Book

jack_h

they've been on top of card renewal for some time now, (like way back in early December people were getting their renewals). i was at rugby last weekend and they weren't done yet....

problem is there is a tendency to think the road race / MX season hasn't started yet, plenty of time..... :banana2:

but on a cost front, they are cost conscious at the ACU but IMHO its better that people can ride event with the right card on Jan 1st rather than be waiting for a handbook

It may worry some that it is not "cost effective" to send out card and licence together - but perhaps memories are short? Also I think a visit to your local P.Office may show you that the issue does not merit the comment " cost effective and ACU are you joking".

It was only the year before last I think that the issue of licence was chaotic to say the least. Read back through these posts and you will see the complaints.

People asked for it to be sorted out - that was given priority and by and large we receive our licences or registration cards quite quickly . Licences have certainly been going out for weeks - I had mine several weeks ago - surely we should not go back to holding them in a big pile ubtil the handbook is ready?

The licences are produced and issued in house at Rugby. The machines, envelopes etc are an automated system - look at the envelope your renewal form comes in and then the envelope the licence comes in - as I have said a standard system - not designed to take a book

The Handbook is not produced at Rugby. It is contracted out and the firm concerned obviously prints it and then it gets sent out. This is common business practuice for many firms sending out literature/ books.

The handbook gets delayed - usually because of last minute changes and waiting for details from one source or another - and as the rules are finalised in Oct / Nov , after previouis season is finished etc

Officials are confirmed in Nov - and then these can be added. There are always last minute changes to Championship Conditions/Regs etc.

There are alwayas mistakes found in early drafts and these are corrected ( hopefully)

Then we find ourselves in the season of Santa Claus - which coupled with the New Year these days seems to mean most things tend to shut down for about 2 weeks.

This means that the book is printed in early January - and hopefully sent out before end of January.

If this happens - I for one will be delighted - as it has been a lot later than this in years past.

If we tried to couple it with the licence system, it would probably balls that up - and now it is working we would not wish to do that.

It is a nusance for licence seminars etc in early Jan to have to use the 06 book, but in reality I am afraid I cannot see all the rules , regulations, Centre and Club details ( may do not appoint officials till later in year) as well as any FIM/UEM influnces that may dictate discipline changes all happening by about Aug/Sept which would be time scale needed for book to be produced before XMAS.

Only a thought,..... if printing, staffing, holiday problems are an issue, could we not simply have licences which run from 1st Feb? This would make no difference to road racers etc but would give the ACU breathing space after christmas to deal with trials riders.

As far as the process is concerned, I must say the licence/registration system has worked very well this year in my experience.

As a club secretary, I had a batch of forms to stamp and sign. I waited as long as I dared before sending them in so that I could send as many as possible with just one cheque attached.

Three days after posting, I recieved an email (actually on Christmas friday!) to say the forms had been processed and the card arrived between christmas and new year.

My only small gripe (and I'm sorry there has to be one at all) is that I didn't get a renewal form sent to me in the post. I have spoken to two other people who didn't get theirs either. It's no problem to me, I just printed some from the web site, but not everyone is on the net.

But overall it was spot on this year, well done to the ACU for sorting that out.

The issue of delay is one with the handbook - and there are so many factors which vary.

There is now really no point in changing the licence issue structure as it is working very well and except for the glich mentioned that some renewal forms may go astray I personally think we should leave the system well alone.

I do not really know why some licence renewal forms go astray - I must say I received mine fairly early.

To my shame I must also admit that my Enduro licence was not issued on my first atempt - becasuse I had filled in the form incorrectly !

Once I put that right ( I got mixed up by forgetting it was an Enduro licence I was applying for and not Trials registration) it was back within two days - so I had no problems.

Incidenatally talking to the licence dept it appears that the vast vast majority of forms that have to be sent back is almost always due to the rider not getting the signature of a Club secretary?

Incidenatally talking to the licence dept it appears that the vast vast majority of forms that have to be sent back is almost always due to the rider not getting the signature of a Club secretary?

That's the reason why I collect or encourage our membership to send their forms to me and I stamp and sign them all in one go. I also give them a quick check over to make sure they're filled in ok. That said, one was still returned because I'd missed that the rider hadn't signed it.

Only an observation but... at this time of year the most common telephone conversation that I have concerns the medical part of the form.

For trials registration there is a lot of unused form to print off which is surplus, many riders have trouble working out what to and what not to fill in.

for something really radical, here is an idea we southern stirrers have been toying with for some time

if the system is so good, big and automated (and the handbooks mailed separately), why can't we offer rolling membership, based upon date of birth. pros - spreads load evenly throughout the year. con - when the idiot riders produces his card collection of the last 10 years ACU license and 20 different club cards from the half dozen club they belong to, how do fish out the right one? (ie 2007 is red, etc)

for something really radical, here is an idea we southern stirrers have been toying with for some time

if the system is so good, big and automated (and the handbooks mailed separately), why can't we offer rolling membership, based upon date of birth. pros - spreads load evenly throughout the year.

Wasn't it like that until a few years ago anyway? Then it changed to Jan 1st for some reason.

• 3 weeks later...