Trials Gems To Share (uk)

atomant

Whilst I was chatting with some guys at the Forest trial who were there for the first time on recommendation and were thoroughly enjoying it, we discussed that there must be a variety of not that well know UK trials out there that are well worth going to but not that many people know of them as yet. So I thought I would post a thread and see if anybody knows of some gems (avoiding the obvious) coming up this year that are a must ride.

Any suggestions anyone?

Note: Please refer to the type of trial with as much info as poss i.e Type :- Easy/Hard - Twinshock / Pre-65 / Mixed etc etc. and where to find details.

Cheers

Ian

As you did'nt know about the Reeth Ian I will start with that one, its without doubt the Trial we all want to do out of any in the year. 3 days of Yorkshire, brilliant sections,lots of streams,gulleys etc ,sunny everytime I've been there, great social event and lots of Beer. Unless you take your entry up to Angela the night of the Regs being out you might not get in.

Hipwell Trial - Derbyshire, nice run around, 2 laps, steady for Clubmen but the hard route has a couple of tough sections but good challenge for any Expert Class rider in the UK. Streams,waterfalls,steps well spread out over about a 15 mile lap. Me and Ralph did this one for the first time last year and will be doing it again, think its in Sept should be on the Man17 or Mac Trials web sites.

John Mac - Derbyshire, 2 laps again, spot on 50/50 route and the hard route is good as well, Clubman route looked a steady ride around. Big lap 22 odd miles so might be worth taking some fuel with you or you might be pushing for the final 2 or 3. Lots of streams,biggish boulders,gulleys,slippy banks. You can also see Eiger on his TY tonking all us Southerners, its a joy to watch.

Northern Experts - Derbyshire, lots of streams and gulleys, some sections near the John Mac ones earlier in the year. Hard route is ok if you are Shaun Morris or Dabs but thats about it, bloody hard sections well above most riders and some are scarey, if you fancy a go prepare for a tough day. We do the Clubman route which is quite hard but a really good day on the bike, think I dropped 30 odd last year.

Bemrose - Derbyshire - Nice ride around, single lap, lots of streams and sections on rocky banks, hard route might be abit to tough for me but might give it a go next year. You can also see Eiger on here tonking every clubman on his TY

Jack Wood - Derbyshire - Prepare to be knackered, every section was challenging no main roads at all, you have to get a move on abit for time and just when you think its over you reach the River Kwai, 10 more tough stream sections to finish. Hard route is hard, clubman route is harder than most dual route Nationals mainly due to the 50 sections and single lap. Best Trial I have done though saying that.

Most will have heard of the above but some I had'nt untill recently

Must go, got a bit of a tadge on :banana2: thinking about that lot

Your spot on with your trials worth doing review beta ( not that I am biased of course) But Shock/Horror Eiger has bought a 300 GG what next you might ask is he going to purchase some proper riding gear and ditch the Wolf retro look.

Mac, Eiger bought a new bike? are you sure? if he can go round the Bemrose for 17 on a TY whats he going to do on a gasser? I did hear he was upgrading to Ellgren clothing though

Edited by Betarev3

Also the Hurran Trial, been and gone now but worth doing if you like very big slippy climbs with lots of roots. 2 laps of about 24 sections, usually filled by the closing date run by The Glos and Cotswold Club and located near stroud area. 2 routes, clubman route quite straighforward but if it p****s down will be tough, hard route is ok for me but some biggish climbs and scarey decents especially if wet, never rode there very well but keep going back, maybe one day I will learn how a bike grips in the wet.

All the one that Betarev3 mentions are fantastic trials.

Also worth looking out for are the Gerald Simpson, just been on last weekend, but a really good single lap trial around Coverdale. Clubmen route is good. Hard enough to keep you on your toes but nothing to scare you. Hard route, to hard for me, but looked pretty sensible. Outstanding scenary and a good day out.

The Doncaster cup trial in June run by Mansfiels Maun I think, is a good day out on the bike. The clubman always used to do the same route as the sidecars so it could be a bit easy, but the last year I rode it, 2005 I think it seemed to be toughened up. The hard route looked ok. Quite a few big steps though if I remember.

Finally the Dave Rowland, starts from the same place as theBemrose and very similar going. Well worth a ride.

All of the above are road trials by the way.

Good evening BR3 and Mac.

Thanks for the comments but I have declined Ellgren for now - far too gaudy for my liking!! The Yam was causing the hernia to re-appear so I had to re-consider a lighter option. Not only that but my 17yr old lad has been putting me under pressure lately so as a last-gasp attempt at retaining some dignity I had to make a quick decision. So a GG300 was purchased from my brother who paid well over the odds for the Yam in p/ex (It cost me to get him drunk for the deal but was worth it!!) Its got some power, if you cracked the throttle open on the Yam it would think about it for a day or two before responding, but the Gasser is too quick and has a much higher IQ than I will ever have!!

The Macc and Man 17 trial dates are accessible via the Macc website, keep your eyes open for the J Mac and Hipwell trials dates along with the Dave Rowlands and Northern Experts.

Tried to get in the Reeth but didn't make the ballot, will be camped out on the lawn of the secretary next year just to make sure!!

Just to add that we entered the Loch Lomond 2 day this last weekend and despite mixed fortunes this has got to be a trial not to miss, superb sections, scenery and a cracking bunch of people involved in organising the trial.

Eiger.

Just to add that we entered the Loch Lomond 2 day this last weekend and despite mixed fortunes this has got to be a trial not to miss, superb sections, scenery and a cracking bunch of people involved in organising the trial.

Have to agree on this one, rode it for the first time at the weekend absolutly breath taking views, great ride round the hill and good sections will be back next year :banana2::moon:;) (muscles might have stopped aching by then ;):D )

For the twinshock rider, the Classic Experts at Rhayader, usually on the Saturday of Rememberance weekend in November is excellent. Also look out for the Wye Valley classic road trial in September, starting at Longtown. Some superb streams, rocks etc