my problem.

I have a 2001 Sherco 290, but being a large lad, I could do with uprating the rear springso that the mudguard isn't too near the rear wheel. I have phoned around to see if Sherco do uprated springs but have had no luck.

Is anyone else here larger than the '12st rider' that modern bikes are set up for these days?

Many thanks guys,

RR

I think I'm over 18st....using original spring.

You might be right though - I dare say I lose a bit of ground clearance through it. Don't know where you can get them, but if you find some I may well give one a try.

Wouldn't have to be Sherco by the way, the shockers are used on other bikes too, just in case you're concentrating your search too much.

There was one on Ebay a while ago, but I missed it.

If Ryan does not do the spring anymore there is also Faulkner Springs who do various spring lengths and rates. You would need to know the inside diameter, it's length and the poundage rate of the standard spring . I'm not sure how much you would have to uprate the poundage rate by to get satisfactory results. If you go up too much on the poundage then the shock may not be able to control the spring properly.

I believe they make springs for motorbikes, racing cars and also mountain bikes hence the large selection.

Hope this helps.

Faulkner Springs. http://www.dfaulknersprings.co.uk/index.htm

Edited by John.B

Is anyone else here larger than the '12st rider' that modern bikes are set up for these days?

RR

How much over the 12 st are you? Unless you're over 15st I wouldn't even worry about it. I haven't, I'm a fair bit more than that and I've not noticed any problems. Mine's over 3 years old now and still standing up to the abuse.

I just fitted the new TRP shock on mine, fully adjustable and comes with the choice of three different spring rates, makes the suspension feel real plush.

Unfortunately your weight range wasn't offered in the spring rate BS, do you have to use two scales to weigh thi sen, leg on each :)

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, here is an update on the spring discussion -

After reading your comments and weighing up the options, I decided to contact 'Trick-Bits' to have one made. I spoke to a guy called Ian, who was very helpful.

I sent my old spring to him for exact measurement and he set about making a new one. My old spring was away for five days, returned to me via recorded delivery. Exactly two weeks later the new one arrived, powder coated in yellow.

It's now been refitted and I have been trying the bike out - what a difference! The bike doesn't sit down at the back as much and the whole thing seems alot smoother and controlled. (This is compared to winding the spring up with the bottom adjustment ring).

Although, I haven't had chance to really put the bike through its paces - its a case of so far so good !

If any of you are thinking of uprating your spring, give Ian a ring, he very helpful and the product is top class !

I hope this is of use.

RR