Motor Cycle Clubs. Do We Need Them? Will We Have To Find Another Way?

old trials fanatic

Lunch Breaks at Trials  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have a lunch break

• Would you like to have a lunch break
    • Rather not have a lunch break
    • Would avoid a trial with a lunch break
    • No Preference

Got to be a good way to go Ian, some of that unpaid effort and time deserves to be paid for in my view and could free up some time for organisers in the week to sort things out rather than giving up most of there weekends.

Not sure what the ACU stance would be if clubs were run as businesses and profit making ones at that but I think it would be the best way to go for some clubs. I am pretty sure Steve Irelands Enduro Club runs as a businesss, maybe loads do but i do remember how well events were organised and run and money spent on whats needed.

Yes the ACU would lose out

Steve Ireland does run his Enduro's as a business and does ok. The entry fees of course are way higher than Trials and the entries are normally quite high so theres more money in it to start with! But, the land probably don't cost as much ?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the entries are high Ian due to the way the events are run, its a very very impressive club and organised really well at every event i did with them. I'm not saying give up the day job but getting paid something must be a better incentive for many to help and give up there time in running clubs. Ask a 17 year old to give you a hand for 6-8 hours on a Saturday in the p****** rain to set out a trial for nothing and then ask him the same thing for 30 quid and see what happens, bet he'll ask if he can help out alot more often. I do abit, not as much as i would like to but I simply dont have enough spare time to help out regualry without it effecting my income in some way. May even produce enough to pay the observers which should bring a few out and put a smile on the face of the grumpy one :(

Edited by Betarev3

There you go Pete, why not? whos going to complain? better that way than having club money gathering dust in an old bank account for years doing nowt. Wouldnt it be easier on a Saturday/Sunday to say to the misses, just off to work love rather than just off to give up all my spare time for nothing this weekend. You could even set it out on a Friday and have saturday off and get paid doing something you enjoy as well,

Edited by Betarev3

Not sure about the lunch stop, but one thing I can comment on is the organisational side. I am 17 and I would NEVER take money from the club if they offered it too me for a day of setting out. I think that its a brilliant oppertunity to get out on the hill and get some practice and see how to set out a trial. Its also great fun to be out with people who know what they are doing. Also on the club front, I try and help as much as possible, but on several ocassions I have been held back because of my age, so that is a possible answer to why some young riders dont help out as much as they could with entries, results etc.

Not sure about the lunch stop, but one thing I can comment on is the organisational side. I am 17 and I would NEVER take money from the club if they offered it too me for a day of setting out. I think that its a brilliant oppertunity to get out on the hill and get some practice and see how to set out a trial. Its also great fun to be out with people who know what they are doing. Also on the club front, I try and help as much as possible, but on several ocassions I have been held back because of my age, so that is a possible answer to why some young riders dont help out as much as they could with entries, results etc.

Ahh, but what would you think if some people in your club were taking honorariums (cash pay outs) when you (and maybe others) weren't getting a penny ?

I would think that they were complete idiots. Why should you need to be paid to do something you love. A club should be run through dedecation and enjoyment, bringing money into the situation makes it more like work, not play.

I would think that they were complete idiots. Why should you need to be paid to do something you love. A club should be run through dedecation and enjoyment, bringing money into the situation makes it more like work, not play.

I understand your sentiments and I entirely agree. There are a lot of clubs out there that need young people like you :thumbup:

Old trials fanatic, you touched a nerve there! :rotfl: Why did you assume that I was a boy?! Does the pink bike not give it away? ;)

I wasn't too sure thats why I said "young people" and not "young boy" as I know of a few guys that have started wearing pink shirts as its meant to be trendy to get close to your feminine side apparently :thumbup::thumbup:

Old trials fanatic, you touched a nerve there! :wall: Why did you assume that I was a boy?! Does the pink bike not give it away? :rotfl:

I wasn't too sure thats why I said "young people" and not "young boy" as I know of a few guys that have started wearing pink shirts as its meant to be trendy to get close to your feminine side apparently :thumbup::thumbup:

strangley i was thinking the same,did'nt want to risk asking though. ;)

Talk of receiving money for setting out trials was done tongue in cheek. I never have and certainly have no intention of doing so at this time..... however- what happens in tyhe future when the 'old guard' have gone?

Our club has no youngsters. We run a round of the Youth Championship and have youth classes at all our trials, yet still no youths. I can see the point in the future where we have to make it worth while for people to help organise. Either that or stop putting on trials. What would you prefer?

My parents used to run trials and they both had to be members of the club to run the trials! It was done just to put something back and was OK.

Since then I have learned that there were a few other senior members who were never actually paid up members(*)... Its a trivial point, but just shows how pathetic some can be....

*It may be just a rumour but one was elected as a club 'head' and I'm told for 'deffo' that it was then discovered that they had never been a full member!

Worse than this though..... At one of the same club trials years later (others now in 'charge')...they actually charged the landowner to ride in the trial on his own land.... great eh!

I'm sort of 'aware' of other clubs that certainly pay 'expenses' to themselves. I reckon some of these expenses might be quite nice when viewed as a tax free income.

The answer is... Soon there will be no need for clubs as there wont be any land... But if we all become illegal we will have the access to loads of land... just dont get caught. The sad thing is that the more legal you try to be the more you will be nailed by the feds, insurance and the lot....