Is Scorpa Ok?

jt25

Been doing a lot of singletrack desert trail riding in Arizona this past winter. One of the more popular bikes out here is the Yamaha YZ250. Add a tooth to the rear sprocket, and a large capacity gas tank and they will take all the abuse that the desert can offer. I recently rebuilt my 1975 Yamaha TY175, 29 years on the origional bore and piston. Granted, it was way overdue but after some TLC, new bearings, seals and top end the bike runs like new. It's never taken more than 3 kicks; hot, cold, or flooded. Say what you like about Yamaha, but they make one tough, reliable engine, particularly the two strokes. For what it's worth, the TTR125 is very popular with the kids and wives in the desert. I've seen them being abused and thrashed yet they keep on working every weekend. I would say that Scorpa made a wise choice when they partnered with Yamaha.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Man, you coneheads are perfect examples of why people don't want to give their "assesment" because someone with nothing better to do than find fault in someones "opinion"

An individual's opinion is just that.

DG

1] I compared """STOCK""" bike to Stock bike

I could do all kinds of stuff to any bike to make it more or less powerfull on the top or bottom end.

Maybe you need a little more in your bottom end ;)

Woody

2] Did I say the Yam doesn't have enough power???? NO, I didn't, in fact I didn't compare power at all. An army tank has more power than a Honda Civic but I'll just be you that the Honda Civic might be slighty quicker off the line.

Maybe you need a little more in your "open mouth"

B)

Eric,

How the hec are ya buddy?

Edited by ringo

Man, you coneheads are perfect examples of why people don't want to give their "assesment" because someone with nothing better to do than find fault in someones "opinion"

I see... You are justified in having "nothing better to do" than insult other people's input, but they are not allowed to make comment on yours.

"STOCK" in the USA can be either of two standard configurations from the factory. The US and South American importer (Tryals Shop) distributes both the light flywheel/aggresive timing and heavy flywheel/mild timing to the dealers. On the 2003 model, these were differentiated as the "Racing" vs "Competition" models, accordingly. For 2004, that naming convention was dropped, and you must simply be aware of the possible configurations when you purchase, or test ride!

Won't speak for Woody, but I was not insinuating that there was any fault at all in your "assessment" or "opinion". My point was that for anyone test riding a Scorpa, the wide range of performance possibilites (both stock and rider modified) are important to be aware of. Rather than insult your input and assessment, I simply added additional information and another dimension to the design of the bike for consideration by those reading the thread.

I spent a half day riding sections on my friends '01 SY 250 with the "slow" setup. I loved it! What a cool bike! I was really impressed that it has lots of power. It just isn't snappy right off the bottom. The snap is not always a good thing anyway, as others have mentioned before. Alot of the differences in peoples opinion on the "need" for power are based on the traction conditions. If I were climbing 40 foot near vertical sandstone cliffs all the time I guess I'd be more worried about power. The places where I ride are mostly slippy conditions so traction is harder to come by. Wish I had the dough to run out and buy me a nice SY 250. They are dang good from what I've seen. Jay

DG,

You've restored my faith in you as a competent rider and evaluator. I was not aware that there were two possible "stock" options therefore your added input was warranted.

Man, does my foot taste bad B)

Jay,

If I didn't know any better I'd think someone told you about the wall I was ridding two weekends ago. Not quite 40 feet, more like 30, definately verticle out in Lucerne. You'll like this... I've cleared it multiple times before but this time I took a slightly higher route and wasn't aware of the divet at the top that stole my traction. 30 feet straight down with the bike falling after you is enough to make a man out of anybody stupid enough to try the stuff I do. ;) I definately donated a far amount of blood and skin to that wall.

"He who rides with Ringo should not be faint of heart"

30 feet straight down with the bike falling after you is enough to make a man out of anybody stupid enough to try the stuff I do. B) I definately donated a far amount of blood and skin to that wall.

Any photo's of this one ringo? ;)

If I didn't know any better I'd think someone told you about the wall I was ridding two weekends ago.  Not quite 40 feet, more like 30, definately verticle out in Lucerne.  You'll like this... I've cleared it multiple times before but this time I took a slightly higher route and wasn't aware of the divet at the top that stole my traction.  30 feet straight down with the bike falling after you is enough to make a man out of anybody stupid enough to try the stuff I do. B) I definately donated a far amount of blood and skin to that wall.

Can you smell BS????

Ringo: I for one beieve you! I saw the avatar photo you had at another Trials bulletin board. California trials are rampant with ballsy sandstone climbs, so common sense would suggest that is what you do. Maybe you ought to start wearing roadrace leathers for daredevil cimbs. B)

If I didn't know any better I'd think someone told you about the wall I was ridding two weekends ago.  Not quite 40 feet, more like 30, definately verticle out in Lucerne.  You'll like this... I've cleared it multiple times before but this time I took a slightly higher route and wasn't aware of the divet at the top that stole my traction.  30 feet straight down with the bike falling after you is enough to make a man out of anybody stupid enough to try the stuff I do. ;) I definately donated a far amount of blood and skin to that wall.

Can you smell BS????

Definitely - if he was on the 315. On a Scorpa he may have made it.....

Dear Ringo, your sarcastic broadside at my comments displays an arrogance that suggests only your opinion counts. My opinion was just that - an opinion. I actually said I didn't criticise anyone for their choice of bike. Each to their own and none of my business. I know you didn't say the Scorpa didn't have enough power as I read your post. If you had read mine properly you'd have noticed I never mentioned you or your post. Merely my opinion and surprise of other views that the Yam engine lacks power, based on general comments in this thread and others.

Shame you didn't know about the STOCK two states of tune the Scorpa is available in too. Also mentioned in mine and DG's posts.

Hope that foot tastes really bad. At least I haven't got mine in my mouth B)

Dear Woody,

I'm definately not arrogant, I guess you just didn't realize that my opinion really is the only opinon that counts. I wouldn't say that I'm a good rider, just better than that Lampkin guy over in Europe. I wouldn't say that my brand of bike is better than any others, just better than yours. I most certainly didn't suggest that your foot was in your mouth, rather something else. ;)

Hey come on now, I'm only playing. Don't be upset because I make some other people laugh at your expense :D

Jay,

It has been suggested that I wear full moto gear when I ride some of this stuff.

Boofont,

I was video taped ridding that wall a couple of years ago but unfortunately not the failed attempt.

Marky,

Your right, I'm full of BS. I actually ride the novice class sitting down and hope I can make it through the section without falling over B)

post-2-1083338421.jpg

Edited by ringo

Ringo, good to have you back around here. I can always count on some laughs when you're posting. Now if I can get our buddy Sendero to turn on his computer... For those of you who doubt Ringo's tale, believe it. There are 30-40 foot walls at Lucerne, and he is crazy enough to try anything. I've seen his bike, it obviously has been bounced off many sandstone slabs. B)