New Bike Possibly

bikespace

After many other ideas about cures for my mid life crisis including a Nissan skyline, Mitsubishi Evo, Subaru Imprezza, Hayabusa, TVR Tuscan and a whole host of other stoooopid ideas, I'm looking at a much cheaper option tomorrow in Bristol - a KTM 640 Supermoto.

This has sprung from a long line of standstill roadworks on my way to work and the fact that if I don't get there before 7.30 it takes me half an hour longer, plus the fact that I'd like another road bike, especially if it's one i can dabble off road with.

It should have been a KTM 525 EXC, but I deliberated for one night too long and it got swiped from under my nose.

Now for that I was going to buy supermoto wheels and it seemed fairly simple to run the supermoto on enduro discs or run it on the bigger discs and use a plate to extend the calipers out.

But....obviously if I buy this bike, I'll have it the other way round........I need to get hold of some Enduro wheels and manage something with discs and calipers.

So, a couple of questions....does anybody have any experience with the 640 or similar, swapping supermoto/enduro wheels and associated problems with discs?

If you have had a 640, have you ever used it off road and how much of a handfull was it. I'm not expecting to enter the Tough One on it, but maybe have a go at the odd gentler enduro or hare and hounds????

I know I'm talking to myself here :) but just tried ebike for a quote.

Made me feel very old - with no security on the bike at all (because I don't know what it's got yet) and with 4 years no claims, fully comp with no excess, and two minor motoring offences remaining (by the same miserable copper on the way there and on the way back), still under 40 years old -

i dunno about these bike's bikerspace,unless your gonna have it to race full time,i would'nt bother with them.

seem's alot of people who buy them for the road are a bunch of poser's.

Had aload of guy's ridding past me on the road today on them,all there kit was spotless and nice shinny boot's,it looked like they wanted to find some mud but did'nt want to get dirty.

They looked like lovely bunch of confused Gay's.

If you want something horny get yourself a harley or a chop.

Edited by bilco

If you want something horny get yourself a harley or a chop.

Ooh dear, I said I was under 40, not over 50 :)

I would be absolutely bored stupid after the first 5 minutes. I tried one once - it was a novelty but had no appeal.

I've got to commute on this thing as well. I couldn't be a***d wheeling out half a car every morning, then chugging up the A5

I've sort of done my road bike bit, and started to get a bit bored of it. Boredom spelled trouble for me and it seemed like it was only a matter of time until my near misses were a hit. Kids flashing it front of your eyes is worse than your life flashing in front of it. You probably know what I mean. I sold up to restart trials.

Anyway, the only Hogs I do come with apple sauce or brown sauce or branston :blink:

I know the road's are a nightmare,i tend not to ride on them any more.

Well if you have to get one make sure your boot's are dirty when you use it for the road,make it look like you've been abit naughty on it.

nothing worse than seeing a road/off road bike shinning in the sun. :blink:

Be safe out there.

I hate to sould like an oldie Gaz but if you want a bike to commute, wouldn't it be better to get a road bike with a fairing? I use to have a ZX10 and used it to commute from Hampshire to Shropshire in the late 80's. There would be no way I would want to do the same trip on that thing!

It's only 25 miles each way - I'll manage :blink: Still got my car when I need to wimp out. For three years I only had the road bike and it wasn't too nice in the snow and ice. I really want to get something that I can play about with off road as well. I know it's not specifically enduro, but most of what I will do will be tame enduro at best.

I'm setting off to look at it before anyone else persuades me it's a bad idea :thumbup:

You can all say I told you so later :), but in the mean time does anybody have any info on enduro wheels for it and/or experience off road.

The first think I'm thinking is it's pretty bulky compared to the pucker enduro's, but almost identical to the 640 LC4 enduro once the wheels are changed. I'm fairly bulky myself, even though this thing does way slightly more than me. I think the rake angle on the forks is 1 degree difference.

Edited by bikespace

and two minor motoring offences remaining (by the same miserable copper on the way there and on the way back),

Not bad I reckon. :blink:

Slow learner BS. :thumbup:

and two minor motoring offences remaining (by the same miserable copper on the way there and on the way back),

Not bad I reckon. :blink:

Slow learner BS. ;)

I didn't see him on the way there. Apparently he saw me both times :thumbup:

Picked the bke up today - veeeerrrrry nice.

Still open to advice with the wheels. I'm thinking it might be simpler to leave it with the big disc and just go to the enduro wheels, then see if I can keep it out of harms way.

Edited by bikespace

I had a 640 Enduro - had two sets of off road size wheels, one with knobblies, one with smooth tyres. Could change wheels, discs & gearbox sprox in 30 mins. The one bike does all idea didn't quite pan out, still I rode the Welsh, an LDT & a French trail trip on it but sold it in the end - I couldn't stand the vibes no more...