Sick Of It

neonsurge

I try not to ride the same sections all the time. Once I can clean a section, I make it harder, on the opposite, if I can't get through it with a decent 3, then I make it easier. Riding with good friends makes all the difference to me. Without them, I'm bored in no time. I'm 41 and I still think I am getting better all the time. I'm not as much of a risk taker anymore, but my technical riding is better than ever IMO.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of interesting advice here - thanks to everyone! I've only actually ridden the bike once in the past 3 weeks and that was only for an hour or so. I've still no great desire to get back out there but there's an easy club trial coming up next week which I think I'll enter on the easiest adult route and try not to focus on how well (or not) I'm doing. Treat it as a day out and see how it goes.

Yes enjoy riding the bike and enjoy yourself. Without enjoyment theres no point in anything regardless of the result. When self criticism and competition goes too far its not enjoyable. Dont pick holes in yourself, improve when you can and set challenges that are fun. Some might disagree but dont take it too seriously. If you got some mates or a mate that shares your interest its fun & more motivating but lets face it who cares if you F*** Up a section or 2. Some might say my attitude is a bit lasse fare but who cares, im not sure but i think ive spelt that wrong and im not even bothered see, enjoy the trial.

Neon, youve just hit the nail on the head then, it should be fun not how well your doing, bring the fun side back into it not the results/where am I in the scale of things. We have a bloody good laugh everytime we go out,plenty of banter and p*** taking and we do it as much as possible so we tend to improve by on the bike time rather then trying to hard. Get yourself in a gang of other riders and go out for a laugh on the bike

Riding a trial's bike is in the Blood, it's either there or it is'nt.Don't make the mistake of watching the the good guy's making it look easy all the time, they've probaly been riding since they we're 5 years old so your never gonna catch up with them anyway,best thing to do is to forget what there doing and enjoy your own ride.

I've got the opposite problem to you at the moment i want to get out and ride but i have to work weekend's untill late september now,so my need to ride is getting stronger by the day,maybe you just need to lock the bike away for a couple of month's and get on with other thing's in life.

there you go pretty much the same said as the other post's.

Try not to look at the overall result just focus on some sections you did well on, then you can look back and think i had good rides on sections x and y! I shy away from the easy route option riding round in fear of a silly 5 that can spoil your result then getting thrashed by a 60 year old on a 1947 Royal Ariel!

Ian

Tell ya what..Let me have your bike and I'll enter your local meet...After watching me ride round you'll be itching to ride it again if only to prove the bike aint as bad as I'd make it look ;);)

But on a serious note..it's always got to be fun that should be the reason your doing it. I've seen many a road racer start off and have a great time only to start getting too compedative and spending every penny they have staying at the front and being very upset if they didnt get in the top 3 every meet....And the stupid thing is they dont enjoy it anymore either. If you get to that point..Take a break from it for a while but dont be in a rush to sell the bike..you might want to be out and about on it sooner than you thought!! And maybe..just maybe if this summer got better that would help as well

Yes agree with all im sure everyone has had your thoughts about chucking it in at some point but this comes when the critical competative element outweighs the fun and enjoyment element. Like i said earlier compete but get the balance right. If it mwant being in the top 3 or nothing else bike manurfacturers would sell like about a few hundred bikes all in cos everyone else who would otherwise ride but knew they would never be in the top 3 would not bother getting involved and the industry would go bust. Paradoxically sport pushes competition over fun and enjoyment often enough and that will do it damage if it doesnt sell the hobby/sport/passtime in any other way. I too get sick of some boring A***hole banging on about who's the best and who isnt, I just want to enjoy this for ME & my friends who getinvolved at the time. Compete yes but theres more to life, abilities go through high and low points in all areas of life and sport, should it mean you cant go on-No indeed not, im sure after a break you will improve and get past this point and reach a higher plateu. Enjoy like i said i bet im worse.

Maybe a change of bike might reawaken your interest, try dropping down a grade and ride a twinshock or classic!!!! I stayed in my own grade and changed to a baby scorpa from a 250 2st, maybe a change is as good as a rest.......................

At the end of the day you need something to do on a sunday and trials is probobly one of the better ways of giving the misses the s**ts!!

Maybe a change of bike might reawaken your interest, try dropping down a grade and ride a twinshock or classic!!!!

Actually.... I've been offered an old TY125 as a project. No wait, I'm serious. That might put the fun back into things ;)

Maybe a change of bike might reawaken your interest, try dropping down a grade and ride a twinshock or classic!!!!

Actually.... I've been offered an old TY125 as a project. No wait, I'm serious. That might put the fun back into things ;)

If you really want a TY125 as a project you can have mine for next to nowt!

If you really want a TY125 as a project you can have mine for next to nowt!

Take 'em both Neon, you're my size, you'll need both engines in it ;)

Can't say i blame you thinking of going the twinshock route.

not so sure the ty125 will give you the power you want though,back then we used to go from the ty80 onto the ty175 and even that was seen as a beginner's bike,so maybe worth looking into a twinshock with abit more bite to it.

Some riders have found old twin shockers to be much more fun than the modern water cooled wonders. I like the simplicity of them and the keep on going no stopping riding style.

I am pretty sure that if Trials remained twin shock and no stop I would have become a very very good rider in that venue.

My motivation lost story includes becoming sick of the local Trials scene in Canada. Whenever I was living or working back in my Canadian residence, I would just go to the local riding area in the middle of the week and ride alone. Now I feel that I know every nook and cranny of the one riding area. Whenever I went out of the country, I always seemed to be in a place that there was no Trials riding going on. :blink:

Nothing wrong with getting sick of something. Maybe give it a break and then come back and try it from a different angle. ie twinshock or a different bike? I like variety in the game of life so I have a tendency to rotate into and out of other things such as Olympic and Powerlifting, different martial arts systems, road bikes, dirt bikes, cycling, changing jobs, trying out new sports, take up new areas of training and study, living in other countries, reading different categories of books, long hair, short hair, bald, clean shaven, beard. Change girlfriends once in while, be careful after they become wives, changing them gets expenses and dips into the Trials budget!

Whatever you do in the game of life, keep it interesting and inspiring for you. Show up at a Trial dressed as a balerina, it could give you a competetive advantage. I did that once at a martial arts tournament, I cleaned up my division, my opponents couldn't stop laughing!! Thanks to Dennis Rodman for that inspiration!

Show up at a Trial dressed as a balerina, it could give you a competetive advantage. I did that once at a martial arts tournament, I cleaned up my division, my opponents couldn't stop laughing!!

We had a guy show up, at one of our recent events, in a dress shirt and tie. It was pretty funny!