New Zealand Trials?

nickc

Her indoors has got it into her pretty head that she fancies emmigrating to New Zealand.

My only concern, is there much trials action out there for a useless novice and t/s rider like myself?

Has anyone got any info so I can either talk her into or out of the idea?

Nick

If you are in the position to be able to make a living and happily move too NZ personally I would dive at the chance! My main reasons would be the great way of living portrayed by the extreme sports and by the many friends that have visited. Sounds like where I should be! (maybe after I get the degree?)

Hi Nick,

I emigrated to NZ (Auckland) from East Yorks years ago, it was a bril move that really suited me. This is a great place to live, climate is more convivial than the UK, people are mostly friendly and the trials scene is great with club trials, twinshocks and National events in most regions. Let me know if I can help at all, probably best to send me a TC message and swap emails. For me, there is an excellent opportunity here to make a good living, brilliant for kids. If you are into the country pub scene, then this is not the place for you, we don't have the same sandstone, brass laden pubs like in Castleton or Reeth for example.

Ta ta, PeterB.

If you want to have a look at the entrance requirements for NZ go to: Immigration website. It's not the easiest website to navigate.

Barry: Like most industrialized economies NZ is struggling to find skilled tradesmen.

Application under the skilled migrant category can take as little as 6 weeks from the UK (from SA it's a minimum of a year :o )

The trials scene here is pretty buoyant. Don't expect UK numbers though. A good club trial might pull 30-40 riders and the national at the weekend, a two day affair, pulled about 60 riders on Sunday. Here in Auckland we regularly ride Hamilton and Tauranga events which are the two adjoining centers as well as our own.

As Pete mentioned the pub scene is pretty poor. Like many "newer" countries the cities/towns are pretty spread out and walking to your local is out of the question as is driving.

My degree is some time in the future yet but I am doing it too allow me to move about as I wish!

Tell us all Tim how is the practise area/play time on a trials bike? is it frowned upon as it is in the UK? Have you got parks like those on the r2w site in AU? or are there just plenty of places to ride?

Hi Nick,

I'm sorry to say that I've just come back from NZ. We found that we couldn't live on the wages I was earning out there so just be aware there's a big difference between spending British pounds and Kiwi dollars. I am a plumber by trade and found myself having to go back to college to pass exams because they don't recognise our qualifications over there. At my age I wasn't about to spend 3 to 4 years studying for stuff I already know. That said, we loved it over there and we may well move back in a few years time when we are a lot more secure financially.

The trials scene over there is very much alive and I met some good people through it. I was based in Christchurch and in the local area there is a classic trial on the first sunday of each month and a modern trial around the 20th of each month. I used to be able to go out and practice any time I wanted because there are thousands of acres of land set aside for recreation along the side of the Waimakariri river, although it is a bit flat. I guess that it's similar all over NZ with plenty of places to ride, the locals aren't all worried about losing their subsidies over there and there's a lot more land per capita so there's not so many people trying to put a stop to our fun.

All the varieties of bike are available and spares are not a problem with dealers on both islands. Bikes are a little bit more expensive over there because the exchange rate is against us at the moment, so it might be best to take one with you. Also there are plenty of rocks around so where you can buy a good non bashed bike in certain areas of the uk, you might find they have been knocked around a bit more in NZ. The twinshock bike market is a bit different because you can get a good Tlr200 for about $1500, about

Hi Barry,

I have ridden trials here in Auckland for over 20 years. There are places to practice in most, if not all, of the centres but in Auckland these all belong to farmers who just need a friendly phone call to get the ok for a days practice. There are no real issues for getting a ride. Good practice spots in the Auckland area need about 30 mins to 1 hour drive to get there. We usually give the farmer a couple of dozen beers for riding a trial on his land, always been ok. One of my friends has a 1,200 acre farm which is always fine for a practice, bril rocks in the dry but just over an hour away from home.

Kevin has had some time in Christchurch in the South Island and found wages not so good, wages, opportunities and salaries differ around the regions. House prices have shot up in Akl, it's ok if you already have a place but hard for the first time buyer. Best if you already have a house in the UK and come here with some money. It's a shame that his quals were not recognised. I have a UK City and Guilds IMCT5 (Instrumentation, measurement and control) qualification which was recognised by the NZ Quals Authority and given an equivalent NZ qualification. This is the usual process for assessing a persons academic/trade qualification.

As Tim said, there is a real shortage of skilled trades people here, opportunities exist for most of the trades, builders, aluminium welders, mechanics and more, teachers too - maths and technology in particular - good hols, 12-13 weeks!

Bye, PeterB.

Barry: It's as Peter said. We have farmers who don't have a problem with us using their land as long as we ask before hand. A case or two of beer every couple of rides usually does the trick!

I can't really talk about the UK but I get the impression that the culture here (as it is in SA) is very different, motorcycles are accepted as part of the culture. Sunday mornings here have to be seen to be believed with trailers and utes full of off-road bikes whizzing around all over the place. The local trials scene even gets mentions in the national newspapers thanks to a very friendly journo. About a week ago there was a todo in the national press because ACC (accidents claim and compo) dared to mention that statistically motorcylists were more likely to get hurt than other motorists. This was taken as an assault on personal liberty and the popular press had a field day.

Nick: I arrived here just over a year ago after having to leave South Africa because of employment legislation that extremely anti-white. I have no regrets about choosing NZ whatsoever. The country ain't perfect but it ain't IMO far off.

Kevin: I was saddened when I first heard you were returning. I must admit that my salary isn't quite where it should be but this is normal for new immigrants. They usually take about two to three years to hit parity with equivalent kiwis. In my case I work for a small company that was practically bankrupt when I joined them. We're now doing comfortably and should be coining it within 3 years. I was lucky, I have an internationally recognised qualification and I walked into my job within 7 weeks of landing.

TFT,

thanks for your comments as regards my return to England. I am sorry to have had to return as I really did love living in NZ and the trials scene was very friendly. One good thing is that people involved in trials are generally good people wherever you are, the only problem I do have now is that its not so easy to find somewhere to practice and teach my two sons how to ride. Any suggestions anyone?

NZ is a fantastic place but at this moment in time not right for me and my family, it has however introduced me to rugby, a sport which I was never interested in, but am now very keen on. Go AB's and I hope the Crusaders win the Super 14 next year!

Kevin

I would just really like to thank everyone for taking the time to reply and setting my mind somewhat at rest. I'm an electrician so going to see if my qualifications will be recognised to make it possible financially. Sounds like I'll be spending more time riding and less time drinking so got to be a bonus too!

Thanks again everyone, Nick

Guessed would have to take a hit on wages for a while but just hope it doesn't hurt too badly.

What does AFAIK mean??? Sure when you tell me it will be obvious but tried and failed to work it out so far!

AFAIK: As Far As I Know.

Boyo, having just read of Big Kev's missives, he is right, actually he rode with us in christchurch, where we have thousands of places to go and no queues, shame he had to go back, we had a lot of fun.

if you want a contact in the south island let me know, Christchurch is probably the strongest and most accessable clubs and areas to ride, if not my brother competes in auckland so could be a contact there. Cheers.