Recommended Size Bike For Newbie Adult

mashman

hi there,

OK, I'm thinking of having a go at doing some trials with my lad who has just started. Been riding bikes on and off for more years than I care to think, but never a trials bike.

I'm not aiming to be the next Dougie Lampkin, so would a 125 be adequate or would that be too underpowered for me, I'm average build and weight.

I see a lot of 250+ machines advertised, but are they much heavier and is the extra power/torque necessary for someone like myself who will be doing the basic routes for the next few years ?

I'd welcome any recommendations / advise / pointers from you experts out there.

Cheers

Edited by mashman

hi there,

OK, I'm thinking of having a go at doing some trials with lad who has just started. Been riding bikes on and off for more years than I care to think, but never a trials bike.

I'm not aiming to be the next Dougie Lampkin, so would a 125 be adequate or would that be too underpowered for me, I'm average build and weight.

I see a lot of 250+ machines advertised, but are they much heavier and is the extra power/torque necessary for someone like myself who will be doing the basic routes for the next few years ?

I'd welcome any recommendations / advise / pointers from you experts out there.

Cheers

Hi, Mashman,

I've only been riding trials for the last 18 months or so and I've got on well with a 290 Sherco, but I have just bought my son a 125 Gasser and the power it produces is really impressive and it pulls me around easily.

There are several adults locally who only ride 125's and they do really well.

The main advantage to looking for a 250 is probably going to be price and availability (unless you're looking to buy new) there are lots of used 250 + bikes around.

Why not go along to a local event and ask around, in my experience almost everybody in the trials world are very happy to share information. The chances are you'll be shown a few bikes for sale, or pointed in the direction of someone who knows of a good bike for sale.

Good luck in your quest and once you've got a few events under your belt you'll wonder why you didn't start doing trials years ago!

Cheers, Stoford :D

Edited by Stoford

thanks Stoford,

was at my lads trial on Sunday chatting to the guys and they reckoned the 125 is plenty gutsy enough - just the availability issue as you say. At least I know a 125 would be OK assuming I find one!

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I used to ride a sherco 290 till this year when i switched to a gasser 200 and to be honest i haven't really noticed that much difference in power plus the delivery on the gasser is soooo smooth it's helped my riding oh an i'm 6'1 an 18st ;)