Beginner's Kit

cg125

Looks like I've got a bike and car rack lined up, but as a complete newbie what other kit is essential/worthwhile? I don't want to spend buckets of cash that I haven't got, but I would rather get some sensible kit so that I enjoy learning to ride trials rather than having a miserable time!

A helmet's essential to me, so that's one thing definitely on the list. Looks like I'll need to spend something like

Looks like I've got a bike and car rack lined up, but as a complete newbie what other kit is essential/worthwhile? I don't want to spend buckets of cash that I haven't got, but I would rather get some sensible kit so that I enjoy learning to ride trials rather than having a miserable time!

A helmet's essential to me, so that's one thing definitely on the list. Looks like I'll need to spend something like

First priority: helmet, (cheap is OK as they do not get much high speed impact damage)

followed by gloves and boots.

Wulfsport do cheap one or ring up importers and see if any last years models are going cheap.

Buy trials not motorcross boots as the latter are too stiff.

I work on the philosophy that the only too points of contact with the bike are hands and feet, and hopefully you value your head.

Trousers are next on the list of essentials again last years models are just as good. Finally sweat wicking football shirts are just as good and can be had for less than a tenner.

Don't break the bank just ride!!

As a newbie Myself (6 months) I would strongly advise you to keep a spare set of brake and clutch levers because if you are like me you will be snapping quite a few!! Its a pain in the neck when you have to wait a few days for a new one when you could be out on the bike!!

Edited by balamory beta

Not used to stand up motorcycling so the bone dome takes a few knocks!

Glad i got my old mx lid and unscrewed the mouth guard, hey presto retro and recycled!

Oh and Ive just been on a Steve Saunders training day. more useful than any flash kit!

Thanks for all the replies.

Appleyards couldn't help, but Motomerlin are local to me and have been very helpful. Apparently Gaerne go up to my size which seems to be a result as I've only read good things about them. My inclination is to go for the least expensive of their range - would that be a false economy?

As a newbie Myself (6 months) I would strongly advise you to keep a spare set of brake and clutch levers because if you are like me you will be snapping quite a few!! Its a pain in the neck when you have to wait a few days for a new one when you could be out on the bike!!
Being a newbie myself and trying out manuvers that require more experiance, often finding myself off the Techno laying on the ground wondering what I snapped off this time,however I've learned to loosen the lever perches a tad, thus when you go down it'll move rather than snap.

A friend of mine bought the single stitched gearnes and they have lasted him from last years ssdt, until now and are still going strong!
Guess what? Apparently only the top of the range ones are available in my size, so I had to order a some. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! :wacko: