Steps

movingtarget

Working up to big steps seems to require a bit of a leap(;)) of faith it seems. I live near an abandoned marine lab thats got long 3 foot high steps, and 5 foot high steps. Now whenever I've tried the 3 foot ones, I seem to clatter against it quite hard, technique being bounce, throttle, wheelie, hit with back wheel first. I think I can do the double blip technique for smaller steps alright.... and 4 foot steps I can do but not concrete, just peat banks which are pretty soft. My question is how do you work up to a 5 foot step? I know a kicker helps, and guts, but what should I be working on now to build up the confidence and technique?

By leap of faith I mean that the technique is quite diferent between 3 foot steps and 4 foot + steps.

Thanks for your time.

I honestly can say I'm rubbish at putting into practise most things and have certainley never really measured any step I have done so may not even have experiance of the size you are talking of BUT......

I have watched and studied a lot of videos training and just promotianal/events and will say by watching these gave me the confidance too try something a little "alien" too me. The thought of on smaller stuff brushing the front wheel past the coping (or edge) of an object too spring you and the bike up seemed fairly logical too me and was not an issue, but when we were talking larger or more awkward undercut objects with no kicker the idea of pretty much planting the front end about 2/3 of the way up sounded like madness but with practise (lots of LOTS AND LOTS OF) and a good bit of timing on the throttle blips I am slowly getting there! albeit with a fair few damages too the bike but hey! if it aint broke you aint trying ;)

Thanks for the reply, I think I'm going to practice on the 3 foot steps some more but the proper way and not the 'splatter' way ;)

On a side note I had a fricken amazing time on the bike tonight, went for miles and miles through remote hills, no trails, no fences, just heather and rock ;) did a few 5 foot verts but they had a slight ramp at the bottom to get me moving vertically. I think I live in trial heaven, part from the fact I have to travel 80 plus miles to get to an event or even a city.

MovingTarget Posted Today, 02:28 PM

My question is how do you work up to a 5 foot step? I know a kicker helps, and guts, but what should I be working on now to build up the confidence and technique?

Something I found very helpfull when trying larger stuff is to ride with a buddy or two and have them "catch". Having somebody up there to catch is a real comfort.

A little known side effect of this though is that they can also call you a "sissy" for looking at the step and then "chickening out". This is great motivation to prove them wrong. Unfortunately this can lead to "Hey ya'll watch this.." syndrome. Which is usually hilarious..............to your riding buddies. ;)

I did that last week when my girlfriend came to see me while I was riding. Seen a big steep rock I'd never done before and said 'Hey watch this'. I managed just, jumping off the top with the bike going left and a leg going right, held it together though ;)

Might be hooking up with a couple riders later, I think big climbs will be the order of the day. I'm pretty sore after last night!

Ug, even sorer today, was on the bike for hours last night. Just exploring, finding steep things to go up ;) Juggling work(outside all day in the hot sun in boiler suits and wellies) with my obsession with riding up things on the bike in the evening really takes it out of me!

Ug, even sorer today, was on the bike for hours last night. Just exploring, finding steep things to go up ;) Juggling work(outside all day in the hot sun in boiler suits and wellies) with my obsession with riding up things on the bike in the evening really takes it out of me!

Even sorer in boiler suits and wellies - I just don't know where this post is going! ;)