Nikon D 40

copemech

Nikon make good cameras, but if you can get one, go for a D50 rather than the D 40. The D 40 is a cheaper version and nowhere near as good - even a s/h D50 or even s/h D70 would be much better. An 18-55 lens is OK for trials, but a 18-70 is better. The 18-70 was standard on a D70

I was told the D40 was the new unit with most the features of the D80 in a smaller package, but the autofocus was done in the lens, which requires the special(more costly) lenses. Being "only" 6meg, it does seem to be getting to the point where file size no longer matters, unless?

I certainly do not plan upon printing anything lifesize!

Was it Andy who stated that he routinely only uses 3-4 meg res for most?

Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
I have a D70S, and would thoroughly recommend it.

The picture quality is outstanding, and the std 18-70 lens is excellent for motorsports

A D 50 is also a great camera, and will do pretty much everything you will ever need

I shoot only film in my still cameras because I have yet to find a digital body that releases the shutter when I press the shutter release. Do any of these current crop release the shutter the exaxt second that you depress it? That is the only thing I don't like about digital! I shoot mostly video so stills are my hobby.

Good one Heath!

Did you use the strong flash unit or does Barry paint himself half black to attract girls of all persuasions?

Someone said it was usually his bottom side that stayed dark! :wall:

• 4 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Seems the price dropped a bit since the D40x(10meg) came out. $525us, which is about L260? Had a play with one at a photo shop a while back and liked it.

6 meg is plenty for me, and considering you can get a 1 or 2 gig card cheap now? I usually shoot in about 3meg mode anyway, so lots of memory space.

As the digital cameras have evolved, I have spent more for less, and in a year they are outdated, but the DSLR's have been out of range!

No longer, think I'll make the plunge and keep the Fuji for a while as a backup and tele shooter!

A plus is the D40 will still fit the bum bag as size is good! Much smaller than the others! :thumbup:

go here for one of the best places to get photo info http://www.dpreview.com/

the prices of dlsr's have come down so much that you should consider one. most are great and the hard part is finding the one that fits your needs.

lots of 1 and 2 lens kits to chose from, checkout bhphotovideo.com for kits also great prices too. i don't work for any of the above i just use them happily.

i love my olympus and it's the only camera with a true dust buster system that keeps the sensor clean, handy for trials. there are some faster nikon and canon camera's but for the buck i chose the oly e300. the lenes are great and weather sealed. i hope to upgrade to a pro body to get the same weather sealing. that and a flash and i should have a perfect trials ready camera.

now all i need to do is learn to take better photo's.

rob

I think this will do, taken in 3 meg mode(which I normally use), in the dark shed, full auto close up!

That spec above the "O" is hardly visable to the naked eye, incredable! And I did not have to reduce the file size to get it on here, as it came in just under 1M!

Edited by copemech

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Copemech,

So which camera did you eventually go for? Thats a great photo - taken with which camera?

I am in a similar predicament to you, but I already have a Canon SLR (non-digital) and was tending towards sticking with Canon so that I could make use of my current lenses. However, I read about underexposure issues with the 400D model on several forums ahd that has put me off the Canon?

The D80 is great but seems a bit heavy - especially for the wife, so I'm still dithering! The D40 is nice and small, but wondering whether to go for the older model D50.....

Cheers.

Edited by Enrico

Enrico,

I had to go with the D 40, it is the only one that will fit my standard case logic bum bag and hang sefely off the belt when riding.

It has most the features of the D 80 and a bargain price.

The resolution is soo good, if you took Dave's pic of the waterfall as an example, and just wanted to crop out the hotel on the cliff, it would make a fine standard size print. Probably with the standard lens. The 55-200 is optional, but nice! If I find I need one, I will get it, but that will be special purpose only.

This stuff is soo good it will make you chunk rocks at 35mm. Much like you, my old Canon has not been out of the bag in years now, even when using the Fuji! <_<