Model 199b Do I Modify Or Not?

old trials fanatic

As i stated in another post hopefully in the not too distant future i will be getting round to doing the Sherpa up. Shes a 199B a bit tatty in a well used kind of way but just paint and decals as everything works and it's all there. Well looking around the Bultaco stand at the Classic off road show on Saturday i was wondering about "modifying" the swing arm and mounting to make it more like the works bikes or do i just leave it original?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/NVT160/DSCF0053.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/NVT160/DSCF0052.jpg

Was thinking of riding it in some twinshock events next year. I know it will be outclassed but i do like riding the old girl, something about Bultacos. Thing is i am in a quandry. Do i smarten her up as tsd or sod it and modify and to hell with it.

What do you think? :D

Edited by Old trials fanatic

Get hold of a 199A frame (there seems to be plenty of these around for not much money) and chop that about......that way if things dont work you still have your original 199B frame and you also keep your matching engine/frame numbers.

Martin

there are significant modifications that you can do, mine has around 50 some small some significant, but they all improve the bike, and with a little knowledge the bike is much better. But once done they do (340's) take some weekly fettling.

Edited by Nigel Dabster

OTF,

My 199B is restored as per original and it rides superb. All it has different is Michelin tyres and Falcon shocks, which can easily be returned to standard. If you want the most competitive twinshock, use something else, but I think a near standard 340 is still pretty useful.

No appologies for again mentioning the results achieved by Dave Hooke on his standard 340 in the ACU Classic series a few years ago now, winning many rounds over the seasons as well as the series outright. The bike is plenty capable, it's down to the rider.

OK, back in the day it was lacking against the latest twinshock machinery but trick riding was in full swing and the last of the twinshocks were developed for it whereas the Bult wasn't. Classic trials are non-stop so those disadvantages disappear and it can hold its own against the rest under such rules.

I'm not saying don't modify it, if it is done well and the mods improve its performance there is no reason why they should devalue it, but in my opinion the bike is for riding, not an investment and ultimately it's your bike to do what you like with.

Anyway, to the point - some pictures.

Vesty's last bike

JR's bike - serious mods

I've got a couple of spare frames.

Dabster, tried to PM you but it won't let me as it says your inbox is disabled or full. I'll buy one off you if you're selling as mine is badly damaged. I could maybe sell the other one for you too if OTF doesn't want one.

Ditto please e mail me with a price. Then perhaps woodie and me can both have one each? I assume they are 199b's :D

Thanks for the piccys Woodie i knew somebody must have taken some.

I wasnt going to go mad with the mods anyway just thought about moving the swing arm spindle. Tried Chris Milners the other day which he has done and feels really nice. Much softer on the back loads of grip. He's also steepened the steering.

If i cant get another frame then i will probably just do the old girl up as std. I'm not that good a rider anyway so in reality probably wouldnt make all that much difference. Just that you know how it is. You get the frame powder coated etc then think Hmmm wonder if i should have moved that ?

Surprised that Dave Renham hasnt thought about a frame kit. He's got the works bikes so has all the angles.

Miller did well enough out of the Hi Boy and looking at the ammount of James replica frames on show at Malvern it could revitalise all those old 325 Bultacos in boxes that keep coming up on flea bay.

Edited by Old trials fanatic

Yes, I'm also assuming it's a 340 frame.

You're right about the back end having more feel OTF. Mine has the shocks moved up the swingarm although the pivot isn't moved (was it you I bought it off?) and the difference can be felt over the stock bike as Bults always feel a bit dead at the back. They work, but just not much feel.

Yes i think it was me :D

I had two and still have the other one.

I wasnt sure it was you but remember you mentioning the airbox and thought it might be the one i sold then looked up an old e mail and saw the name was Wood so put two and two together.

Those ex works bikes on Dave Renhams stand were well modified but it was all fit for purpose in those days. Very home built to our modern eyes.

The main point seemed to be to try and move the swing arm pivot further and further forwards resulting in JR's being half way up the cases. Must have been a bugger to work on.

Yes, thought it was you. Didn't recognise you though at the Peak Classic I rode late last year at Bracken. Think you were observing on one of the sections on the Sunday - I missed the Saturday after Friday night reunion with some old work colleagues but was still feeling it Sunday... Probably why I didn't recognise you as I still couldn't see much. It was like looking through one of those kaleidescope things that were around when we were kids.

The bike is a pretty good copy of the frame mods to Vesty's bike except the swingarm hasn't been moved but I know someone that can do that for me if I want to go that far. It needs the rear mudguard mounts repairing and all the welds and joints need tidying but he can do that too. It would be nice to copy the JR one but it is a lot of work and you have to move the engine or swingarm just to get the clutch cover off so a bit impractical. But it would be nice to do it.... Biggest job is that it needs an exhaust making as the standard Bulto one won't fit between the shock and the wheel. Hope to have it done this year but I'll be lucky