Fouling Plugs!

titanium

My '07 2.9 has been fouling plugs as of late, generally after about 4 hours of riding. When I pull the plug it is black and sooty. However the bike runs fine for several hours, it doesn't act blubbery, actually pings a little at about 1/4 throttle. I am running v force reeds and 36 on the pilot and 120 on the main. I tried leaning it out on the clip, but it runs too lean then. I have a feeling my silencer is loaded up with goo. Could this cause the plug fouling condition? And if so, how would I go about cleaning out the silencer? It was suggested to me to go out and run a bunch of hill climbs, but where I ride there's not much in the way of big long hills. I tried the iridium plug also with the same results. Running a BP5ES right now. Any ideas?????

My '07 2.9 has been fouling plugs as of late, generally after about 4 hours of riding. When I pull the plug it is black and sooty. However the bike runs fine for several hours, it doesn't act blubbery, actually pings a little at about 1/4 throttle. I am running v force reeds and 36 on the pilot and 120 on the main. I tried leaning it out on the clip, but it runs too lean then. I have a feeling my silencer is loaded up with goo. Could this cause the plug fouling condition? And if so, how would I go about cleaning out the silencer? It was suggested to me to go out and run a bunch of hill climbs, but where I ride there's not much in the way of big long hills. I tried the iridium plug also with the same results. Running a BP5ES right now. Any ideas?????

try running 98 octane petrol i had exactly the same problem on my cr250 i changed to 98 octane and not had a bit of bother since

Running 93 octane BP fuel and elf 2 stroke oil, 80:1. Funny thing is, the bike never fouled a plug for the first 6 months running the same setup.

My dads 02 sherco 290 is ran at 70:1. :D

Edited by honda_tlr

The 93 pump gas should be fine in the later models. Never tried the ELF stuff, but I think it is a full synthetic so should be ok. Maybe you are on to something with the muffler thing.

If you can't get a good hillclimb going, surely you can find a place to blow it out on a scrambles track somewhere. Usually after 5 minutes of good hard running they ars smoking like a freight train from all the old oil in the pipe.

I'll send you some other info via e-mail.

ps- guess you ruined that expensive plug I sent you?

MC

I would try cleaning those expensive plugs in a proper plug cleaner or bead blaster before chunking them. You may be able to save them, never know!

Sent you the stuff, not to be shared! Sorry! You are a certified test pilot now! :D