Late Start

city trials

While most of the commenters have gone on various rants about trials in the US, I'll pitch in my two cents. What's wrong with trials in the USA?

Well, first off, I believe we start late. What do I mean? Look at the UK'ers. They're already having events. And lot's of them. Every weekend there seems to be a big trials with quality competition.

When's the last event we've had here in the states? It's been about a month with FTA's 'Fun in the Sun'. The clubs in the cold climates don't hold trials in the winter and early spring because of the weather. But that doesn't stop the UK'ers'. Heck no, they compete in the snow.

I know, speaking for the clubs I ride with, WOTA, UMTA and Nitro, holding events in the summer and getting 50 riders is a challenge, why bother in the winter, right? So, what's the answer folks. Would starting earlier in the year and having events snow or shine help?

I agree. I bought an old TY to ride in vintage rounds, in hopes of having a more continous season.

I enjoy riding in different conditions. It is still a compettion between riders skills, no matter what.

Perhaps some winter dates need to be encouraged. The question is who wants to be the first promoter to try it.

Here in the uk the trials scene alway's used to be a winter sport it still is

really in local trials but the national trials run all year round, seems funny you

only run trials in the better weather .

When they say Snow, they mean LOTS! Specially in some states 2-3 ft for months on end!

Opposite here, 100f for months on end! We seldome ride in the mid summer, it will kill you!

However we do a mid summer eve/morn 2 day, just for giggles. Last year it was 105f at the start!

A cool 80f the next AM start, lot more by the finish!

More of a race than anything, timed event! Loops averaging about 15min. ea! After a rest, do another!

The good thing is you can drink 2L out of a camelback and never stop to pee! :thumbup:

I think another point for start earlier or going all year is continued interest. If you keep the bike out and in shape to ride (and yourself) then you are more apt to make an effort to attend a meet. If you are down for several months the bike gets covered with other projects and it's more of an effort to get ready to attend a meet. Do understand that it is tough to put on a competition when very few riders show up. AHRMA is going from Mar to Nov this year so thats not to bad (actually they may have had an event in Feb this year). The more we all attend the better it will get - and talk it up to your friends.

Alan

Yesterday while ya'll were posting, ITSA DID have an event in Tennessee.

I get your point Brian. Get ready, we'll be down to TTC this weekend. Still, here's just our example for this past off-season. We traveled to compete in Oklahoma (Octobertest) in October, Ohio (with Trials Inc) in November and California (ATA, still waiting for my second place trophy) in December. We did our best to make it to events, even though the miles were so great between home and the venue.

The clubs in the cold climates don't hold trials in the winter and early spring because of the weather. But that doesn't stop the UK'ers'. Heck no, they compete in the snow.

Yah right, your a little whacked bud. Up to last weekend I still had two feet of snow in my backyard. Ever try riding a trils bike in 2 feet of snow.....it don't work, I don't care if your Lampkin or not. That's why they invented the snowmobile.

Rode for the first time this past Sunday, not bad, had a good time, but the ice just below the thawed 1 inch of ground is a might bit tricky especially on the big stuff. Up steep hills, forget it.

But supposing we took on your proposal, how the heck do you prep sections and a loop in 2 feet of snow to pull off an event. It ain't gonna happen. I'll bet our buds in the UK aren't running events in 2 feet of snow, in fact I'll bet its a rare case when they get more than 6 inches of snow. There average temp for Jan is 41, Feb is 45 here in the north east its 18 degrees for Jan and 19 for Feburary.....you do the math.

Despite this we managed to ride from March of 06 to the first week of Jan in 07 (very warm and unusal weather, thank you Global Warming).

D6 in Pa. used to run from Feb to Oct. but Motorama got taken out of the picture this year. Now we're not starting until May! Sh^&! Maybe Motorama will change their minds next year. I'm hoping! The group I practice with, we only missed about 4 weekends all winter due to snow. D6 used to have some events in January, went well for a few years, but then got snowed out several years in a row and the idea was scrapped.

Your right. Martina who is our German club-wo-man rider here in Michigan was making that observation just yesterday. She says that they ride all the time even with snow. Most of my experience with european riders is at the world rounds and a few select riders who come over to do shows and tours.

She states that her club rides every tuesday saturday and sunday. And all of the club members live within about 15 mins of the property. It also costs about 100 euros a year to join a club. Over here we have 5 members in a 20 min drive and have to drive an hour after a 3 hour negotiation with our wives on why we need to do this. hahahaha Its pretty exciting to get the average rider comming over to give their perspective. She has a bike now and hopped around in my back yard for about 45 mins. We should be at tipecanoe Trials inc for sunday only to get some preseason time in.

Sam we will be up in flint on sunday. I know its a long haul but come up and visit if you want. I am borrowing pete hatches sherco for a couple months. booooooo :thumbup: I will get a bike soon i suspect.

• 3 weeks later...
Well, first off, I believe we start late. What do I mean? Look at the UK'ers. They're already having events. And lot's of them. Every weekend there seems to be a big trials with quality competition.

When's the last event we've had here in the states? It's been about a month with FTA's 'Fun in the Sun'. The clubs in the cold climates don't hold trials in the winter and early spring because of the weather. But that doesn't stop the UK'ers'. Heck no, they compete in the snow.

Why don't we start earlier? Well lets see, I just attended an event this weekend near Springfield, MA. I drove 4 hours in pouring rain to get to an event where it was still pouring rain with temps in the low 30s. There was some snow and sleet but mostly rain and mud. Quite frankly that was the best part of the day as the event was a blast. The worst part was driving back 6 hours through the mountains in rain, freezing rain, road incrusted sleet and several inches of snow. Cars were off the road everywhere and some trucks couldn't make it up the hills. How many of the quote "UK'ers" you refer to drive that far in those conditions.

That is why we don't have events starting earlier or running all season.