Why Change It?

zippy

OK this may get me blasted, I realize that we are all individuals and require different things from our bikes.

I have noticed there are ALOT of threads about "taming the sherco 290" or "easing the power delivery" or similiar type of things. My question is two fold, first is there anybody out there that likes their sherco 290 as stock right outa the crate so to speak? Secondly, is there anybody that likes the power to be "snappy", instant, right there right now?

disclaimer: I have a 2000 290 that I bought used and I believe it is stock. I know this makes me look a bit silly not knowing for sure if there is 1 base gasket or 2 or if the ignition is retarded or if there were any carb changes, and it probably could use a new set of rings. But the previous questions are mostly "acedemic" any way, just curious.

I mentioned it on a previous thread but the 2003 290 I had was an animal and too much for me to control at the time ( as it was the first bike I used to get back into trials), but the 2006 290 I had last was way better as standard and I loved it . I don't see any reason why it should be messed with for a novice/inter rider....... but saying that, people will still attempt to 'tune' it to their needs ( or perceived needs ). People will always try and 'improve' the machine to accommodate their riding style in the belief it will make them better, when more time practicing correct technique will do more good.

IMHO :)

was having a savage time with my 290 and my boy was being tushed all over the place

geared it down with a 9t front and a 48t rear sprocket ,never messed with the timing etc

now we can blast it at anything and not get seriously in the ***** cause it is a lot more

controllable cause of the slower speed with the same power delivery. i love it to death. ggb

Edited by Andy
Blank lines removed

Love my '07 2.9 as is....though it will kick back hard if you don't put the boot to the kick start.

For me if it does not work well stock I's don't want the bike. I'll spend my time learning to ride the bike as oppose to spending $$$$ to compensate. Playing with jetting or the clickers is part of my fine tuning and thats it....rest is learning how to ride (by riding) and having fun.

We could all take some money and go do a trial school and be further ahead.

It's not what you ride but how well you ride it!!

my 06 290 is great stock, i put a black throttle on it and i taught myself to control the power, my old bike was a 200 beta,so the power was out of control but easy to maintain, first if you don't want to have a lot of power don't twist the throttle! the bike can be very soft, til you twist on the gas, the set up from stock is nice, balance at the bottom of a steep ledge or bank, front wheel right on it, just twist a bit and you are at the top! if you blink you'll miss it! the low end power delivery is awesome! and isn't that the point of having a trials bike? quick response and low end torque? if you wanna screw with the timing and reeds or jets, trade it for a beta! they are smoother, i don't know about you but i don't like wrenching on my bike especially when it's not broken, compensate the power and clutch and get used to it, who knows all that power may save you a few fives some day?...............................john

Zippy, that 2000 model is a popcorn fart compared to the '03, nice smooth bike though.

The '06 and '07 are indeed a much smoother bike to start with and you could probably say that MOST ride them stock, yet it is the same bike as the pros ride, so there is a lot of power there and more than a lower class rider can handle in some cases, so small changes can make things more accomodating. I try to keep from making any changes that are not easily reversed!

I can tell you someone who does not like slow throttles or stock 290's, and that is my old friend Author Itis! And there are other perks to a reduced ignition timing such as easier starting and lower tickover without stalling. Not everything is about maximum power, it is about control, and yes, the more you can ride, the better off you are!

My '05 bike was a 2.5, harder to find in the US, but more folks should buy them, SWEET! :)

copemech Posted Yesterday, 11:20 PM

Zippy, that 2000 model is a popcorn fart compared to the '03, nice smooth bike though.

That would explain the butter smell and the sudden urge I have to go see a movie when I get done riding.

Maybe I want an '03.

Copemech I definately agree that power without control is useless. But you mentioned a 2.5 bike, this is just off the top of my head but maybe some of those that buy the 2.9 and need to alter the bike dramatically in order to ride it should have bought a 2.5 instead. I have always thought that the main reason to buy one of the bigger bikes (Sherco 2.9 or GG 280 or 300) was to have HUGE power.

Again I must mention that I was just curious if anybody liked the bike stock because it did not seem that anybody was mentioning it, if there is this huge base of customers that must alter the bike in order to make it ridable than it would seem a design change is in order. (again) :o

Zippy today.

Again I must mention that I was just curious if anybody liked the bike stock because it did not seem that anybody was mentioning it, if there is this huge base of customers that must alter the bike in order to make it ridable than it would seem a design change is in order.

You seem to be making the mistake of thinking every year Sherco produced an identical 290 year on year. I think that each year from 02 the 290 got more fiery until 05 when it was softened slightly due to engine mods. I don't think the 06's and 07 owners have a problem with the power of the 290 as the factory have smoothed the bottom end power so much so that my dealer does not retard the ignition on these models.

I agree with you that we should have probably got the 250, and that the 290 probably has too much power for most of us. However the 03 250 I tried before I got my 04 290 was not a very good engine power wise. That said the new 07 250 is supposed to be a very good bike, however I have not seen one yet. All Sherco's in our area are 290's or 125 for the schoolboys. As I ride Clubman A and middle course I do not need full power like the experts so the retarded ignition and softer engine power suits me well. It is much easier to maintain traction and it starts easier as well as it has eliminated that scary kick-back.

Edited by John.B

John.B

you seem to have edited the "(again)" out of my original post when you quoted me. Obviously this means that I know the 290's are not the exact same every year.

It is nice to hear about the differences in engines from year to year as I do not have experience with the more recent machines.

:o

on edit:

Atomant- Yep there are alot more 290's out there than 250's maybe it is because deep down we are all power hungry.......that is another discussion altogether. But you bring up a good point about resale value. It is good to know that an idividual would get maximum return when finished with the bike, but is this worth it for time that this individual is riding the bike that the bike does not suit that individual or is difficult to control. Just one of the many silly things that run through my head. I gotta get out and ride more.....

Edited by ZIPPY

Three and a half year old Sherco 290 - just about as stock as you can get it. I put new pegs on it because the original pegs got mangled. I put new snail cams on it because the originals weren't enough to take a full chain link out.

Other than that, I have never blamed anything but the thing above the seat for any shortcomings.

I don't want a new one because I darent sell this one. I can't imagine ever owning a better bike.

I don't want a new one because I darent sell this one. I can't imagine ever owning a better bike.

You wont be disappointed with an 06 290 Gaz. The suspension is way better :o

should work better than this matey :wall:

1-gaz_hinton.jpg

People will always try and 'improve' the machine to accommodate their riding style in the belief it will make them better, when more time practicing correct technique will do more good.

It always cracks me up when I read people saying this. Of course practicing more would help more than any trick part, but who rides at 8 or 9 P.M. on the week days? (that's when I do most of my bike work) I have never missed a weekend of riding to put on some trick part or spent the money on that part instead of attending a trials school. As somebody who has probably one of the most modified trials bikes there is, that's part of the enjoyment I get out of trials..... messing with my bike in the evenings when I can't ride. It makes trials last all week and not just on the weekends.

As far as Sherco's go, on my '06 290 once I put a 9 tooth counter shaft sprocket on and taller bars I was able to ride it to my full ability instead of riding it worse than my 03' Beta, seems like a good use of my time and money to me :o

As one of the people who has posted asking and modified my bike, heres my answer:

A standard 290 (or 250) is good enough with the right rider to win any trial in this country (except WC round) 95% of the people riding them arent good enough, so the bike is changed/moddified to suit that person and the way they ride, if the vast majority of riders cant use the bike to its limit, why not tame it down a bit?

For a lot of people (the over 40's) they have come back to Trials after many years away, modern bikes and the way the power is delivered is nothing like what they may have been used to. Me for example, I have ridden TY's, Beamish, Cota's and TL's 20 odd years ago and got used to them, now trying a modern bike i just cant get used to the way it goes, doesnt suit my style, what should i do? Practise more? dont have the time so the easiest option is to make the bike more like what im used to, thats they way i think and im sure many others feel the same.

What would be nice would be a modern bike, with its great suspension and brakes but with an engine like a old TY250 in its power delivery, but no-one makes anything like that, so we all buy whats available and change it to suit our needs.