Heat Conditioning!

copemech

As we here in TX have come around once again to Summer, with high temps and sometimes even higher humidity levels, we generally take a break from riding, with only one mid summer event done over two days PM/AM to avoid the killer heat.

As I recall, it was still near 105 F. last year at the start of the PM Sat. trial!

Made me think of the US Nationals going on over the mid year. I know those guys are not dumb, as you just Do Not Do a round in the hottest regions in mid summer. This stuff can kill you! Comments were made about the TN rounds and the temps! And depending upon the weather, OH can get really hot! Many are still extreme!

All things considered, does this give an advantage to the riders from warmer climates? Smage is snowed in for a good part of the year. I know some that live in areas that can be snowed in for up to six months! Many will make trips south during the winter just to get out and ride a bit, but this is not true heat conditioning. For this, you pretty much need to stay for months in whe warm periods!

If that is true, riders such as Florin and Ibson, even Webb from a moderate area may have an advantage. This is not a small issue because it literally effects your ability to think straight under heat stress, and precautions must be taken to insure worse things do not happen. Many times there is not even the slightest breeze in the woods, and it is hard to keep moving fast in a trial, even between sections sometimes.

I have ridden many trials where I may take in 72oz of water from the camelback over a 3-4 hour period, and never pee! It all gets sweated out! That is not good, as you should keep up your intake so you at least pee! And is has also been said that if you wait untill you are thirsty, it is too late, as you cannot catch up!

Then there is the thing about your electrolites getting depleted, which Gatoraid and others promote their rejuvination products. Basically you sweat out all your Salt, in a hurry! I would prefer to pee, I like it! I think it is good for trees and such, but sometimes it seems you just cannot keep yourself fit to do it!

I should add that as you get older, things do not become any easier!

Thoughts from our resident trainers appreciated! (Billycraig?) :o

Edited by copemech

Hi Mark,

It was only warm in Tn. Trust me, we've seen a LOT worse.

The kids riding the Youth National have it MUCH hotter and more humid

every year.

Sorry to hear about your peeing problem, have you tried penicillin?

with high temps and sometimes even higher humidity levels, we generally take a break

Good thing you do, The only event ive been to in texas was at red river last september 96 degrees. It would not have been too bad but we had already gotten used to cooler tempetures back home I got asked at least a half dozen times on the loop if i was ok came close to getting my first dnf.

Hopefully Pat will have all summer to get aclumated to the heat, Im a little biased toward farm boys but most of them are tough andcan handle the heat even the northern ones.

I have a tough time with the heat and humidity but i am one of those snowed in people. Detroit will be -30 in the winter at its coldest where we are usually 0-20 for most of the winter. In the summer it gets up in the 100's for a couple of days but this city is 90% pavement next to a lot of lakes so its a dull humid heat. So I have to cross train both ways. If its 35 degrees and raining I will ride. If its 0 degrees i will ride. If its 90 degrees i will ride. Your body will adapt but if it can not then it will shut down. You really need to know your limit.

--Biff

I have a tough time with the heat and humidity but i am one of those snowed in people. Detroit will be -30 in the winter at its coldest where we are usually 0-20 for most of the winter. In the summer it gets up in the 100's for a couple of days but this city is 90% pavement next to a lot of lakes so its a dull humid heat. So I have to cross train both ways. If its 35 degrees and raining I will ride. If its 0 degrees i will ride. If its 90 degrees i will ride. Your body will adapt but if it can not then it will shut down. You really need to know your limit.

--Biff

dude....google ....ENDURANCE FOODS or any combination of racing/heat endurance etc etc ......there is lots of products out there for long distance runners/cyclists.....a must in the heat!!!

I use E-Caps performance supplements.

I use their Race caps and the endurolyte capsules.

I take 2 race caps and one endurolyte cap one hour before the event, with lots of water.

I wear a camelbak and drink water constantly around the loop.

I take 2 more race caps and and endurolyte before I start the next loop.

I usually have to pee on every loop.

I am rarely sore the next day.

Staying hydrated is one of the most important things you cand do. And replacing the minerals you are sweating out is equally as important.

Dropped by the Camelback site today. They are offering a electrolite supplement pill you just drop into your Camelback!

Sounds like a good idea, I need to check the local bike shop to see if they have them.

Never have really liked Gatoraid, but the Propel water by them is pretty good!

You just have to drink like a fish in the heat! :o

I currently use Cytomax as my drink but I am changing to a product called E Fuel from Crank. The reason for the change is the Crank has alot less sugars in it so you dont hit that low after the high. This E Fuel is very popular in the Triathalon world. I used it for 1 one weekend and I noticed a difference. Post excersise recovery is greatly eased.

I cant stand the heat. I asked a Triathalete friend (also a ER Doctor) what he does. Basically he said to hydrate well starting a few days ahead. Get your potassium and your sodium levels up. He uses bannanas and salted pretzels.

I have the same routine for every event day.

morning of event 2 cups coffee. During trip to event drink Mt. Dew, stop at McDonald's get greasy breakfast sandwich with deep fried hashbowns and a coke.

During event drink propel and water like fish.

No food until trip home from event. Usually greasy fast food.

For practice days.

Ride until stupid (usually takes 2 minutes or less) Ride some more, drink a bunch. Ride some more and fall over when body shuts down. Twist ankle, heal up and ride some more. Listen to wife tell you how much of an idiot you can be.

Or is this just the way things work for me.

Now that I mention it sure don't sound too healthy does it?

Formula for disaster = Zippy + one beer.

I am toasted after just one. Low tolerance but on the bright side a cheap date! :o

Maybe if my minder would have slipped some beer in with the propel this last weekend in Ohio I would have been looser and actually opened up the throttle and made s few more of the steps.

Zippy, I feel an artery closing just thinking of that breakfast! Ah the good old days! A few stents should remove that from your diet.

If I eat anything greasy before a day of "Putting Out", I taste it all day. My son does it, but he has 11 year old arteries.

Did you ride TN? I scored section 3 on sunday, what class do you ride?

Here is California our pretrial heat conditioning consists of, hardboiled eggs, broccoli, jalepenos and gatorade.

And I know you'll say it's dry heat but.............preheat your oven to 450, open the door and place your face in it.

Same thing!

Actually we prehydrate and use a camelback, lots of water and bananas. Take breaks inbetween loops in the shade.

With low humidity (25-15%) you don't sweat a whole lot so you have to be careful.

Not alot of shade in the desert.

Edited by Dabnabit

paul_thistle Posted Yesterday, 10:52 PM

Zippy, I feel an artery closing just thinking of that breakfast! Ah the good old days! A few stents should remove that from your diet.

If I eat anything greasy before a day of "Putting Out", I taste it all day. My son does it, but he has 11 year old arteries.

Did you ride TN? I scored section 3 on sunday, what class do you ride

Paul I just turned 34 a couple weeks back, think the arteries are about 85.

Did not ride TN, I rode my first national in OH rode the Sportsman class. And had a blast. I had a few too many sections that scored like this though..........5-0-5. Wish I was more consistant, but if I was it probably would be 5-5-5.

Gotta agree that in the heat the best that can be done is to hydrate. Starting the day before is not a bad idea either.