Txt50

gasgasbilly

hi there, i`ve got a txt 50 with a few problems,they are as follows:-

1, after a bit of work the water is being pushed out of the overflow . is it because there is no fan on the bike or has the head gasket gone?

2,the delay between opening the throttle and actually getting forward motion is very difficult to deal with. should it be virtually instant or should there be a long delay?

3, the suspension is very very soft. should it be or is there a way of changing the oil back and front?

many Thanks for reading this long winded thread,all help gratefully received, Thanks, ggb

Hi There

Point 1. Too technical for me !

Point 2. Throttle response should be instant. We wound up the idle/tickover so the bike wanted to drive forward then used the brakes to hold the bike back. Hey presto no delay.

Point 3. How heavy is the rider. My lad was about 4 stone when he was riding his Gas Gas. Suspension was soft, but fine for him.

Good luck

Mike

1. yes it needs a fan, when my son's quit working it boiled over pretty fast. It uses a computer fan, in fact when my son's went out just before a trial the computer had to make a sacrifice.

2. That is the way they are, (not one of their best features) As tomsdad said turn up the idle and you could also gear it down.

3. For us we found the rear suspension pretty soft and worked well, but the front was more on the stiff side-all the 50's I checked out seemed to be the same way.

Edited by sirhc

A computer fan is the way to go, I found a computer outlet store and purchased 10 of

Them for less than $20.00. I think I still have a couple left.

The clutch can be made to respond very quickly with no lag. The clutch has 3 steel plates in it, 2 thin ones and 1 thick one, replace 1 of the thin ones with with another thick plate.It worked wonders on ours anyway!

It's been a long time but I think the details are correct. The only special tool that you need is a thinwall socket to loose the clutch hub, I made mine by turning down a regular socket.

Edited by spinner

Thanks guys for all the replies. spinner,fancy shipping one over to england for a decent fee?

To save you the hassle of shipping one over from the States, most UK online Computer stores will stock them, look for "PC Cooling Fans" (think its the case fans you will need). (Misco, Ebuyer etc etc)

Hello GGB,

The earlier TXT50's were supplied without a fan, fitting one is a good idea.

Measure the plain steel clutch plates for thickness, one should be 2mm, the other 2 are thinner, 1.5mm I think.

Order a new 2mm plate, P/N MIT50032064 and replace one of the two thinner plates. The clutch will take up at lower revs. This mod works well.

Bye, PeterB.