Majesty

trialsrfun

Thank you for the help guys but I am still not sure what the correct length of TY 175 shocks really was, some lists say 12.5 others 13.4.

Does any one have what they KNOW are original TY 175 shocks to measure please.

ScottT I think you are right at 12.5 centre to centre do you know for sure if the shocks you have were the originals,

The 13.4s make the back of the bike very high and the fork angle then looks all wrong.

13.4. They build them to suit individual rider eg weight etc

The extended, free length is exactly that of course: no load. Only reaches there when rear wheel is in the air or very light.

Once loaded with bike and rider weight, the sag height will depend on weights and spring rate. So its quite possible a longer shock with softer spring and less preload will ride shorter than the other way around.

I have a 175 with no shocks at all-it just has these tubular thingies that hold the springs from falling off-so I am following the falcons/etc discussions of what to put on to actually have some damping. Tough to justify $300+ shocks on a $500 motorcycle, but they seem to be the most improvement for the money on vintage stuff.

kcj

ScottT I think you are right at 12.5 centre to centre do you know for sure if the shocks you have were the originals,

The 13.4s make the back of the bike very high and the fork angle then looks all wrong.

Yes im sure they are standard shocks, i have replaced them with 13.5 Betors and the back end looks to high now.

Just fitted new falcons and are without a doubt miles ahead of the Betors, taking into account prior mention of different results from same brand and rate shocks, in Australia we only reall can choose from Betors or Falcons so I have tried several Betors and all were simillar in dampening characteristics but falcons are smoother and definately give better tracking for rear end. just got too keep reciept away from wifey..