Fair Warning... And A Manual?

neonsurge

Reet, you're all gonna be fed up of me 'cos I've just bought a Rev-3 and as any regulars of the GasGas forum will tell you, I ask some dumb-ass questions.

It's an extremely clean, little-used 2003 270 - so little used in fact that the engine's still slightly "tight" and it's closest that I'm going to get to a new bike in the forseeable future so I'm as happy as <insert reference to something very happy>.

I'd like to get hold of a manual, if such a thing exists. Not because the bike needs any work at the moment but I always like to know the factory-recommended amount of gearbox oil, fork oil, premix ratios and the like. Does such a thing exist in downloadable form? Failing that, is there an online reference site that contains any information I'm likely to need during my ownership? There's not much technical information on JL's site and a half hours' Googling hasn't turned up much...

As always, I'm not worthy :wacko:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is a manual that tells you oil amount etc and maintenance chart but it is called a handbook. you could try ringing John Lampkins and ask for a HANDBOOK they will say it doesn't exist if you call it a manual. there use to be the maintance chart john lampkins site. someone might sell u a manual.

just found this r2wtrials tech page for betas as he changing to good old betas : r2w's tech for beta

I want to hear about the GasGas to Beta move... reasons, likes, dislikes, etc.

The REV-3 holds:

3.2 L fuel in tank with 1 L reserve

600cc of coolant

550cc of tranny fluid

370cc in right fork leg

350cc in left fork leg

The manual states 1.5% oil to gas mixture when using synthetic oil which works out to 66:1 ratio. Lots of people (including me) run 80:1 with no problems.

Manual states the use of Champion N7YCC spark plug

Recommended Lubricants and liquids:

Transmission oil: Ipone "DUALGRADE 20W30"

Premix oil: Ipone "Top Race 2"

Brake and clutch oil DOT 5

Dry weight 75.5 kg (for the 250)

Edited by clarkp

I want to hear about the GasGas to Beta move... reasons, likes, dislikes, etc.

First of all, thanks for the info. That about covers it! My reasons for swapping the Gasser for the Beta are almost completely unrelated to the bikes themselves I'm afraid: I bought the Gasser (a '99 TXT270) to get back into trials after a long lay-off. Apart from the suspension linkage (the problems with which where entirely a result of my own mechanical incompetence), it never gave me any problems and to he honest, if finances allowed it'd still be in my garage alongside the Rev-3. But it just so happened that the opportunity to buy the Beta came along at a time when I'd been thinking about updating a bit and could just about afford it as long as I traded the Gasser, so that's what I've done. In fact, it was a choice between the Beta or a similarly immaculate Sherco and I went for the Beta simply because I won't have to wrestle with any linkage and replacement plastics are cheaper!

The Beta came with a flywheel weight (unfitted). I've yet to ride the bike "in anger" (that'll happen on Monday) but I did blast around the field next to the dealer's shop for 10 minutes or so and the thing that I noticed immediately was how much more powerful than the GasGas it is - vicious even, so the weight might see some action in the near future. I might post some "GasGas vs. Beta" thoughts later, but I'm not sure how useful it'd be to anyone: '99 TXT270 vs. '02 270 Rev-3 as ridden by a ham-fisted overweight thirtysomething? I don't think so, do you? :wacko:

Oh, there is one thing: The fuel tap - what are the different positions? I haven't fiddled with it yet, but I assume up is "on" and either left or right is "off" and "reserve" - which? (I said I'd ask dumb questions!)

P.S. The site's looking good r2w!

Edited by neonsurge

Dont know if its 'cause of different climate here in Hong Kong, but on my Beta Rev 3 '02 model...a Champion plug works MUCH better than an NGK.

I only tried it because the beta importer here, was told when she visited the Beta factory, that one must ALWAYS use a Champion plug.

Interesting topic for debate eh!

My engine even knocks a bit when I rev it on a NGK plug...but on the Champion it sounds like Montserrat Caballe!! :wacko::D

Sorry..Dabster...I'm not disagreeing with you, 'cause I dont know much..I'm pretty new to trials..but thats how it seems to work here....probably the humidity or something??

Gotta agree with you Stu...had an NGK in my bike and was knocking...got a champion in now and was running great ,till my bottom end problem.

when its fixed it should be like a new bike ....maybe time to sell it for a newer model....then again......

Regards

N

r2w: I live in fear of the day you call in the favour!

Anyway, I spent a full day on the Beta today and for what it's worth here are my impressions from a former GasGas owner's perspective:

Much more power. Especially in the mid-range which makes 3rd/4th gear climbs ridiculously easy. In fact, I had to train my right hand to apply only about two thirds of the amount of throttle that I'd use on the Gasser. No compression of the forks needed to wheelie across ruts and ditches - just wind on a smidge more power and the front end rises effortlessly. Nice.

But the thing that impressed me the most was the suspension. Even though I was using the factory settings which are definitely a little too soft for my lardy a***, I never bottomed either end despite some big drop-offs and absolutely spot-on damping provided an easy ride over rocks making the rider look far more competent than is actually the case. Oh, and I love the Beta "whine".

In summary: More power, MUCH better suspension and and overall feeling of functional refinement. You'd expect as much when you consider that 4 years separate the 2 bikes but the gap was far wider than I expected it to be. I'm a very happy camper! :wacko::D