Insurance Or Not?

davybull

I've been riding on some land in Cumbria for 4 years now with permission from the landowner, who I have riden with a number of times.

The land however is a public right of way and I got pulled by a Police officer the other day whilst riding and he "Strongly" advised me to get the bike insured. He said that if I had been riding irresponsibly or where there were a number of people he would have nicked me!!!!!!!!!

I have seen Police officers on the land before and they have not botherd one bit.

So the question..... Do I need to be insured on this private land?????

I was told that I didn't need it but now I have my doubts and will register the bike and get it insured if necessary.

Cheers.

Edited by davybull

yoe to ur bike does not have to be registered or insured if it is on private use registrations are for the road and so is insurance and if u are not using the rode you dont need it that police man is talking out of his a***

I think he was referring to some sort of public liability insurance which third party covers so if you run someone over or injured them then they could claim against you.

This probably only applies to private land which is also used by third parties i.e. the rambler brigade or if its an old bridleway or ROW which happens to pass through farmers land.

Either ask the landowner to designate one area for bikes and not for joe public thus keeping the law happy or get the insurance if its a good place to ride and its worth it.

we almost got caught by the law today while playin about on a private land track which runs parallel to the main road but luckily they drove up the mountainside to catch us at the top but we doubled back.

Its getting so that its increasingly difficult to ride anywhere without the law on your case.

Let me ask this elsewhere because it sounds like he was being a Pr@t.

Well got a reply from a Trafpol seems he could have been wrong. Private land is not covered by the Road Traffic Act. Usually Public liability insurance is only required if You are PAYING for the pleasure of using the land or an organised event is taking place in which case the landowner is responsible.

However if you keep checking this thread you might get a more definitive answer.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.a...=94188&f=10&h=0

The guys to watch for are Tonyrec(already answered), xxplod, Gone and Silverback Mike.

Edited by jemhunt

• 3 weeks later...

cozzer is probable right

you need the permission of the land owner

you need to notify the police under one of the road traffic acts (unless its permitted by a governing body)

and most importantly, you by law (also under one of the road traffic act) have to be insured because you are in a "public place" - the law was designated to stop boy racer in the supermarket car park (ie your not on the highway) and it lets the traffic police screw you

hence land owner permission is insufficient - you need 3rd party liability insurance - eg if you hit some bobbly who is asking for it there is something to claim against

rabie :D

I'm gonna end up going the whole hog here!

I'm booking a CBT course & a theory test soon and then taking a Direct access course. :D

Then all I have to do is get the bike licenced, taxed, insured & MOT'd.

This is starting to get expensive!!

:D

Quote from a Serving Trafpol

"If it was private land then i really dont see a problem if there is permission from the landowner.

Its not a road or part of a road so therefore not covered by the RTA '88.

Dont know whethwer or not you would need some sort of public liability Ins or not tho"

The RTA refers to open areas accessible by vehicles. If the Field is gated it isn't covered.

I was lead to believe that if you ride your bike on land that the public has access to, ie a footpath, you MUST be insured at least 3rd party.

Before you say it, lots of trials venues have footpaths thro them, and the same really applies.

We need a police officer on here to confirm or refute really would

be usefull.

there is no legal definition of "public place" I'm afraid - it was written deliberately vague so the coppers could do you for just about anything.

its not just next to road, or path (especially with this right to roam coming through) - technically a supermarket car park (that is closed) is "open" to the public but thats what the law is used for

rabie :D