New Twinshock Frame For Bsa Unit Single

beamish owners club

All this talk of pre 65 bikes being fiddled and not realy being what they should be has got me thinking, has anyone tried using a Vincent rear end (slightly modified) on a pre 65 bike?

And would it be legal if it was done?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 years later...

Where do we go from here then????

Just ride for the fun of it I guess. I only have a passing interest in the pre65 Scottish to be honest, I like to see how the people I personally know get on, and study the pictures of the bikes after the event! It's my opinion that bar a very few bikes it has no real historic significance anyway, it's gotten too competitive for that now.

Wayne...

Just ride for the fun of it I guess. I only have a passing interest in the pre65 Scottish to be honest, I like to see how the people I personally know get on, and study the pictures of the bikes after the event! It's my opinion that bar a very few bikes it has no real historic significance anyway, it's gotten too competitive for that now.

Wayne...

May I ask a question ?, what does PRE 65 mean to most people. People that consider, for example that steel tubing manufactured in 2012 to a 2012 specification is acceptable to make a frame out of for a pre 1965 trials machine will probably be jumping up and down by now. But please think about it.

Pat.

Hi Guy's,

I have had one intresting e-mail from a friend this morning.

And it may mean that we will try and do somthing about the situation, with support that is.

I will not give up on the heritage that I grew up with, and while there are true Brit trials bikes in sheds across this land, (and further afield), I will some how try to get them out of hiding to show and compeat. Just look how good the Colmore Revistment was for example.

So Pat, dont throw that polishing cloth away yet. and you guy's intrested show me some support!! OK. :icon_salut:

Regards Charlie.

Love that phrase Charlie "I will not give up on the heritage that I grew up with", me neither !.

Just after Christmas I was asked by somebody if I would machine for him a pair of B group BSA fork bottoms to accept,I think he said, the internals of some Kawasaki forks. He told me that he was going to fit them to his Pre 65 BSA B40 trials bike. I asked him if he thought that was acceptable, and is it within the technical regulations for Pre 65 machines, and also the "spirit" of the sport. He told be that he couldn't care two ******* about any regulations, as everybody does it and get's away with it. Has honesty also left our sport ! ?.

Pat.

. He told be that he couldn't care two ******* about any regulations, as everybody does it and get's away with it. Has honesty also left our sport ! ?.

Thats the problem. It's not about the integrety. The precedent has been set years ago, by who knows who?

I know Miller was using fiddle forks at least from the time in the mid 80's when I was in a position to see the Ariel on a regular basis. It was possibly done much earlier.

I think there is maybe too much emphasis on the Scottish 2day pre65. It's not the be all and end all in pre65.

But talking about that and the top accepted bikes what class would say the Yorkshire Classic or Bath Classic club put those same bikes in? I note they allow non British Carbs on Cubs?

Wayne...

Edited by wayne_weedon

motorcycle trials today is a very competative sport at all levels. pre 65 trials is no different. pre 65 trials originally were started to give an opportunity for riders of older bikes in the very early seventies an accesable mornings sport ( i reference an article by john smith from real classic which catologues the start of pre 65 trials in the rochdale area with the first running of a specific event ' the old timers trial' in july 1971, this was to become the shawforth shake which unfortunately was held for the final time last year)

competition breeds innovation and modification, unavailability of genuine products leads to manufacture and development parts which leads to competition and the circle turns.

'loose' regulation lead to easy acess to the sport for all the barn finds and dads old bikes and developed bikes all this took 40 years to get where we are today a very loosley regulated sport for even looser regulated bikes on ever more difficult sections. although many of the original riders no longer participate go no further than the pre 65 scottish to see an event won by a former world championship rider and multi british champion and understand how competative the sport is.

not only is the sport loosly regulated but those regulations are rarely if ever policed and i'm afraid to say 'cheating' is rife and accepted as long as no one complains and no one complains because most do..

a clear set of policed rules is long overdue, the pre 65 and other major clubs should lead the way by developing the same rules with a suitable cross over period of say 2 years and then everyone would be riding bikes built to much the same rules. the pre 65 scottish started the ball rolling with its excellent rigid bike ruls it now need to enforce them and extend them and it cant happen soon enough..

motorcycle trials today is a very competative sport at all levels. pre 65 trials is no different. pre 65 trials originally were started to give an opportunity for riders of older bikes in the very early seventies an accesable mornings sport ( i reference an article by john smith from real classic which catologues the start of pre 65 trials in the rochdale area with the first running of a specific event ' the old timers trial' in july 1971, this was to become the shawforth shake which unfortunately was held for the final time last year)

competition breeds innovation and modification, unavailability of genuine products leads to manufacture and development parts which leads to competition and the circle turns.

'loose' regulation lead to easy acess to the sport for all the barn finds and dads old bikes and developed bikes all this took 40 years to get where we are today a very loosley regulated sport for even looser regulated bikes on ever more difficult sections. although many of the original riders no longer participate go no further than the pre 65 scottish to see an event won by a former world championship rider and multi british champion and understand how competative the sport is.

not only is the sport loosly regulated but those regulations are rarely if ever policed and i'm afraid to say 'cheating' is rife and accepted as long as no one complains and no one complains because most do..

a clear set of policed rules is long overdue, the pre 65 and other major clubs should lead the way by developing the same rules with a suitable cross over period of say 2 years and then everyone would be riding bikes built to much the same rules. the pre 65 scottish started the ball rolling with its excellent rigid bike ruls it now need to enforce them and extend them and it cant happen soon enough..

Loosly i sort of agree with some of the points you make but who is going to scrutineer all the bikes at a club trial and if a bike is found not to comply with whatever rules are "agreed" what do you do? Tell the rider to go home? In a time of falling entries we as a club are DESPERATE for every single paying entry just to survive and cant aford to turn anybody away. Plus who would want the onious job of scrutineering and when would you fit it in timewise before the start of the trial on a Sunday morning?

Bit i dont understand about the scottish organisers clamping down on rigids, assuming they do, is why pick on rigids? They still have to ride the same sections that are tailored to suit the developed bikes, wont use the word cheat because i dont believe they are cheating as long as they conform to the letter of the rules. Are they not already at adisadvantage because they dont have any rear suspension anyway? Surely if you want to pick on any group then it should be from the top downwards. Then again if they did that perhaps the bigger names that people come to see, it's the people who come to watch and buy programmes etc that add funds to the organising club, might not ride.

Finally an original genuine machine manufactured before 31st December 1964 is such a god awful thing to ride that i would personally sooner ride a twinshock and if it was original or nothing then i would stick to twinshocks. Dont know how many but i am sure quite a few would feel the same. Perhaps thats another reason why you dont see many "original" bikes in competition.

Now if what you want is more of a parade of classic machinery then simply organise one.

I remember being accosted but one anorak once who took great pains to point out that i had apparently loaded the engine bolts on my bike from the "wrong" side. Told him to bugger off and get a life or better still get a bike and ride it.

Those that can ride competitively those that cant polish.

Love that phrase Charlie "I will not give up on the heritage that I grew up with", me neither !.

Just after Christmas I was asked by somebody if I would machine for him a pair of B group BSA fork bottoms to accept,I think he said, the internals of some Kawasaki forks. He told me that he was going to fit them to his Pre 65 BSA B40 trials bike. I asked him if he thought that was acceptable, and is it within the technical regulations for Pre 65 machines, and also the "spirit" of the sport. He told be that he couldn't care two ******* about any regulations, as everybody does it and get's away with it. Has honesty also left our sport ! ?.

Pat.

Sounds like he was being totally honest :popcorn:

How do people feel about when the sign a entry form they are signing to say that the machine that they will be riding conforms in every way to the regulations including the technical ones ?. I can remember that during the late 70's (in the road racing world)a competitor accepted an award only to aware that the machine he was riding did not comply with the technical regulations. A fellow competitor knowing that the machine was not legal protested the result and told him that if he did not withdraw from the results he would sue him for fraud. I might add that the machine had gone through pre race technical inspection.