Sammy Miller Products

old trials fanatic

For once it's not the usual Millers are crap, service lousy etc etc.

I had to grudgingly ring Millers today as i need a new front pipe for the TY250 and John Cane and J K Hirst hadnt got them in stock.

Spoke to a new voice, not usual miserable cant be bothered ones.

It appears that the business has been bought lock stock and barrel and has moved just down the road and will be trading as Sammy Miller Products.

I dont know much more and this is their first week of trading so they are trying to sort out the stock they have and put it on file. They assured me that they will be updating not just their records but will be enhanceing the website, not before time, over the next few weeks.

The new owners name is Richard Jordan and he is well aware of the "reputation" of Sammy and some of his staff for how shall we put it? a lack of commercial accumen and appreciation of customer service along with the effect that has on trading. :P

The phone details are as before and they are taking orders so no problems so far.

Just thought i should let you all know and i have wished him sucess as he seems to be a nice bloke with the right attitude.

Lets just wait and see and not tar him with the old brush.

He's told me the pipes will be ordered this week and should be available in two weeks so lets see if he's as good as his word?

Be interesting even if it's not exactly a hard act to follow i feel we all benifit from a good choice of suppliers for what is lets face it a minority sport.

Good luck :thumbup:

On the positive side - I received a nice letter from Sammy last week advising of his retirement, and info: regarding the new owners. Having dealt with Sammy for over thirty years I can report that my business experiences have all been good - my orders usually arrive within one week ( to Canada) - As one of the greatest Trials riders of all time I wish him a happy retirement

Be interesting to see how the new owners take the business forward. There is no doubting Sammy's enthusiasm for motorcycles in general and he has made available a lot of products over the years to enable similar minded enthusiasts to keep their old bikes running - but let not's forget that this isn't out of the goodness of his heart and to give the stuff away for free - it is a business and he does it to make money where there is a lucrative market - and there is nothing wrong with that.

What I disagree with is his telephone manner to customers, such as myself, when phoning to ask a question or to make a purchase. I don't know him personally and he doesn't know me, so there is no 'history' but his manner on the other other end of the telephone is brash and utterly unfriendly to say the least and has been rude for no reason on more than one occassion. I was taught good manners when I was young and I expect the same, unless occassion arises that dictates otherwise. I've used Millers for years and when Jeff Bungay was there always received a polite and friendly welcome and he was someone who would take the time to listen if you had questions. All that changed when he left. I've actually had Miller throw the phone down on the desk when he's had to go and find something out rather than place it down gently in the usual manner. And I've even been told to hurry up in no uncertain manner when giving credit card details in payment when I dropped my card whilst reading the number and had to take a few moments fishing it out from under my desk. If I hadn't needed the parts so badly I'd have told him where to get off and shove his order.

I didn't really intend jump on a character assasination as I've always avoided that before but I get fed up reading how marvellous and faultless his service is. Yes, goods are normally received next day and that is a good standard but should also be the norm these days for a mail order service. Some of the parts produced are of a good standard, others are not. Some fit well, others have to be 'coaxed'. So what I mean is it's not all roses but it's not all bad either. Different experiences for different cusotmers. If you know him personally you may get a better reception but that is not how it should be. No doubt he has to deal with complete idiots and worse on a daily basis (I used to take phone calls in our local dealers when he was dealing with shop customers, so I know) but that is no excuse for rudeness. And that is the one lasting impression that myself and many of my bike riding friends have of him - his brashness on the telephone.

And please, no-one say that 'that is the man as he's no sufferer of fools' as that is just an excuse for someone who is ignorant and intolerant. And who is one person to decide who is a fool or not....

Hi Guys,

Know what you mean about "Old Sam" but the guy is a legend and deserves a long and happy retirement.

His manner as always been brusque, and his wallet always tightly shut.

( I can well remember Sam and (desperate)"Banbury Dan" bartering over parts for our Ariel not one of them would come up with a final price for the bits and I ended up modifying the yokes my self). I know one of his suppliers is pinned down to the last farthing,and then as a job to get Sam to open the till,

But don't forget Pre65 Trials would not be on the map at all if it was not for this man.

So good luck to the new owners of Sammy Miller Products, we should give them our support to get the venture rolling again.

And good luck to you Sam Im' sure we will see you about.

Regards, Charlie.

Edited by charlie prescott

Well said and well put Woodie and like Charlie i too, believe it or not, wish Sammy the Trials rider a long and happy retirement. I hope he lives long enough to count it all :P

As Charlie said he's a legend, if not for all the right reasons, he is a character and all sports need characters.

Christ i'm getting soft in my old age. :thumbup:

Edited by Old trials fanatic

I must agree on the telephone manner. I always try to go through a miller dealer. As to the few times i have phoned, then a complete 'can't be botherd' attitude was on the other end, and only a few weeks ago i enquired about some cub parts & was speaking to the man himself, when i said i would ring back with my card details in 5 min he just put the phone down! Still havent orderd the bits but will do now its under new ownership.