First Broken Finger!

jza

Knew i wouldnt make it but had to try....

Fell over and smashed my right pinkie between rock and handlebar. SNAP :o Pins to be put in on during op on friday :D

How do i get riding again and not break the damn thing twice?

Anyone done the same - is there any protective gear you can put on to get riding again? What about those motorcross hand protectors - would they help?

LOL

Jza

Only ridden my bike 4 times and am out for min of 4 weeks!!!!! DOH! :guinness:

They tatooed you in hospital?!!...cheeky sods the NHS !! :guinness::D

It a symbol similar to the triads.......we know them as the R2W Mob.. :o:crying:

I fell off while out last Friday. Bashed my leg but has no retsriction of movement all it was was a bruise. Thought nothing of it till I'd finished work on Sunday night when my leg swelled up like a ballon (no comments necessary). Contacted NHS 24 who said I should get to a hospital PDQ, because it sounded like I had a blood clots blocking a vein or an artery and if I didn't get checked I could really be in the smelly stuff. Everything okay thankfully and managed to get to work on Monday.

Must try and find some hard shell pads for above my boots that are not too bulky...suggestions

As far as motocross style hand guards are concerned, you have to weigh up the pro's and cons'

Some protection for the fingers- against the possibility that they will catch on obstacles and worse maybe trap your arms as you go over the bars snapping both wrists.

Maybe a pair of armoured road racing gloves would be a good compramise?

I can't ride without some good kneepads. At the first trials last year, in the first section i dislocated the finger beside my pinky. When I pulled my glove off it was vertical of the others,the two joints on the end pointed straight up. My ten year old kept asking "When are we gonna ride"! A med tech finally put it back in place,felt much better. Luckily it was an easy TTC event. Rode the event anyway with son. Totally sucked. The next week the finger was very sore but had good range of motion. Just doesn't quite straighten out still.

Me to Paul!

I was walking a section on the first loop and fell down on a greasy bank, dislocated and fractured my middle finger! :o

I think actually a Sherco pilot pushed me, but it happened so fast no one would fess up! :crying:

I know one thing, I was told that I was hopping around like I had been snake bit or something, embarrassing! :guinness:

sam :D

I did something similar a few years ago, but left ring finger! (and wasn't on me bike either!)

Had a spiral fracture, needed pinning.

After the op, whole hand will hurt like 'ell for a day or two. Soon you'll be used to it, the bandages will start to smell (lovely!!) and you'll be thouroughly p****d off! Bandages should be changed 2-4 weeks, pins out 6-8 weeks. I would leave it another month after that 'till you've got full movement back, another few weeks for the strength to build up again! As soon as you feel comfortable, keep flexing the finger and wiggling it as much as you can to try and keep blood flowing, strength up etc! I would leave it at least a month after pins out before you ride again, just to let all the bones harden as much as possible - think it takes about 6 months for a bone to harden properly (correct me if i'm wrong!!)

Best of luck, and enjoy the half hour of anasthetic!!

Pete.

EVS Knee Gasket.

Fits under Hebo trials trousers okay & gives good knock protection & an element of support & warmth. I've used mine for a year now & highly reccommend.

Think that might impede the movement of my finger ?

:D

I did something similar a few years ago, but left ring finger! (and wasn't on me bike either!)

Had a spiral fracture, needed pinning.

After the op, whole hand will hurt like 'ell for a day or two. Soon you'll be used to it, the bandages will start to smell (lovely!!) and you'll be thouroughly p****d off! Bandages should be changed 2-4 weeks, pins out 6-8 weeks. I would leave it another month after that 'till you've got full movement back, another few weeks for the strength to build up again! As soon as you feel comfortable, keep flexing the finger and wiggling it as much as you can to try and keep blood flowing, strength up etc! I would leave it at least a month after pins out before you ride again, just to let all the bones harden as much as possible - think it takes about 6 months for a bone to harden properly (correct me if i'm wrong!!)

Best of luck, and enjoy the half hour of anasthetic!!

Pete.

Thanks Pete.... looks like i had a short riding career then LOL :wacko:

I'm bricking it thinking about anesthetic!!

Jza

don't be daft, won't take long as long as your careful!

And don't worry 'bout the anastheic - I remeber it ferpectly. Needle in, the chap put the stuff in. I thought, 'hmm, nothing happening'. then felt like I needed a snooze. I said ' is this supposed to be happ . . .zzzzzzz'

Was a bit high afterwards though - was singing in the recovery room!other people in there were still out!

Long as ya look after it you won't have any problems! (but make sure you tell the surgeon to get the damn thing straight - mine is all twisted and kinked!)

have fun . . .!!

don't be daft, won't take long as long as your careful!

And don't worry 'bout the anastheic - I remeber it ferpectly. Needle in, the chap put the stuff in. I thought, 'hmm, nothing happening'. then felt like I needed a snooze. I said ' is this supposed to be happ . . .zzzzzzz'

Was a bit high afterwards though - was singing in the recovery room!other people in there were still out!

Same experience with anets.. anesthetic here. Every time I wake up from an operation I feel happy, and really hungry. Other people are sitting around feeling sick. I must be lucky. (Or is that unlucky to have so many experiences of the stuff?)

Sam Posted Yesterday, 11:33 AM

I think actually a Sherco pilot pushed me, but it happened so fast no one would fess up!

Hey Sam you sayin' I should stop following so close to you when your walking a section.

:wacko::D

Hey Barry,

Looks like the digit has healed nicely.

Edited by ZIPPY