Sharpening Tires!

sam

I'm still waiting on the grooving iron. I just called and left a message, again! Those car racers....

When you flip the tire, you are putting a less abused edge in the direction of travel. Which means the abused rounded side is now on the braking side. It can be quite a dramatic difference in stopping power.

I am not only grooving the tire to try to get more useable life out of the tire. I would also like to see if it makes the tire work better, and if so in what conditions. New or not.

When you flip the tire, you are putting a less abused edge in the direction of travel. Which means the abused rounded side is now on the braking side. It can be quite a dramatic difference in stopping power.

It took me a while to get my head round this! :D I'm there now though! :hyper:

donmurray Posted Today, 12:12 AM

The rear tread knob squares usually wear down more on the front part of the knob. If you reverse the tires there will be a sharper point on the front side of the knob, and a down taper on the back side. Should grip better.

I already did that. I bought my bike used 3 yrs ago turned the tire once. I finally had to break down and buy a new one. Now if I can just find time to put it on. I am soooo cheap.

Really ? Only one tire in 3 years ! ? ! ? :hyper: We have a new one every 6 months, turn it half way throught its life ( 3 months use) ! so one in 3 years ! it must have been really knackerd !

The tire was used and on the bike when I bought it. And technically I only used it for 2 1/2 years and one season I got injured and was out for 1/2 of the season so I guess really only 2 yrs of use for me and whatever use it had before I got it. But yea, it is a bit knackered, the nobs are almost totally round, I am not gonna know how to ride the bike now that it is gonna have traction. Yep I am cheap.

I am considering studding my old tires for use on ice next winter.

:hyper::D