Leaking Through Spokes & Mot

thespikeyone

Hi all,

I have just changed the rear tyre and it has started leaking through the spokes!!!!! I had a look at previous topics and found the link to Ryan Young page on how to replace the rim tape. I am after a quick fix for the time being can I just re-seat the current tape?????? or even take it off and put it back on????

Also what are the legal requirements for a bike to pass it's MOT????

Also what are the legal requirements for a bike to pass it's MOT????

i just got a daytime MOT for my bike and aside from the obvious (wheel bearings good, brakes working steering head bearings good, shock linkage good, etc), you require the following:-

Rear reflector.

Horn (apparently for bikes newer than about 1990? this has to be electric and of a constant tone) I got one designed for a bicycle from halfords for

As far as the leaking spokes go, I tried new tape. I tried re-seating the new tape. I've put a bead of Silcoflex all around. I've now given up and I just pump the tyre up once a week.

Luckily it doesn't go down very fast. I'm sure all of the methods I've mentioned above work; but I'll be damned if any would work for me!

My pal has gone through the same process with his Raga and has given up and put a tube in; but his goes down in a matter of hours!

I'd love someone to show me how to get the new tape to seal.... I just don't have the knack. :unsure:

There is no need to seal rim tape, just remove tape, thoroughly clean wheel and tape, lather tape with tyre soap and refit, seal valve with silicon, lather tyre with tyre soap and refit - no leaks guaranteed!

There is no need to seal rim tape, just remove tape, thoroughly clean wheel and tape, lather tape with tyre soap and refit, seal valve with silicon, lather tyre with tyre soap and refit - no leaks guaranteed!

Cheers guys I gonna give your ideas a go in the morning :unsure::rotfl:

I'll keep you posted on how I get on.

If only it was that easy for me. Tried everything, I'd love to see someone fix the problem..... it's done my head in for sure!

Scorpa, a new tape does help, but it is a case of who does it originally, guess its some spainish guy with a fag in his mouth and it takes him a few minutes.

My record is about ten, but it really is a case of patience and perseverence. Remember how difficult changing tyres with tubes used to be when you first started?

Mail me if you want to try again might be able to help, possibly.

Took tape off, cleaned it refitted, then put the valve in tyre on.................. Leaked again ;):(:lol: Took tyre off, Rim tape had unseated it's self, reseated rim tape tyre back on........... Sweet as a nut :D:unsure::rotfl:

Cheers folks

Ohh now I'm jealous. :)