Building Control Cables

amiller

Anyone have a suggestion for buying all the bits and pieces for making your own, very high quality, controll cables?

I have a need to create my own cables for some custom bike projects but everyone I contact wants me to send them my old cables and they will build a new one from it. I have no old cables to send. In fact no cable exists for these bikes. Thats why I just want parts.

Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Aaron

have a look at the Venhill cables site, there is a cable kit brochure which includes the :

WORKSHOP & DIY

THROTTLE & CLUTCH CABLE KIT

Combining clutch and throttle kit with parrot nosed cutter

and set of four storage boxes in their own housing.

PART No. VWK005

but some smaller universal kits also

Edited by malcra

The local motorcycle shops here sell individual nipples and outer and inner of desired gauge by the metre. Cables made at home end up costing about $15 each this way. Alternatively their motorcycle mechanic will make custom cables for people at an hourly rate. Cables made this way cost about $40 each.

Matt at Speed and Sport can make up custom cables. I'm not sure how large his inventory of odd nipples is (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?).

Link here.

Just give him the dimensions and specs and he can make them. The reason people want you to send the old ones is that it's a pain if the user doesn't spec the cable dimensions correctly (ask me how I know...). Listen carefully to the cable builder when they ask you exactly how to spec the cable(s).