Motor Cycle Clubs. Do We Need Them? Will We Have To Find Another Way?

old trials fanatic

Lunch Breaks at Trials  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have a lunch break

• Would you like to have a lunch break
    • Rather not have a lunch break
    • Would avoid a trial with a lunch break
    • No Preference

what a topic!

on the original point, i get very cynical and tend to end up going down the AMCA MX line. they have a set formula of something like for ever 40 members the club must put on one MX. they then create new clubs as more people join. they then have groups that expand, contract and move.

they seam to exercise a lot of control over what their riders can and can't do and there appear to be a lot of people "miffed" about their system but it does deliver lots of events staffed with volunteers.

we do a similar sort of thing on a smaller scale for our local trials combine of about 10 clubs in north Kent. of the 10 rounds, you can't ride your own clubs one but have to observe, thus getting to ride the next 9 meetings, with one event per month.

on Atom Ant's points, specifically on cost

there has been a lot of debate up at the ACU about the "problem" of costs and for MX and Enduro they have devised a cut price alternative insurance scheme (3 option cheap as chips, half way house and current/traditional level). however they reckon they can't make it any cheaper for trials.

your figures of 80 riders making

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Motorcycle clubs, do we need them?

Yes we do, the club is the backbone of the sport, and trials is nothing more than a clubman's sport, I think you will find that the club who cater for the clubman the most, are the stronger clubs.

If it was left to individuals to run trials event's on a profit making basis, I don't think there would be a fraction of the event's on any given weekend, it would cost a lot more to ride and I doubt the sport would survive very long .

Many give to trials as a member of a club, being part of a friendly social group gives a person more incentive to give of time and effort than a few quid ever will, if they want to earn a few extra quid then they put in a few extra hours of overtime at work.

I also think those who try and make a living from the sport if it be riding, sales, or promotion are welcome to try, and more power to them if they can, but just the same as in any other profit making venture, your on your own, and no club should change how they cater for the clubman to benefit the business man.

I'm guilty when it comes to getting the younger generation to help, I'm one of those stubborn old buggers who think if you want it done your way, then you best do it yourself, and I do think I/we could give the youth more responsibility by let them put on an event or two themselves, there is only one way to learn! that's do it.

I do like the idea of ten or so club's running one event each and that club's members have to observe their own event, and still have the other 9 round's of a series to ride, sensible solution to the man power problem, but would only work in area's with a large concentration of club's.