2007 Leftover Or Wait For 2008

fuma

I am wondering if the changes to the 08's justify waiting for them to arrive vs buying an 07 leftover for over $1000 USD less. In most cases I think it is worth it to wait for the new bike since the leftover is really a year old and looses value fast. However I plan to keep the bike for at least the next 3-4 years. I think it may be worth waiting for the new Keihin carb or is the Mikuni fine with the modification recommended on here?

I am also wondering how people feel about a 250 vs 270. I currently have a 99 Techno 250 and I am looking to upgrade it.

Edited by fuma

I am wondering if the changes to the 08's justify waiting for them to arrive vs buying an 07 leftover for over $1000 USD less. In most cases I think it is worth it to wait for the new bike since the leftover is really a year old and looses value fast. However I plan to keep the bike for at least the next 3-4 years. I think it may be worth waiting for the new Keihin carb or is the Mikuni fine with the modification recommended on here?

I am also wondering how people feel about a 250 vs 270. I currently have a 99 Techno 250 and I am looking to upgrade it.

As they say, your money your choice....are the changes impotant enough to you to spend an extra $1000??

250 v 270 - 250 Rev 3 is more than enough for most riders, the 270's I've tried are hugely more powerful than the 250. If you are used to the 250 power of the Techno the rev 3 is not too much different. hope this helps

Edited by Slapshot 3

I was very concerned about the difference when I was contemplating switching from a 250 to a 270 back in 05. I was worried about if I could handle the extra power, would it tire me out faster, etc.. I made the switch and have ridden 270s from there. The 250 is more than enough for most people, including expert, however the 270 is really smooth, and the extra displacement actually makes the bike smoother to ride in most every situation. The xtra grunt comes in handy while chugging up hills very controlled without having to wring out the motor. Power is relative.. weather it's a 125, or a 500, you control it with your right hand. If you have bad throttle control, you'll still get out of shape on any displacement. Some people feel smaller displacement engines are more easy to ride because they are more docile, but you have to rev them a bit more which means you have to be MORE correct with your technique. That's why it's good to keep the young lads on the 125's because it forces you to use better technique.. The motor isn't there to get you out of a sloppy situation.

Just some thoughts, I never heard of anyone going to a 270 and feeling like it was a brute, they couldn't handle it, etc. Lots of novice riders do ride them and ride fine. You don't have to be able to use all the bike's power to ride it well.

I rode an 05 Beta 270 today and it did not feel any stronger than my 250. It was actually mellow and very stable. I also tried a Sherco 2.9 and a Gas Gas Raga and both were too snappy for me but the Beta was nice.

I am going to look around for 07 bikes to see what is out there.

I little bit disagree with feetup69`s comments on difference between 250 and 270. I have tried to read every single article about these two bikes and in all cases, it has been

said that 270 is for pro`s or world tour riders. To justify my comment, I need to admit that I have had both bikes and really liked the 250 more. I`m not a pro or have even

several years of experience. However, I wouldnt like to call myself total beginner either as I did ride some years in my early teenage years. Actually my first bike was Techno 1995 so I have experience of that as well.

But lets get to the point. 250 is much smoother in low revs and will be for most driver easier to ride when driving slowly, turning tightly and trying to control the bike with clutch. It still has enourmous amount of power, which most of us never use and can be also very tricky to handle when you get yourself in wrong places. I mean, 99% of us would be better riders with 250 in my opinion. I ride with 270 -06 Rev3 and as I have decided to change bike for next season, I have only two choices, new Beta 250 or new Montesa 4RT. I strongly believe that choosing 250 is a very good idea and that it will help me develop my skills much faster than trying to control "the beast". But, we all need to remember that as I have also tried many different bikes that are same model, year etc. there are differences between these individuals. Try and see yourself.

But your initial question was, should you go for 2008 model? I really dont see why if you can save 1000+ cash and still have a new 2007 Rev3. The changes are more or less same every year and if you take a look at this list, it can be said that the facts havent changed this year either:

REV-3 2-STROKE

I think the point he is trying to make is that a 2007 model will be worth a lot less in one years time than a 2008 model in a years time, despite both bikes being the same age (if the condition is comparable.)

If you're not going to sell the bike for a good few years this is irrelevant and I'd say take the saving and buy the '07 and keep the money in the bank.

There are a few leftover 2007 Rev's available from the US distributor, there are only a few left and I need to sell my 1999 Techno in order to get all the money together for a new bike. I haven't had much interest in the bike since it is getting close to winter here.

The way I see it is that the 2008 most significant improvement is the carb, obviously a 2007 will be worth a lot less than a 2008 in the used market if I wanted to sell it in say a year.

I have also asked new 2007-2006 yearmodel bikes from USA and there really are quite many in the market. You can for example get 4RT Montesa 2006 and 2007 models and also Repsol versions. Here in Finland, there not a chance of this. Importer bring bikes in based on preorders which in my opinion is very understandable.

I find it a little amusing the talk of "extra" power between the 270 and 250 Rev3s. If anything the 270 is smoother and has better low end torque then the 250 making it easier to ride.

Hey fuma It's a shame Sonny had his 250 loaded or you could have tried his bike for a direct 2005 250/270 comparison. The 250 has a slightly higher compression ratio which gives a little more pop but the big (and often overlooked) difference is the primary drive of the 270 has an extra flywheel mass attached to the crankshaft. The other difference between my bike and stock is I have VFORCE3 reeds which make the bike pull harder in the low end.

I don't know what all the griping is about the Mikuni. I've had them on all my Betas since '87 even replacing the DelOrto on the '95 with a Mikuni and all my bikes have run perfectly. Yeah you have to tune 'em but hey it's a competition bike.

When you do get the new bike let me know. I'll help you dial it in and even do a few of the mods I've learned over the years to make it better then stock.

Dan

Thanks Dan! I really liked riding your bike. It was very smooth and easy for me to ride. I am going to go for an 07 since I plan to keep the bike for a few years and I feel it is a better deal for me.

I don't think I'd go wrong with either the 270 or the 250. I'll get used to whichever bike I buy. I just need to sell my current bike so I can get the new one.