Lightening A Ty80 Clutch

steptoe

Does anyone out there Know the best way of making the clutch operation ona TY80 easier. The cable is fine.

I'm sure this must have been done before so any suggestions will be greatly apprecited.

Thanks

We have one of the Easyclutch devices on ours, it does work but they are a fiddle to set up.

my sons ty 80 always felt a bit odd, then when i took it apart to rebuild, someone had not put in the small ball bearing between the clutch and rod, it made a small difference to the feel.

you can check it without splitting the cases.

Try a good cleaning first, and good cable lubing. Cable might feel free without load, but bind badly when under load. Have had that many times on vintage stuff.

The spiral gear design is susceptible to dirt, and the location, right in front of chain and sprocket, is right inline where the dirt flings into.

In the US, the spiral gear is NLA from Yamaha, so it is the weak link in keeping the old TY going. Good actuators are rare to find.

I have seen someone weld to the arm and lengthen it, then drill a new hole in case for the cable. Looked cobbled up, and welding onto an NLA part seems risky to me. I'd try the inline EZpull lever box, or the adjustable fulcrum lever and perch. Bob Ginder at B&J has them for full size bikes, I assume they woudl fit the TY80.

Also, if the bike is lightly ridden by small kid, take 2 springs out of clutch basket. (Dont' forget where you put them! need to add back later when kid grows and is more aggressive.) I have done that several times on TY80, TY175, and GG200 as kids moved up. Makes softer lever pull for their hands, and slip was not a problem as they don't use max power or tall gears anyway.

k

It's been a few years but I know my lads had an extension welded on to the arm, I reckon half to three quarters of an inch. I'm sure I don't remember a different exit from the casing, and I know the clutch was always good for him. Sorry I can't give more info, but should be easy to see what you can do to feed cable through if you use this method.

I've lengthened my clutch arm on the TY250. A bit fiddly, but i just drilled a piece of alloy and bolted it to the arm. It was a few years ago, and the bike has been through a few trials and trailriding with out any hassles.

Thanks alot guys lots of good info.

Can I get to the clutch by putting the bike on its side without draining the oil and taking the r/h cover off.

You can for working on the clutch itself, but the linkage and spiral gear are on the LH side.