Thinking About A New Helmet

ridgrunr

I'm thinking about replacing my Bieffe helmet. Hung it on the bars at the last meet, and the bike fell over. You guessed it...helmet got sandwiched between a rock and the bars. Has a nice deep gouge in the outside of the helmet and a neat circle and a gouge in the foam inside from the bar end and the clutch lever. Sure saved the bars though! So I'm thinking it's time to replace the lid.

Had a Shoei first. Heavy and hot! Then I had an NZI before the Bieffe. Didn't like the NZI, cheap buckles that started rusting right away and the interior material fell apart in a hurry. Both the NZI and the Bieffe pinch the tops of my ears. Doesn't help that I wear glasses. I mashed the foam in the top of the ear pockets a little, but it didn't help much. Man all three have been hot too. The Shoei is really heavy, and the Bieffe is heavier than the NZI and maybe hotter. I'm not sure the vents do much.

So I started looking for alternatives and came across an Xpeed Capella helmet while doing some cyberspace research. This is what it looks like:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item....101&Division=1#

Looks neat, is light, vented top and sides, and DOT approved. Anyone have any experiences with the Xpeed Capella?

Edited by Ridgrunr

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am on my second Shoei and its great vents lighter than a tr2p, best of all removable liner, smells great!

I think you have to be careful as a Bieffe was my first choice but it just didnt fit my size or shape, try before you buy.

My friend has one of these helmets and hasnt whined about it at all.

I have still have the cheapy NZI basic which i bought when starting and so i'm looking to upgrade too :D

heres a pic of my mate with his on to give you an idea of how it looks when worn.

BVM in uk do them for

post-2-1084044790.jpg

Edited by superflytx270

xpeed helmets are great they fit well keep ur head cool dont ask me how cause the vents are so small and they are so cheap to buy u can buy one every so often and have a nice new non sweaty helemt

I have the XPeed. It really depends what kind of climate your in.

The Xpeed is a bit to hot for here in Hong Kong....BUT...it fits REALLY well...and very comfortable/light/resonable price

Just bought an Arai..which was obviously a bit more pricey...BUT is much cooler to wear...which in the 30oC we have here now...and 90 percent humidity...is quite welcome!! :D

hi

i have the xpeed as well, bought the thing nearly 2 years ago now when i started riding. having never had any other helmet to compare to, i can't say if its better or worse. i wash the thing out once every few rides and have no complaints. i was thinking about getting a hebo helmet however i did try a frends a few weeks ago. but found the hebo to be the totaly wrong shape for my head to the point where it hurt my head. i suppose the moral of that story is that you should try before you buy. :D

Guest Yamaha_dude

I also own the xpeed helmet which i bought when starting out at the same shop as my yam and all other clothes, i went for it becausde it was the cheapest and at that time i didnt realise these lids were so technical, but even though the cheapest it does fit very well, it can get pretty sweaty but all helmets can!

It has no graphics but lots of other people where them and they are proboably the most popular helmet at my local trials :D

r2wtrials. I don't know if there is a law that covers helmets for 'off road' bike's, but i have see a couple of people that where using modified climbing helmets at a trial recently. obviously they would not be road legal, but they are well vented. i would think at club trials no one would say anything as long as you have somthing on your head a bit more protective than a bobble hat.

I don't know what it's like regarding ACU rules regarding helmets, but the MCUI (irish equivalent) states that all helmets must be D.O.T approved, so if an official decided to be picky he could exclude you from the competition for an ineligable lid.

On another note, I too have an xpeed helmet like this and have found it very comfortable, though my first outing did result in the peak being blown off ( in a gale force wind admittedly...), so make sure the central screw under the peak / visor is snug as it's the only thing really holding it on.

i think your supposed to be scrutinered a the trial but you don't need an ACU sticker - quite why i don't know. in MX and enduro we have to have ACU gold stickers on helmets (and all helmets get one put on when sold new)

should really have a sticker for trials as cycle helmets and pre 65 (made) helmets are jokes......

then again the fall out of compulsory helmets means you'll probable p*** loads of people off trying to introduce a sticker

rabie :D