Beta Carburetors

skid

I've read that betas have carb issues. (and just did a quick scan of the two threads on this page) Something that evidently spans a number of years. One of those bike personality things. Is this true?

I got to test ride an 04 beta 200 today and the carburation didn't seem to good. I really may not have noticed but I hopped on an 06 gas gas 280 right after getting off the 200. The carburation on the gasser was nice and crisp. made it feel like you knew what the motor was doing. The beta felt kind of burbally right off the bottom, didn't have good feel, Sort of a sloppy throttle, crappy response thing. No connection betwen your wrist and the motor. I'm not talking about power delivery. I know they are vastly different bikes and motors. I'm talking more about how the throttle felt in response to what the motor was doing or should be doing. If this is kind of normal I might look foir a gasser 200, or 280. Bike was used by and over 50 competitive rider so I would assume it's properly jetted. Air temp was 32 F so I'm not sure if that was an issue. Cold air makes things too lean doesn't it. This felt weird, to too rich.

Beta appeared to be in very good condition and seemed to be well taken care of. Going for $3100 usd btw. Includes new rear tire. Is that price high, low, or about right? At this point if money wasn't an issue I think i'd go with the 06 gasser. I'm not a big fan of messing with carbs.

You really can not compare a 200 to a 280. Huge difference between bikes no matter what brand. The carb thing is a 20-30 minute fix for those fortunate to visit this site that`s full of info on the subject. The price is about right, but everything is buyer beware on used equipment no matter how clean.

The Beta 200 is a great clubman bike with very tractable power. The 280 is quick, agile and full of pep. Go find a slick section and the Beta would be your bike of choice. Anything else and the `06 gasser would always feel better. Otherwise compare 200`s to 200`s. Good luck bike hunting!!

PS The carb thing is about fuel spilling out. Not actually carburation as one would think.

I wasn't really comparing bikes, It was more the carburation. I know the bikes are very different but crisp carburation is the same no matter what the bike. After a little searching there does seem to be a bit of chatter on beta carbs. Don't know if it's anything that should keep me from trying the brand tho.

<_<

Keep in mind Skid a little bike like the Beta 200 will be much more sensitive to jetting needs than a bigger bike like the 280. The weather could have played a part.

As far as the carberation...well I am too new to trials to make an educated cooment, but I do know the Betas are a nice machine.

All Beta rev3s come over jetted - and run rich.

200 has same carb as 260/270 - so responds best to one size under main & pilot jet.

04's had super soft power delivery anyhow.....if you get the chance have a spin on an 07 200 Beta - feels like a completely diferent bike, engine has lots more torque & response.

04's had super soft power delivery anyhow.....if you get the chance have a spin on an 07 200 Beta - feels like a completely diferent bike, engine has lots more torque & response.

Would some of that softness disappear if the bike was properly jetted. any cheap easy motor mods

to give a little more grunt?

One thing I'm wondering about is why an over 50 competitive rider is going from a 200 to a 280. Wondering if he found the bike a little too soft.

Another thing I'm wondering about is the terrain I'll be playing in. New England White pine forest with a lot of glacial erratics, stuff the size of a small car, Ford focus, VW bug type stuff. There are a lot of "cool" lines that I think would require some hopping to get up onto. Wondering if that will be an issue w/my 190 to 200 lbs on board. Keeping in mind that i'm a trials noob but do have lots of dirtbike experiance. Don't want a bike I'll be looking for more out of by the middle of the summer.

On the whole I prefer smaller bikes as they are easier to throw around, so I'm not anti 200. In fact my main ride is a gas gas 300 enduro bike and after some seat time on a properly jetted gas gas 200 enduro I wouldn't have any problems with having that 200 as my only enduro bike.

I do know the Betas are a nice machine.

Yes I know ...Italian!! I have a soft spot anything on two wheels made in Italy!! Thats one of the reasons I was looking at it!!

Re-jetting will most likely cure your problem but you should also thouroughly clean out the carb and and any carbon buildup in the exhaust. My Dellorto has a tiny jet underneath the idle jet that is easy to overlook. Also the correct premix ratio like 90:1 which you wouldn't use in your enduro.