2001 Rev 3

terry

Thanks for the help with info on the 2000 model pro and cons. Decided to pass on it because I just don't like USD forks. I have found an '01 250 and wondered if anyone could tell me an characteristics or things to look for on this bike. Help me one more time and I'll quit bothering you. Any tips appreciated because I'm going to buy this one unless there is a problem I don't know about with this model. Thanks for any help, there are just no trials ridrs where I live so there is nobody to ask.

Hi Terry (Knox?),

There are 2 2001 Betas in the STRA. Gary Garrison and Harry Heilemann both have them and as far as they have ever told me, they are extremely happy with them. Both do very well in our Advanced class. Are you looking at a local bike? All I can say is if it is in OK condition, it is a good bike to have.

Ron Milam

It's me Ron. This bike is out of town so I am tring to get some info on them. I getting it from a reliable dealer. He is going over it this weekend to let me know about brakes, bearings, ect. I know you like yours and so does everyone else that has a Beta it seems. I just like the build quality on them and the way the ones I have ridden handled but I haven't been on a Rev model before, just the late model Technos. Just wondered if there was anything particular to look at on them so I know what to expect and what questions to ask before sending money.

this dont help you at all but i reckon you are getting the nicest rev3 ive ridin i love the colourscheme and the power well that is what i like about it didn't they have the same rubish airbox as on the 00

I've had my '01 Rev 3 for two years now, and I love it. Mrs Boots suggested if I was going to change the bike, now would be a good time. But in all honesty, I'm really happy with the bike, and I'd rather spend a few quid every now and then to keep it running and looking reasonable, then invest a whole chunk of cash in a new bike.

I progressed to the Rev 3 from a '97 Techno, and the gain I experienced from making that switch I doubt would be mirrorred by a move to an '03 or '04 machine.

I've just got the old gal in for a few little tidy-up jobs prior to the TC Trial, but you can be sure she'll be with me for some time to come yet.

KB.

Terry - the 'Rev' is Beta's latest incarnation of their trials machine. The changes have been some swingarm mods, newer rear shock, mild changes to the ignition map, etc. '01 through '03 are somewhat similar in large part. The '04 has the engine 1/2" more toward the rear tire and handles even better (and lifts the front end easier).

I would say do your diligence wrt any motorcycle... top end noise? shifts through all the gears? no corrosion around master cylinders or calipers, etc., then BUY it and get out there.

I see you're in TN - have you ever called, talked to, visited the Trials Training Center? You need to establish a relationship with these fine people for a whole host of reasons.

Yea, I have been to the TTC alot and bought a '98 Gas Gas from them a few years back. I sold that bike over the winter and have been looking for a newer bike and they just haven't had a bike I was interested in or could afford. In fact, the bike I am looking at is out TX way at MotoMex. I like to do business with the TTC but looks like I am getting this bike from Danny.

I have had my 01 Rev 250 since new after selling my 95 Techno. I have had no unusual problems with this bike. It runs and shifts as clean as the day I got it. I have never had any issues with the airbox and I have been in some seriously deep water.

The 01 is a vast improvement over my old 95 Techno. It literally made me a better rider.

I have toyed with the idea of buying a new Rev, but just can't imagine any of them being substantially better. Besides the 01 has the best color / graphics of any of the Revs.

Terry - well if you're buying it from Danny of MotoMex I know the exact machine you are looking at - fine bike - the previous owner is a Beta loyalist and is very particular about his bikes (and all of his mechanical gear) so I think you can be sure the 250 has been well cared for. The '01 250 was traded in for Danny's '04 270 demo bike.

That's the bike. Sending the money today and waiting on Forward Air. Danny said it was in good shape and I take him at his word. I hate buying something like a bike from pictures but you got to trust in people sometimes. Everybody ain't trying to rip you off. It's just good to have a little confirmation of what you were told. I've never had a Beta before but I have never ridden one I didn't like so I am looking forward to getting it. My son will be glad for me to stay off his Montesa too. Thanks and I am sure I will be back with a few questions after I get it and set it up.

Terry

I ride a 01 Rev3 and I have been quite happy with it and will be trading up to an 04 this fall. I did encounter an air box failure that was probably my own fault and not that of Beta. As a result I went through the engine this last winter and it is an all new and powerful machine that always will start on the first kick no matter how long it sits between rides. There was a fork spring correction that Beta did on some of the early 01 production models that replaced the spring in the fork, seems the original spring would bottom out on some.

This bike turns great, has awesome power and is very durable, a perfect bike for those that only want to maintain their equipment rather than fix it. Good luck in your search and I think you will be happy with a Beta. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Well I got the bike so thanks for the input. What a sweet bike. I went through it and replaced a few parts like a bent foot peg bracket, fork seals, air filter, ect. Nothing major but I want to start off right . Been riding it for about a week now and I am so pleased with the way it runs and handles. You Beta guys were on to something along time ago!! The clutch works perfect and I expected it to drag some but this one doesn't drag at all even when first started. I was going to work on the suspension setup this weekend and basically just set the sag/preload and play with the dampening adjustment some to see what the different ends of adjustment feel like. Question about the rear shock. I noticed it has a knob on the front of the shock at the top and another adjustment screw at the rear of the shock at the bottom. What do those two do? I assume they are compression and rebound so if they are which is which and if not what are they for? The suspension is great now but I just want to see if it can't be better. I won't know if I don't try. My '98 Gas Gas had some adjustment but I never could tell much difference on the front and rear seemed to slow down too much with any increase in dampening. Looks like the Beta has a greater range of adjustment. Thanks for the help.

Terry - congrats on the new scoot! I'm glad you're pleased with the purchase... and welcome to BETA! You're right, BETA has a very tunable suspension system, probably more than any other trials machine out there, very plush.

The manual (and you should call Ron Commo and buy an owner's manual) says on page 68...

• For a more active "quicker" suspension setting , close the compression regulation knob (this is the larger "star" knob at the top of the oil cooling reservoir - I assume that turning to the right is closing but I don't know)
  • For a more controlled "slower" suspension setting, open compression regulation knob and close extension brake (screw C) (this screw is the very small one at the bottom of the back of the shock - again your guess is as good as mine as to which direction is 'open' and which is 'closed'

The manual goes on to list suggested spring preloads and valve settings for different rider weights - again you should probably buy a manual about $15 if I remember correctly. Call Ron or email him at the addr that SirDabsAlot supplied.