Cleaning Your Old 2t Exhaust ?

gregr

Anyone got any ideas for cleaning the years of oily gunk outta exhaust systems ... have time on my hands so it can soak fill with BRAND X ?

if needs be .... cheers Greg

te best way ive found is to find a big open space (feild) and drive round in 5th or 6th for 5 mins semi-flatout.

after this your bike will smoke like a train (if it doesnt smoke a lot its not hot enugh.)

all the carbon and oil should burn off.

max

I used to take the exhausts of my motocrossers and but them in a fire (oil drum or bonfire) for an hour or so, then just give them a few taps on the floor. It gets all the cack out. It takes the paint off too but thats nothing a can of PJ1 wont solve.

Take your exhaust outside on a hard paved surface. Use a hot air gun (paint stripper) and set it up so it blows hot air through the exhaust, leave it set up and running and after about 5 minutes you will notice all of the carbon starts to burn off. Dont leave it running too long, as it will eventually catch fire to the carbon and act like a flame thrower.....also will take as long to cool down afterwards :P

I have found this works great on non-repackable steel silencers.

Good luck

Martin

Non chemical option.

Follow all Health and Safety rules..... of course.

If it's a straight through front pipe like mine we're talking about:-

You need a 'leccy hand drill and a length of cable (and strong wrists).

Put a 10''length of 3 core cable in your drill chuck and bare back most of the insulation so you have a copper cat-o-three tails.

Put the new copper flail into the pipe first then switch on your drill.

A bit messy though.

All of the above will work. The 'cat of 3 tails' is best done in conjunction with the soak in brake fluid and ideal for the front pipe especially if it's chrome. If the exhaust is re-packable then change the wadding and clean the alloy box with paraffin, the inner tube full of holes can be burnt clean and wire brushed. If your exhaust is all steel with no packing I would go for the bonfire or blow lamp method. Do your burning away from the house or your wife will go mad with all the smoke!

Sodium Hydroxide works pretty good as long as you take precautions and wear good latex gloves (2x on each hand), goggles and a stainless wire brush. The stuff is easiest to find as drain cleaner, just read the back to make sure you don't buy some Al-Gore environmental do-goody stuff. Don't leave any aluminum parts submerged for more than 10-20 minutes as it will eat it away. Rinse off with water. I did this to my Sherco header and muffler (after the packing was removed) and it came out perfectly clean.

J.